- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Knowledge and performance of cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) in dental hygiene students
일부 치위생과 학생들의 심폐소생술 지식과 수행능력
- Lee, Seung-Hun (Department of Dental Hygiene, Cheongam College)
- 이승훈 (청암대학교 치위생과)
- Received : 2016.04.18
- Accepted : 2016.08.10
- Published : 2016.08.30
Objectives: The purpose of the study is to investigate the cardiopulmonary resuscitation(CPR) knowledge and performance in the dental hygiene students in Gyeongju. Methods: A self-reported questionnaire was completed by 106 dental hygiene students in Gyeongju. The questionnaire consisted of CPR knowledge and performance, and was collected from April 4 to 12. The data were analyzed using SPSS version 18.0 by t-test, correlation analysis, ANOVA, and multiple regression analysis. Results: The average age of the subjects was 20.6 years and 97.2% were female students. The students did not experience the emergency situation(96.2%). Approximately half of the students received CPR education(51.9%), but they did not have the CPR certificate(94.3%). There was a significantly statistical correlation between the CPR knowledge and performance(p<0.01). The CPR knowledge was proportional to the CPR performance skill. The CPR knowledge (p<0.05) and performance (p<0.01) showed a statistical difference by the grade of the students. The CPR knowledge of the senior students was higher than that of the freshmen and sophomore. The CPR knowledge (p<0.01) and performance (p<0.01) showed a statistical difference by the education experience. The CPR education provided the students with CPR knowledge and performance. Conclusions: In order to promote and maintain CPR knowledge and performance on dental hygiene student, it should be reinforced the more systematic training program which can be repeatedly evaluated and retrained than the present. In addition, a follow-up study will also be needed for the student and clinical dental hygienist.
Supported by : Cheongam College
- Jang CS, Lee CY, Kim JW, Yim JH, Kim JY, Kim YH, et al. A clinical study on the dental emergency patients visiting an university hospital emergency room. J Korean Assoc Oral Maxillofac Surg 2011; 37: 439-47. http://dx.doi.org/10.5125/jkaoms.2011.37.6.439. https://doi.org/10.5125/jkaoms.2011.37.6.439
- Keum KC, Paeng JY, Choi BY, Choi JG, Oh SR, Lee J, et al. An clinical analysis on the dental emergency patients visiting the emergency room of dental hospital of Wonkwang University. J Korean Assoc Maxillofac Plast Reconstr Surg 2009; 31: 35-40.
- Oh YH, Kim BJ. The effect of a cpr training for non-healthcare providers. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs 2005; 11(2): 278-86.
- Alexander RE. Summary of the new 2010 american heart association guidelines for basic life support(cpr). Tex Dent J 2011; 128(3): 279-88.
- Min MK, Ryu JH. Comparison of chest compression quality between compression-only CPR and 30:2 conventional CPR. Korean J Emerg Med Ser 2015; 19(3): 139-48. http://dx.doi.org/10.14408/KJEMS.2015.19.3.139. https://doi.org/10.14408/KJEMS.2015.19.3.139
- Park JS, Jeon HR. The effect of basic life support education using a standardized basic life support video program in nurses' cardiopulmonary resuscitation knowledge, attitude and performance. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Edu 2010; 16(2): 301-11. http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2010.16.2.301. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2010.16.2.301
- Yoo SY, Yu JA. A study on knowledge, competence, and actual performance of nursing officers in performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation. J mil Nurs Res 2011; 29(1): 65-80.
- Yoon JA, Kang JK, Ahn HJ, Choi JH, Kim CY. A study on types and counterplans of medical accident experienced by dentists in seoul(2004). Korean J Oral Med 2005; 30(2): 163-200.
- Cho KA. Kim H, Lee BS, Kwon WY, Kim MS, Seo KS, et al. The survey of dentists: updated knowledge about basic life support and experiences of dental emergency in Korea. J Korean Dent Sci Anesthesiol 2014; 14(1): 17-27. https://doi.org/10.17245/jkdsa.2014.14.1.17
- Jeong KY, Ha MO. Knowledge and attitude toward cardiopulmonary resuscitation in dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014; 14(5): 703-13. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.05.703. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.05.703
- Park SS, Jang GW, Hwang MY. Perception, attitude and knowledge of cardiopulmonary resuscitation in dental hygiene students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013; 13(6): 1079-86. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.06.1079 https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.06.1079
- Choi HJ, Jun SK, Yoo EM. Knowledge and attitude according to learning experiences of CPR for dental hygiene students in some areas. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011; 11(2): 223-32.
- Cho HS. Relationship between cardiopulmonary resuscitation (cpr) knowledge, professional attitude, and job performance [Master's thesis]. Suwon: Univ. of Ajou, 2013.
- Choi HO. A study on knowledge and competence of hospital nurses in performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation. J Korean Crit Care Nurs 2008; 1(1): 85-97.
- Cho HY. Analysis of nurses' attitude toward basic life support and influencing factors[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Yonsei, 2008.
- Oh SI, Han SS. A study on the sustainable effects of reeducation on cardiopulmonary resuscitation on nurses' knowledge and skills. J Korean Acad Nurs 2008; 38(3): 383-92. http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.3.383. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.3.383
- Kim HS, Choi EY. Continuity of BLS training effects in nursing students. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Edu 2012; 18(1): 102-10. http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.1.102. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.1.102
- Park YS, Kim YM, Lee WJ, Kim HJ, Kim YB, Jeong WJ, et al. How knowledge-only reinforcement can impact time-related changes in basic life support(bls) skills of medical students on clinical clerkship. J Korean Soc Emerg Med 2006; 17(1): 45-50.