- Volume 52 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Hazard analysis for the fishermen's safety in offshore trawler using insurance proceeds payment of NFFC
수협 재해 보험급여를 이용한 근해 트롤선 어선원의 안전 위험 요소 분석
- LEE, Yoo-Won ;
- CHO, Young-Bok ;
- KIM, Wook-Sung ;
- KIM, Seok-Jae ;
- PARK, Tae-Geun ;
- PARK, Tae-Sun ;
- KIM, Hyung-seok ;
- RYU, Kyong-Jin
- Received : 2016.06.09
- Accepted : 2016.08.12
- Published : 2016.08.31
The trawl fishery is an important fishery accounting for around 30.0% of adjacent water fishery production in Korea, and the commercial fishing is associated with high rate of fatal and non-fatal occupational injury. The hazard analysis for the fishermen's safety of offshore trawler was conducted to serve as basic data for improving the healthy and safe working environment of fishermen using fishermen's occupational accidents of the national federation of fisheries cooperatives (NFFC) from 2012 to 2014 (n=464). As a result, the occupational accident occurrence rate of large powered trawl fishery was 241.4‰ in east sea trawl fishery, 6.9 times the rate of that. In addition, death and missing rate was found to have very serious level management to 97.7‱ in east sea trawl fishery of death at 6.2 times. The accident occurred in 91.7 to 100.0% was happened at sea. The slipping, others and struck by object and son on occurred more frequently in order in the frequency of accident occurrence pattern. However, the occurrence rate of death and missing did not match the frequency of accident pattern. In other words, slipping occurred more frequently while death and missing risk was not high. The fall in the waters was low while death and missing risk was high. The results are expected to help identify and assess safety hazard occurred in offshore trawlers.
Fishermen's safety;Offshore large powered trawler;East sea trawler;Hazard analysis;National federation of fisheries cooperatives
- Davis ME. 2012. Perceptions of occupational risk by US commer cial fishermen. Mar Pol 36(1), 28-33. (DOI:10.1016/j.marpol.2011.03.005). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpol.2011.03.005
- Kim JH and Chang SR. 2006. A questionnaire survey on occupati onal disease of fisheries. J Kor Soc Safety 21(5), 84-91.
- Kim WS, Cho YB, Kim SJ, Ryu KJ and Lee YW. 2014. A basic research on risk control measure for reducing the fisherman's occupational accidents in offshore and coastal fishing vessel. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 50(4), 614-622. (DOI:10.3796/KSFT.2014.50.4.614). https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2014.50.4.614
- Korean Occupational Safety Health Agency (KOSHA). 2006. Guide of records and classification for industrial accident. 1-60.
- Korean Occupational Safety Health Agency (KOSHA). 2015. http://www.kosha.or.kr/board.do?menuId=554. Statistics on occupational accidents in 2015. Accessed 26 May 2016.
- Korea Seafarer's Welfare & Employment Center (KSWEC). 2015. https://www.koswec.or.kr/koswec/information/sailorshipstatistics/detailSailorShipStaticsPage.do. Accessed 26 May 2016.
- Lee YW, Cho YB, Kim SK, Kim SJ, Park TG, Ryu KJ and Kim WS. 2015a. Hazard assessment for the fishermen's safety in offshore large powered purse seiner using insuran ce proceeds payment of NFFC in 2013. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 51(2), 188-194. (DOI:10.3796/KSFT.2015.51.2.188). https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2015.51.2.188
- Lee YW, Cho YB, Kim SK, Kim SJ, Park TG, Ryu KJ and Kim WS. 2015b. Hazard Factors Assessment for the Fisher men's Safety on the Vessel of Offshore Stow Nets on Anchor using Insurance Proceeds Payment of NFFC. J Fish Mar Sci Edu 27(4), 1129-1135. (DOI:10.13000/JFMSE.2015.27.4.1129). https://doi.org/10.13000/JFMSE.2015.27.4.1129
- Levin JL, Gilmore K, Shepherd S, Wickman A, Carruth A, Nalbone JT, Gallardo G and Nonnenmann MW. 2010. Factors influencing safety among a group of commercial fishermen along the Texas Gulf Coast. J Agromedicine 15(4), 363-374. (DOI:10.1080/1059924X.2010.509701). https://doi.org/10.1080/1059924X.2010.509701
- McDonald MA and Kucera KL. 2007. Understanding nonindustrialized workers' approaches to safety: how do commercial fishermen "stay safe"?. J Safety Res 38(3), 289-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsr.2006.10.009
- Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries (MOF). 2016. https://www.mof.go.kr/statPortal/. Accessed 3 June 2016.
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism (MLIT). 2014. http://www.mlit.go.jp/report/press/kaiji04_hh_000048.html. Accessed 4 Feb 2014.
- Park MK, Kim US, Kim SK and Lee YW. 2012. Code of safety for fishermen and fishing vessel 2005, part A. Hangil Print, Busan, KOREA, 1-531.
- Song JS, Choi HS, Seo JC, Kwak YH, Park WS, Kim SA and Yoon YY. 2005. The present state of occupational injuries and prevention on east side of Korea fishing. J Kor Mar Envir Eng 8(2), 78-82.
- Thorvaldsen T. 2013. The importance of common sense: How Norwegian coastal fishermen deal with occupational risk. Mar Pol 42, 85-90. (DOI:10.1016/j.marpol.2013.02.007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpol.2013.02.007