- Volume 14 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Exploring synergistic effect among essential oils in antibacterial action
항균작용에 대한 에센셜 오일들 간의 상승작용 탐색
- Kim, Ka-Eun (Dept. of Alternative medicine, College of Medical Sciences, Jeonju University) ;
- Park, Soon Kwon (Dept. of Alternative medicine, College of Medical Sciences, Jeonju University) ;
- Cho, Il-Young (Dept. of Alternative medicine, College of Medical Sciences, Jeonju University)
- Received : 2016.07.01
- Accepted : 2016.08.20
- Published : 2016.08.28
This study was conducted to look at the antimicrobial synergistic effect of blended oil into the target skin flora. The essential oils used in antimicrobial test were 100% eucalyptus (EU), lemon (LE), lavender (LA) and four blended oils, EU+LE, LE+LA, EU+LA, and, EU+LE+LA in ratio of 1:1 and 1:1:1 respectively. As a result, LE showed the highest, LA showed the lowest antimicrobial activity among single oil group. In blended oil group, antimicrobial activity of the EU + LA showed significantly increasing effect than the sum of the antimicrobial activity of the single oil. However, the antimicrobial effects of the blend of three oils did not show any synergistic effect. This result showed that the interaction between the chemical components constituting the oil than the number of blended oil seems more significant on the synergistic effect. Therefore, blending essential oil based on scientific evidence becomes more necessary in the future.
Aromatherapy;Essential oils;Blending oils;Synergistic effect;Antibacterial effect
- A. Sandilands, C. Sutherland, A. D. Irvine and W. H. Irwin McLean, “Filaggrin in the frontline: role in skin barrier function and disease,” J Cell Sci, Vol. 122, No. 9, pp. 1285-1294, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1242/jcs.033969
- K. H. Schleifer and W. E. Kloos, (1975), "Isolation and Characterization of Staphylococci from Human Skin I. Amended Descriptions of Staphylococcus epidermidis and Staphylococcus saprophyticus and Descriptions of Three New Species Staphylococcus cohnii, Staphylococcus haemolyticus, and Staphylococcus xylosus," International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 50-61, 1975. https://doi.org/10.1099/00207713-25-1-50
- P. D. Fey and M. E. Olson, “Current concepts in biofilm formation of Staphylococcus epidermidis,” Future Microbiology, Vol. 5, No. 6, pp. 917-933, 2010. https://doi.org/10.2217/fmb.10.56
- Y. S. Jang and Y. H. Hahn, “Epidemiology of Staphylococcus epidermidis Keratitis,” J Korean Ophthalmol Soc, Vol. 43, No. 4, pp. 665-671, 2002.
- W. Levinson, "Review of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, 11th ed," pp. 94-99. 2010.
- A. A. Salyers and D. D. Whitt, "Bacterial Pathogenesis: A Molecular Approach, 2nd ed. Washington, D.C.: ASM Press," 2002.
- G. Hedin, "Staphylococcus epidermidis hospital epidemiology and the detection of methicillin resistance," Scandinavian Journal of Infectious Diseases Supp. lementum, Vol. 90, pp. 1-59, 1993.
- A. W. Karchmer, G. L. Archer and W. E. Dismukes, "Staphylococcus epidermidis: microbiologic and clinical observations as guides to therapy," Ann Intern Med, Vol. 98, pp. 447-455.
- G. D. Christensen, W. A. Simpson, A. L. Bisno and E. H. Beachey, "Adherence of Slime-Producing Strains of Staphylococcus epidermidis to Smooth Surfaces," Infect. Immun. vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 318-32.
- Y. S. Park, "A Meta-Analysis of the Effects of Aromatherapy Hand Massage." Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 469-479, 2015.
- Y. Zu, H. Yu, L. Liang, Y. Fu, T. Efferth, X. Liu and N. Wu, “Activities of Ten Essential Oils towards Propionibacterium acnes and PC-3, A-549 and MCF-7 Cancer Cells,” Molecules, Vol. 15, No. 5, pp. 3200-3210, 2010. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules15053200
- J. H. Kim, M. J. Kim, S. K. Choi, S. H. Bae, S. K. An and Y. M. Yoon, “Antioxidant and Antimicrobial Effects of Lemon and Eucalyptus Essential Oils against Skin Floras,” J. Soc. Cosmet. Scientists Korea, Vol. 37, No. 4, pp. 303-308, 2011.
- H. M. A. Cavanagh and J. M. Wilkinson, "Biological Activities of Lavender Essential Oil," Phytother. Res., Vol. 16, No. 4. pp. 301-308, 2002.
- S. Price and L. Price, "Aromatherapy for Health Professionals, 4th Edition: Churchill Livingstone," 2011.
- A. R Knight, "Preparation and bioactivity of 1,8-cineole derivatives; Murdoch University," 2009.
- S. Burt, "Essential oils: their antibacterial properties and potential applications in foods-a review," International Journal of Food Microbiology, Vol. 94, No. 3, pp. 223-253, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2004.03.022
- Imaël Henri Nestor Bassole and H. R. Juliani, “Essential Oils in Combination and Their Antimicrobial Properties,” Molecules, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 3989-4006, 2012. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules17043989
- Y. J. Lee and S. J. Park, “The Effects of Strength Note Program on Mental Health of University Students in Convergence Age,” Journal of digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 7, pp. 223-228, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.7.223
- H. K. Kang and S. E. Heo, “Convergence Assessment of the Relationship between Oral Health Practice and Dental Caries Risk among Manufacturing Workers_-With the CRT(R) bacteria,” Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 65-74, 2015.
