- Volume 52 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Hydroacoustic survey on distribution and density of fisheries resources in the Marado coastal area of Jeju, Korea
제주도 마라도 연안해역의 어업생물자원에 대한 분포밀도의 음향학적 조사
- SEO, Young-Il (Fisheries Resources Management Division, National Institute of Fisheries Science) ;
- OH, Taeg-Yun (Fisheries Resources Management Division, National Institute of Fisheries Science) ;
- CHA, Hyung-Kee (Fisheries Resources Management Division, National Institute of Fisheries Science) ;
- LEE, Kyounghoon (Division of Marine Technology, Chonnam National University) ;
- YOON, Eun-A (Division of Marine Technology, Chonnam National University) ;
- HWANG, Bo-Kyu (Department of Marine Production, Kunsan National University) ;
- LEE, Yoo-Won (Education and Research Team, Korea Institute of Maritime and Fisheries Technology) ;
- KIM, Byung-Yeob (Department of Marine Industrial and Maritime Police, Jeju National University)
- 서영일 (국립수산과학원 연근해자원과) ;
- 오택윤 (국립수산과학원 연근해자원과) ;
- 차형기 (국립수산과학원 연근해자원과) ;
- 이경훈 (전남대학교 해양기술학부) ;
- 윤은아 (전남대학교 해양기술학부) ;
- 황보규 (군산대학교 해양생산학과) ;
- 이유원 (한국해양수산연수원 교육연구팀) ;
- 김병엽 (제주대학교 해양산업경찰학과)
- Received : 2016.06.13
- Accepted : 2016.08.12
- Published : 2016.08.31
The survey was conducted to investigate biomass and distribution of fisheries resources using a quantitative echo sounder and a fixed gillnet around Marado coast of Jeju to obtain the scientific basic data for dispute resolution with a large purse seine fishery and coastal fishing and policy establishment of reasonable fisheries resources. Hydroacoustic surveys were conducted six times (November 28~29, 2015 (night), February 23~24, 2016 (night) and March 3~4, 2016 (night/day), March 30~31, 2016 (night/day)) using a quantitative echo sounder. The pelagic fish densities were relatively higher around Marado in November 2015, February 2016 and March 3~4, 2016. However, demersal fish densities were relatively higher in Jeju coastal waters on March 30~31, 2016. Catch data using fixed gill net were used to calculate biomass. Based on the hydroacoustic data, fish length-weight function and target strength information of dominant fish, the biomass of fishes were estimated as follow: 5.64 ton CV = 70.2% at night on November 28-29 2015, 7.14 ton CV = 35.8% of pelagic fish and 530.77 ton CV = 34.6% of demersal fishes at night on February 23-24 2016, 2.34 ton CV = 56.7% of pelagic fish and 571.93 ton CV = 40.3% of demersal fish at daytime, 1.39 ton CV = 48.4% of pelagic fish and 194.59 ton CV = 54.3% of demersal fish at night on March 3~4 2016, 0.37 ton CV = 72.9% of pelagic fish and 338.79 ton CV = 99.7% of demersal fish at daytime, 0.24 ton CV = 21.3% of pelagic fish and 68.61 ton CV = 53.8% of demersal fish at night on March 30~31 2016.
Grant : 연근해어업 자원평가 및 관리연구
Supported by : 국립수산과학원
- Lee DJ. 2011. Performance characteristics of a multi-directional underwater CCTV camera system to use in the artificial reef survey. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 47(2), 146-152. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2011.47.2.146
- Lee DJ. 2012. Fish length dependence of target strength for black porgy and fat greenling at two frequencies of 70 and 120kHz. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 48(2), 137-146. (DOI:10.3796/KSFT.2012.48.2.137) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2012.48.2.137
- Lee DJ. 2013. Monitoring of fish aggregations responding to artificial reefs using a split-beam echo sounder, side-scan sonar, and an underwater CCTV camera system at Suyeong Man, Busan, Korea. J Korean Fish Soc 46(3), 266-272.
- Lee JB, Oh TY, Yeon I, Kim BY, Shin HO, Hwang BK, Lee KH and Lee YW. 2012. Estimation of demersal fish biomass using hydroacoustic and catch data in the marine ranching area (MRA) of Jeju. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 48, 128-136. (DOI:10.3796/KSFT.2012.48.2.128) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2012.48.2.128
- Lee SJ, Kim JB, Kim MJ and Jung SG. 2014. Age and growth of rabbit fish, Siganus fuscescens in the coast of Jeju island, Korea. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 50(2), 169-175. (DOI:10.3796/KSFT.2014.50.2.169) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2014.50.2.169
- Moon JH, Lee DJ, Shin HI and Lee YW. 2006. Fish length dependence of target strength for black rockfish, goldeye rockfish at 70kHz and 120kHz. J Kor Soc Fish Technol 42(1), 30-37. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2006.42.1.030
- Oh TY, Cha HK, Chang DS, Hwnag CH, Nam YJ, Kwak SN and Son MH. 2010. Seasonal variation and species composition of fishes communities in artificial reef unit at marine ranching area in the coastal waters off Jeju island, Korea. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 46(2), 139-147. (DOI:10.3796/KSFT.2010.46.2.139) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2010.46.2.139
- Sawada K, Takahashi H, Abe K, Ichii T, Watanabe K and Takao. 2008. Target strength, length, and tilt angle measurements of Pacific saury (Cololabis saira) and Japanese anchovy (Engraulis japonicus) using acoustic-optical composite system. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Ecosystem Approach with Fisheries Acoustics and Complementary Technologies (SEAFACTS), Bergen, Norway, 53-54.
