- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Participation motivation and satisfaction of continuing education in the dental hygienists
치과위생사의 보수교육 참여동기와 교육만족도에 관한 연구
- Received : 2016.06.05
- Accepted : 2016.08.05
- Published : 2016.08.30
Objectives: The purpose of the study is to investigate the participation motivation and satisfaction of continuing education in the dental hygienists. Methods: A self-reported questionnaire was completed by 900 dental hygienists in Seoul and Gyeonggido in continuing education 2015. The questionnaire consisted of general characteristics of the subjects (7 items), continuing education requirements (6 items), and continuing education evaluation (9 items). Cronbach's alpha was 0.859 in participation motivation and 0.901 in satisfaction. Likert five point scale was used. Data were analyzed by SPSS 22.0 program. Results: The priorities of the contents were as follows; patient care and counseling(49.0%), the latest information and technology(43.9%), middle management roles(23.3%), health care management(17.6%), and lecture studies(4.4%) in order by multiple responses survey. The favorite instructors were specialized dental hygienist(52.3%). The ideal pay for education fee was 50 percent supported by the institution. The best official announcement of education was e-mail. The participation motivation of education was 4.45 points and was focused on the education completion issue. The lowest score was 2.77 of development of human relationships between participants. The choice for instructor was 3.43 and the lowest score was 2.49 of education fee. Overall satisfaction score was 3.04. Conclusions: Diversification of the continuing education is very important. It is necessary to develop and implement the education methods and to train the dental hygiene specialists for the education.
continuing education;dental hygienist;motivation of participation;satisfaction level
- Park HS, Choi HS. The study on the of empowerment of dental hygienists and job satisfaction immersion in the organization. J Dent Hyg Sci 2005; 11(1): 175-81.
- Kang BW, Lee SM. A study on the relationship of empowerment, self-efficacy, and turnover intention of dental hygienists. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg Education 2002; 2(2): 131-43.
- Park SJ. A study on the continuing education for dental hygienist[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Dankook, 2001.
- Jung JY. A study on the evaluation of management of continuing education programs for the improvement of the job performance of dental hygienists[Doctoral dissertation]. Seoul: Univ. of Dankook, 2014.
- Aamodt MG, Surrette MA, Cohen D. Understanding statistics in industrial/organizational psychology and human resource management. 2nd ed. Belmont: Wadsworth Publishing; 2010.
- Lee S. The effect of oral health on 'health related quality of life'. Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, Iksan, Wonkwang University, 2011.
- Lee SM. A study on the retraining of dental hygienist in Jeonbuk[Master's thesis]. Jeonbuk: Univ. of Wonkwang, 2013.
- Huh ES. A study on the current status of in-service education and its aim for quality enhancement of child care teachers [Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Sungkyunkwan, 2007.
- Cabanor RP, Denofa JR. Design and administration of a continuing policy. Am J Med Technol 1981; 47: 715-23.
- Jeung DY, Chang SJ, Noh HJ, Chung WG. Effects of educational training and psychosocial characteristics on job involvement in dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2015; 15(4): 465-71. http://dx.doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.4.465. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.4.465
- Ahn SE. A study on the awareness and satisfaction about maintenance education for dental hygienists[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Dankook, 2005.
- Jung JY, Kim KM, Cho MS, Ahn GS, Song KH, Choi HJ, et al. A study on the state of inservice education for dental hygienists and their relevant awareness. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg Education 2007; 7(1): 73-89.
- Lee SM, Lee EK. A study on continuing education and satisfaction of dental hygienists in Busan region. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg 2009; 11(2): 197-207.
- Kim YS. Study on the development of continuing education program for dental hygienist. Korea higher vocational education association 2008; 9(2): 97-109.
- Lee SH, Park IS. Comparison of the state of supplementary education for dental hygienists and relevant needs between the metropolitan area and the provinces. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg 2010; 12(2): 109-26.
- Park IS, Lee SH. A study on satisfaction level with supplementary education among dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011; 11(2): 159-67.
Supported by : 동남보건대학교