- Volume 7 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Convergence Analysis of Factors Influencing the End-of-life Care Attitude in Undergraduate Nursing Students
간호대학생의 임종간호 태도에 영향을 미치는 융합적인 요인분석
- Yang, Seung Ae (Dept. of Nursing, Sungshin University)
- 양승애 (성신여자대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2016.05.20
- Accepted : 2016.06.20
- Published : 2016.08.31
Objectives: The purpose of the study was to identify factors influencing on nursing students' end-of-life care attitude. Methods: A sample of convenience of 147 nursing students, Instrument included death anxiety, death attitude, Self-esteem, Life satisfaction, end-of-life care attitude. Results: A significant negative correlation was found among end-of-life care attitude, death anxiety, death attitude. Death anxiety(
End-of-life Care Attitude;Death Anxiety;Death attitude;Self-esteem;Life Satisfaction
Supported by : 성신여자대학교
- Y. A. Choi, "Study on the Recognition and Preparation for Death in Elderly," Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University. 2008.
- K. H. Jo, & H. J. Lee, “Relationship between Self-efficacy, Depression, Level of Satisfaction and Death Attitude of College Students,” Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 38, No. 2, pp. 229-237, 2008. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.2.229
- S. Higgins, “Death education in primary school,” International Journal of Children's spirituality, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 77-90, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1080/1364436990040107
- K. H. Jo, H. J. Lee, & Y. J. Lee, “Development and Application of Online Education on Death,” Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 37, No. 4, pp. 442-452, 2007. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2007.37.4.442
- T. H. Kim, & Y. S. Son "A Study on Attitude of the Aged toward Death Centering on Family Enviornment, Physical and Psychological Variance," The Korean Gerontological Society, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 3-19, 1984.
- M. R. Chang, "Attitudes toward Death in the Aged," Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Women's University. 1981.
- H. K. Park, "A Study on Determinants of the Attitudes of the Aged toward Death -Analysis on the Attitudes toward the Services of Death Education, Social Supports and Ego Intergrity-," Unpublished Ph. D. dissertation, Kangnam University. 2009.
- S. A. Yang, “Convergence Analysis of the Factors Influencing Terminal Care Attitude,” Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 73-88, 2015.
- J. C. Quint, The nurse and the dying patient. NY: The Macmillian Co, 1967.
- T. S. Kim, & M. K. Cho, “A Study of the Nursing Students' Attitude toward Death according to Practice Experience,” Chungnam Medical Journal, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 275-291, 1993.
- S. N. Kim, H. J. Kim, & S. O. Choi, “Effective of a Hospice and Palliative Care Education Program Including Meaning in Life on Attitudes Toward End-of-Life Care and Meaning in Life Among Nursing College Students,” The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 454-463, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.3.454
- Y. M. Lee, K. A. Jung, & M. A. Son, “Attitude towards Death and Eithanasia among Nurses and Nursing stuudents: In Convergence era,” Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 6, pp. 213-224, 2015.
- M. Braun, D. Gordon, & B. Uziely, “Associations between oncology nurses' attitudes toward death and caring for dying patients,” Oncology Nursing Forum, Vol. 37, No. 1, pp. 43-49, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1188/10.ONF.E43-E49
- F. J. Shih, M. L. Gau, Y. S. Lin, S. J. Pong, & H. R. Lin, “Death and Help Expected from Nurses when Dying,” Nursing Ethics, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 360-375, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1191/0969733006ne881oa
- H. J. Lee, "A Study on Nurse's "Attitude Toward Death and Hospice," Unpublished master's thesis, Dong-A University. 2002.
- S. N. Kim, & S. O. Choi, “Nurses' Death Anxiety and Spirituality,” The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 101-110, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2010.16.1.101
- K. H. Jo, H. J. Lee, & Y. J. Lee, “Types of Students' Death Attitudes Majoring in Human Service Area : Q-Methodological Approach,” Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 35, No. 5, pp. 829-841, 2005. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2005.35.5.829
- S. Y. Jung, E. K. Lee, B. H. Kim, J. H. Park, M. K. Han, & I. K. Kim, "Attitude toward Death in Nursing Students," The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 17, No. 2 pp. 168-177, 2011 https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.2.168
- S. K. Chung, "A relational study on attitude toward death between life satisfaction and values of Juveniles," Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Women's University. 1991.
- L. A. Rooda, R. Clements, & M. L. Jordan, “Nurses' attitudes toward death and caring for dying patients,” Oncology Nursing Forum, Vol. 26, No. 10, pp. 1683-1687, 1999.
- L. Allchin, “Caring for the dying: Nursing Students perspectives,” Journal of Hospice & Palliative Nursing, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 112-117, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1097/00129191-200603000-00015
- E. J. Kim, "Factors Influencing Nurses' Attitude of End Of Life Care-With Nurses in Internal Medicine Department and intensive Care Unit as Subjects-," Unpublished master's thesis, Chungnam National University. 2012.
- L. Collett, & D. Lester, "The Fear of Death and the Fear of Dying," The Journal of Psychology, Vol. 72, No. 2 pp. 179-181, 1969.
- H. K. Suh, “Attitude of Korean Old Adult Concerning Death Anxiety,” Journal of the Korea Gerontological Society, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 39-60, 1987.