- Y. M. Kim and S. H. Kang, “Convergence analysis for geographic variations and risk factors in the prevalence of hyperlipidemia using measures of Korean Community Health Survey,” Journal of digital Convergence , Vol. 13, No. 8, pp. 419-429, 2015.
- D. h. Park and E. h. Jang, “Convergence Factors Related to Glycemic Control in Workers with Diabetes Mellitus : using the Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2009-2013,” Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 95-103, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.6.095
- Y. M. Jang, J. S. Han and Y. S. Moon, “Convergence Study of Knowledge, Health Beliefs and HPV Preventive Behavior Intention about Human Papilloma Virus(HPV) Vaccination among Health College Students,” Journal of digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 9, pp. 313-321, 2015.
- M. J. Kim and G. Y. Kang, “The Convergence Study on the Relationship between the Job Stress and Mental Health of Nurses,” Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 39-47, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.039
- Y. M. Kim and S. H. Kang, “Changes and determinants affecting on geographic variations in health behavior, prevalence of hypertension and diabetes in Korean,” Journal of digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 11, pp. 241-254, 2015.
- M. J. Yeon, K. Y. Kim, M. S. Lee, J. Y. Hong, S. H. Bae and H. J. Hwang, “A Comparison Study on the Internet Addiction and Health Problems of Middle School Students between Urban and Rural Area,” Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 41-47, 2010.
- J. H. Lee and J. H. Lee, “Convergence Study on Health Risk Behavior among Korean College Students: Seoul vs. Non-Seoul Area,” Journal of digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 5, pp. 345-356, 2015.
- W. Kim, M. H Kim, G. B. Shim and M. J. Shin, “A study on the satisfaction of Health Examination for National Health Insurance service-Target of medical examinee in Busan-,” Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 1-8, 2013.
- J. H. Lee and J. H. Lee, “Convergence Study on Health Risk Behavior among Korean College Students: Seoul vs. Non-Seoul Area,” Journal of digital Convergence , Vol. 13, No. 5, pp. 345-356, 2015.
- S. Battaglia, "The Complete Guide to Aromatherapy, 2nd ed: The International Center of Holistic Aromatherapy," 2004.
- P. M. Davidson and M. E. Parish, "Methods for testing the efficacy of food antimicrobials," Food Technol., Vol. 43, pp. 148-155. 1989.
- A..O. Gill, P. Delaquis, P. Russo and R. A. Holley, "Evaluation of antilisterial action of cilantro oil on vacuum packed ham," Int. J. Food Microbiol, Vol. 3, pp. 83-92. 2002.
- A. Mourey and N. Canillac, "Anti-Listeria monocytogenes activity of essential oils components of conifers," Food Control, vol. 13, pp. 289-292. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0956-7135(02)00026-9
- G. Franzios, , M. Mirotsou,., E. Hatziapostolou, J. Kral, Z. G. Scouras and P. Mavragani-Tsipidou, "Insecticidal and genotoxic activities of mint essential oils," J. Agric. Food Chem., Vol. 45, pp. 2690-2694., 1997. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf960685f
- G., Santana-Rios, G.. A. Orner, A.. Amantana, C . Provost, S. Y. Wu and R. H. Dashwood, “Potent antimutagenic activity of white tea in comparison with green tea in the Salmonella assay,” Mutat. Res, Vol. 495, No. 1-2, pp. 61-74, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1383-5718(01)00200-5
- S. Hoet, C. Ste'vigny, M. F. He'rent, J. Quetin-Leclercq, "Antitrypanosomal compounds from leaf essential oil of Strychnos spinosa," Planta Med, Vol. 72, pp. 480-482, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2005-916255
- D. Low, B. D. Rawal and W. J. Griffin, "Antibacterial action of the essential oils of some Australian Myrtaceae with special references to the activity of chromatographic fractions of oil of Eucalyptus citriodora," Planta Med, Vol. 26, pp. 184-189. 1974. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0028-1097987
- S. G. Deans, R. C. Noble, L. Penzes and S. G. Imre, "Promotional effects of plant volatile oils on the polyunsaturated fatty acid status during aging," Age, Vol. 16, pp. 71-74, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02435040
- M. Viuda-Martos, Y. Ruiz-Navajas, J. Fern ndez-L pez, J. Perez-Alvarez, “Antibacterial Activity Of Lemon (Citrus Lemon L.), Mandarin (Citrus Reticulata L.), Grapefruit (Citrus Paradisi L.) And Orange (Citrus Sinensis L.) Essential Oils,” J. Food Safety, Vol. 28, No. 4, pp. 567-576, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4565.2008.00131.x
- M. Lis-Balchin, S. G. Deans and E. Eaglesham, "Relationship between bioactivity and chemical composition if commercial essential oils," Flavour Fragr J, Vol. 13, pp. 98-104, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1026(199803/04)13:2<98::AID-FFJ705>3.0.CO;2-B
- J. Bekele and A. Hassanali, "Blend effects in the toxicity of the essential oil constituents of Ocimum kilimandscharicum and Ocimum kenyense (Labiateae) on two post harvest insect pests," Phytochemistry, Vol. 57, pp. 385-391, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-9422(01)00067-X
- S. F.van Vuuren and A. M. Viljoen, "Antimicrobial activity of limonene enantiomers and 1,8-cineole alone and in combination," Flavour Fragr. J, Vol. 22, pp. 540-544, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1002/ffj.1843