- Simmonds J and MacLennan D. 2005. Fisheries Acoustics, second edition. Blackwell Science Ltd, Oxford, UK, 1-437.
- Yoon BS, Yoon SC, Lee SI, Kim JB, Yang JH, Park JH, Choi YM and Park JH. 2011. Community structure of demersal organisms caught by otter trawl survey in the Uljin marine ranching area, Korea. Korean J Fish Aquat Sci 44(5), 506-515. (DOI:10.5657/KFAS.2011.0506) https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2011.0506
- Aglen A. 1983. Random errors of acoustic fish abundance estimates in relation to survey grid density applied. FAO Fish. Rep. 300, 293-298.
- Foote KG. 1980. Importance of the swimbladder in acoustic scattering by fish: A comparison of gadoid and mackerel target strengths. J Acoust Soc Am 67(6), 2084-2089. (DOI:10.1121/1.384452) https://doi.org/10.1121/1.384452
- Furusawa M, Suzuki H and Miyanohana Y. 1989. A multipurpose quantitative echo sounding system. J Mar Acoust Soc Jp 16, 82-93. (DOI:doi.org/10.11489/jmasj1986.16.82)
- Hwang BK, Lee YW, Jo HS, Oh JK and Kang M. 2015. Visual census and hydro-acoustic survey of demersal fish aggregations in Ulju small scale marine ranching area (MRA), Korea. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 51(1), 16-25. (DOI:10.3796/KSFT.2015.51.1.016) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2015.51.1.016
- Hwang D, Park JS and Lee YW. 2004. Estimation of fish school abundance by using an echo sounder in an artificial reef Area. J Korean Fish Soc 37(3), 249-254.
- Hwang KS, Yoon EA, Lee KH, Lee HB and Hwang DJ. 2015. Multifrequency acoustic scattering characteristics of jack mackerel by KRM model. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 51(3), 424-431. (DOI:10.3796/KSFT.2015.51.3.424) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2015.51.3.424
- Kang D, Cho S, Lee C, Myoung JG and Na J. 2009. Ex situ target strength measurements of Japanese anchovy (Engraulis japonicus) in the coastal Northwest Pacific. ICES Journal of Marine Science 66, 1219-1224. (DOI:10.1093/icesjms/fsp042) https://doi.org/10.1093/icesjms/fsp042
- Kang D, Im Y, Lee C, Yoo J and Myoung JG. 2008. Hydroacoustic survey of spatio-temporal distribution of demersal fish aggregations near the west coast of Jeju island, Korea. Ocean and Polar Research 30(2), 181-191. https://doi.org/10.4217/OPR.2008.30.2.181
- Kang D and Hwang D. 2003. Ex situ target strength of rockfish (Sebastes schlegeli) and red sea bream (Pagrus major) in the Northwest Pacific. ICES Journal of Marine Science 60(3), 538-543. (DOI:10.1016/S1054-3139(03)00040-7) https://doi.org/10.1016/S1054-3139(03)00040-7
- Kang D, Hwnag DJ and Choi SK. 2002. Acoustic target strength for Chub mackerel, Scomber japomicus. 2002 Spring meeting of the Korean Society of Fisheries Technology, 396-397.
- Kang HY and Lee DJ. 2003. Fish length dependance of acoustic target strength for large yellow croaker. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 39(3), 239-248. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2003.39.3.239
- Kim HY, Hwang BK, Lee YW, Shin HO, Kwon JN and Lee K. 2011. Hydro-acoustic survey on fish distribution and aggregated fish at artificial reefs in marine ranching area. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 47(2), 139-145. (DOI:10.3796/KSFT.2011.47.2.139) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2011.47.2.139
- Kim JI, Hwang BK, Lee YW, Lee KH, Shin HO and Kim JN. 2013. Application of hydro-acoustic survey technique for abundance estimation of juvenile cod (Gadus macrocephalus) in Jinhae bay, Korea. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 49(3), 270-281. (DOI:10.3796/KSFT.2012.49.3.270) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2012.49.3.270
- Kim YS, Choi JH, Kim JN, Oh TY, Choi KH, Lee DW and Cha HK. 2010. Seasonal variation of fish assemblage in Sacheon marine ranching, the southern coast of Korea. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 46(4), 335-345. (DOI:10.3796/KSFT.2010.46.4.335) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2010.46.4.335