- J. A. Thorson, & F. C. Powell, “Eliments of Death Anxiety and Meaning of Death,” Journal of Clinical Psychology, Vol. 44, No. 5, pp. 691-701, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-4679(198809)44:5<691::AID-JCLP2270440505>3.0.CO;2-D
- S. C. Park, “A Study on the Death Orientation of Hospice Volunteers,” Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 68-80, 1992.
- J. H. Kim, "Relationship between spiritual well-being and attitudes toward death in volunteers for hospice care," Unpublished master's thesis, Kosin University. 2007.
- M. Rosenberg, Society and the adolescent self-image. NJ: Princeton University, 1965.
- B. J. Chun, "A study on possibility of the self-concept measurement," Yonsei Nonchong, 11, pp. 107-30, 1974.
- S. H. Kim, D. H. Kim, & H. M. Son, “Comparison of Attitudes of Nursing Students toward Death, Self-esteem and Life Satisfaction according to Clinical Experience,” Journal of Hospice & Palliative Nursing, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 144-151, 2011.
- B. Becker, N. R. Hannon, & N. Russell, Death and Dying Understanding and Care. Delmar Pub. Inc, 1994.
- M. J. Jo, & W. H. Jun, “Effects of End-of-Life Care Education using Self-reflection Diary on Spirituality, Death Orientation, and Attitudes toward Nusing Care of the Dying Patients in Nursing Students,” The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol. 15, No. 12, pp. 294-303, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.12.294
- S. Y. Yoo, “Spiritual Well-Being and Attitude to Death of Cadets in Armed Forces Nursing Academy,” Journal of military nursing research, Vol. 31, No. 2, pp. 65-76, 2013.
- H. J. Lee, "A Study on the Nursing Student' Attitude Toward Death and Perception on Hospice Care," Journal of East-West Nursing Research, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 88-95, 2013
- Y. L. Hong, G. E. Yi, & H. S. Park, “A structual model for health promotion and life satisfaction of college students in Korea,” Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 333-46, 2000.
- K. H. Frommelt "The effect of death education on nurses's attitudes toward caring for terminally ill persons and their families," The American Journal of Hospice & Palliative Care, Vol. 8, No. 5, pp. 37-43, 1991.
- S. H. Kim, & D. H. Kim, “Nursing Students' Attitude to Death-related Education Experience and Educational Needs,” The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 405-413, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.3.405
- S. E. Kim, "Knowledge of Hospice and Attitude Toward Care of The Dying in university students," Unpublished master's thesis, Catholic University of Pusan. 2014.
- E. J. Shin, “Influence of the Death Education Program on Meaning in Life, Death anxiety and Attitude toward Nursing Care of the Dying Patients among Nursing Students,” Journal of Oriental Neuropsychiatry, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 65-74, 2011. https://doi.org/10.7231/JON.2011.22.3.065
- J. L. Mallory, “The impact of a palliative care educational component on attitudes toward care of the dying in undergraduate nursing students,” Journal of Professional Nursing, Vol. 19, No. 5, pp. 305-312, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S8755-7223(03)00094-2
- H. R. Kim, "Attitude towards Death, Stress and Attitude on the Terminal Care among Medical Ward Nurses with Terminal Experience," Unpublished master's thesis, Catholic University of Pusan. 2014.
- M. Braun, D. Gordon, & B. Uziely, “Association between oncology nurses' attitude toward death and caring for dying patients,” Oncology Nursing Forum, Vol. 37, No. 1, pp. 43-49, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1188/10.ONF.E43-E49
- M. Maysui, & K. Braun, “Nurses' and care workers' attitudes toward death and caring for dying older adults in Japan,” International Journal of Palliative Nursing, Vol. 16, No. 12, pp. 593-598, 2010. https://doi.org/10.12968/ijpn.2010.16.12.593
- H. Kim, "Attitudes toward Death and End-of-life Care among Nurses in Nursing Homes," Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul National University. 2013.
- E. M. Wessel, & D. N. Rutledge, “Home care and hospice nurses' attitudes toward death and caring for the dying: effects of palliative care education,” Journal of Hospice & Palliative Nursing, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 212-218, 2005.
- H. J. Jo, "Effect of the death education program on the death anxiety and attitudes toward nursing care of the dying patients of nursing students," Unpublished master's thesis, Gyeong Sang University. 2004.
- N. Mogi, Y. Masuda, A. Hattori, M. Naito, A. Iguchi, & K. Uemura, "Effects of death education on self-determination in medical treatment in university students," Geriatrics and Gerontology International, Vol. 3, No. 4 pp. 200-207, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1444-1586.2003.00087.x
- E. H. Kim, & E. J. Lee, “Effects of a Death Education Program on Life Satisfaction and Attitude toward Death in College Students,” Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 39, No. 1, pp. 1-9, 2009. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2009.39.1.1
- K. H. Kim, K. D. Kim, H. S. Byun, & B. Y. Chung, “Spiritual Well-Being, Self Esteem, and Attitude to Death among Nursing Students,” Asian Oncology Nursing, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 1-9, 2010.
- K. A. Chi, "Influence of Spiritual Health, Mental Health and Death Orientation on the Nurse's Attitude Toward Hospice," Unpublished master's thesis, Daejeon University. 2003.