- Volume 22 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Comparison of Perceived Health Status, Social Support and Residential Satisfaction in Longterm Care Hospital and Nursing Homes
요양병원과 요양시설 노인의 건강상태, 사회적 지지 및 거주만족도
- Yun, Dongwon (Hangeoleum Rehabilitation Hospital)
- 윤동원 (한걸음병원)
- Received : 2015.08.10
- Accepted : 2016.01.28
- Published : 2016.05.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to identify and compare the differences on perceived health status, Activities of Daily Livings (ADL), social support, and residential satisfaction between long-term care hospitals and nursing homes. Methods: Data was collected through questionnaires and interviews conducted from March 29 to April 22, 2011. The subjects were 66 old adults in 3 long-term care hospitals and 53 old adults in 6 nursing homes. Data were analyzed by Pearson's correlation analysis and t-tests. Results: ADL and subjective health status in nursing homes were worse than those in long-term hospitals, but it was not statistically significant (p>.05). Old adults in nursing homes received more emotional support from other residents and staff, and received more instrumental support from staff than those in long-term care hospitals (p<.001). The mean scores of resident satisfaction in long-term care hospitals and nursing homes were 3.53 (
- Statistics Korea. Population in Broad Age Groups and Aging index [Internet]. Daejeon: Statistics Korea. 2012 [Cited 2014 August 14]. Available from: http://kosis.kr/statHtml/statHtml.do?orgId=113&tblId=DT_113_STBL_1015457&vw_cd=MT_ZITLE&listid=113_11314_02&seqNo=&lang_mode=ko&language=kor&obj_var_id=&itm_id=&conn_path=E1.
- Lee KO, Im ML. A Study on the Level of Demand for Nursing Service for the Old People Resident in the Nursing Home. Nursing Science. 2002;14(2):45-56.
- Statistics Korea. Status of Welfare Facilities for Older People [Internet]. Daejeon:Statistics Korea. 2013 [Cited 2015 March 4]. Available from: http://kosis.kr/statisticsList/statisticsList_01List.jsp?vwcd=MT_ZTITLE&parentId=D#SubCont
- Ju HJ. (2014, October 10). Encouraging long term admission Long-term care hospital. Kyunghyang Shinmun. Retrieved from http://news.khan.co.kr/kh_news/khan_art_view.html?artid=201410101818202&code=900303.
- Kim HS, Jung YM, Lee HS, Cho YH, Yoo IY. The Comparison of Functional Status and the Level of Health Care Needs in Elderly Koreans in Health Care Institutions. Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing. 2010;21(4):386-397. http://dx.doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2010.21.4.386 https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2010.21.4.386
- Sun WD. The role of hospitals and elderly care established linkages with long-term care insurance. Health Insurance Review and Assessment Service Government Policy. 2008;2(8):10-14.
- Lee JA, Rantz MJ. Admission Factor Influencing Activities of Daily Living in Nursing Home Residents Admitted from Acure Care hospitals. Journal of Korean Gerontological Nursing. 2008;10(1):68-76.
- Sikorska-Simmons E. Linking resident satisfaction to staff perceptions of the work environment in assisted living: a multilevel analysis. Gerontologist. 2006;46(5):590-598. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/geront/46.5.590 https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/46.5.590
- Berlowitz DR, Du W, Kazis L, Lewis S. Health-related quality of life of nursing home residents: differences in patient and provider perceptions. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 1995;43(7):799-802. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.1995.tb07055.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.1995.tb07055.x
- Gessell SB. A measure of satisfaction for the assisted-living industry. Joumal of Healthcare Quality. 2001;23:16-25. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1945-1474.2001.tb00331.x
- Hwang IO, Yoon KA, Kim EK. A study on the residential satisfaction level of the aged in nursing facilities and affective factors. Korea Gerontological Society. 2007;27(4):847-860.
- Carpenter BD. Family, peer, and staff social support in nursing home patients:contributions to psychological well-being. Journal of Applied Gerontology. 2002;21(3):275-293. https://doi.org/10.1177/073346480202100301
- Patterson BJ. The process of social support: adjusting to life in a nursing home. Joumal of Advanced Nursing. 1995;21:682-689. http://dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.1995.21040682.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.1995.21040682.x
- Mitchell JM, Kemp BJ. Quality of life in assisted living homes: a multidimensional analysis. Journal of Gerontology. 2000;55:117-127. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/geronb/55.2.P117
- Kim JY. Elders living in nursing facilities through the efficient implementation Satisfaction Survey-Focused on the Case of Anyang City-. Correctional Social Work in Korea. 2011;21:85-127.
- Kang Y, Na D, Hahn S. A validity study on the korean mini-mental state examination (k-mmse) in dementia patients. Journal of the Korean Neurological Association. 1997;15(2):300-308.
- Park JH, Cho SW, Son HS. Reliability of Functional Status Measurements in Elderly People. Psychiatry investigation. 1995;125:475-483.
- Oak JM. The effects of social support network on the life satisfaction of elderly females living alone[master's thesis]. [Kyonggi]: Kyonggi University;2002. 28-33p.
- Kim HJ. Effects of social support on living satisfaction of the elderly in institutions [master's thesis]. [Seoul]: Kyung Hee National University; 2007. 1-99p
- Jang SA. A study about the effect of social support on the satisfaction with life of the elderly institutionalized people[master's thesis]. [Seoul]: Seoul National University; 1997.22-30p.
- Boldy D, Grenade L. Promoting empowerment in residential aged care:Seeking the consumer view. In: Heumann LF, McCall MF, Boldy DP, editors. Empowering frail elderly people. Westport, CT: Pracger; 2001. p.41-52.
- Jung KH, Jo HS. Factors Affecting Adaptation for Elders in Long-term Care Facilities. International Journal of Contents. 2012;12(11):215-224. http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.11.215
- Sok S, Choi J. Factors associated quality of life of elderly in non-paid or paid assisted living facilities. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing. 2012;24(2):99-108. http://dx.doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2012.24.2.99 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2012.24.2.99
- Kang HC. Situation and prospect of geriatric hospitals in Korea. Journal of Korean Geriatric Psychiatry. 2005;9(2):77-82.
- Lee YS, Moon SK. A study on the affecting factors to utilization of long term care hospitals according to the elderly long term care insurance system in Korea. Korean Journal of Hospital Management. 2009;15(1):49-69.
- Choi ID, Lee EM. Study on the efficient integration of long-term care facilities and geriatric hospitals by using nhic survey data. Korea Gerontological Society. 2010;30(3):855-869.
- Lee JY, Park EG. Factors affecting long-term care hospital patients intention of transfer to a nursing home. The Korean Community Nurses Academic Society. 2008;19(2):196-204.
- Park IY, Park KO. Residential satisfaction of no-charge welfare facility for the elderly integrated with community facility. Journal of the architectural institute of Korea. 2003;19(11): 45-52.
- Chou SC, Boldy DP, Lee AH. Factors influencing residents' satisfaction in residential aged care. Gerontologist. 2003;43(4):459-472. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/geront/43.4.459 https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/43.4.459