- Volume 14 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
A Study of Factors influencing the Attitudes and Dispositions of Doping in Elite Golf Players
엘리트 골프선수들의 도핑에 대한 사고방식 및 성향에 미치는 요인
- Kim, Tae-Gyu (Taereung National Training Center of the Korean Olympic Committee) ;
- Cha, Jung-Hoon (Department of Community Sport Korea National Sport University) ;
- Cha, Kwang-Suk (Division of Sport Science, Konkuk University) ;
- Kim, Kee-Hyun (Korea Institute of Sport Science)
- Received : 2016.07.01
- Accepted : 2016.08.20
- Published : 2016.08.28
The purpose of this study is to identify the factors influencing the attitudes and dispositions of doping in elite golf players. 136 elite golfers (75 male, 61 female) were participated in this study and responded to Performance Enhancement Attitude Scale, Perfectionism in Sport Scale and Perceived Motivational Climate in Sport Questionnaire-2. Data that were collected analyzed by hierarchical multi regression. In male golfers, unequal recognition (UR) of coach had a positive effect on the attitudes and dispositions of doping, and rivalry (R) had a negative effect on that. In female golfers, Coach's criticism (CC) had a positive effect on the attitudes and dispositions of doping. The effective anti-doping program which reflects the results of this study should be developed and implemented for elite golf players who need the anti-doping education.
Golf;Elite player;Anti-doping;Perfectionism;Motivational climate
- G. L. Flett, P. L. Hewitt, "The perils of perfectionism in sports revisited: Toward a broader understanding of the pressure to be perfect and its impact on athletes and dancers," International Journal of Sport Psychology, Vol. 45, pp. 395-407, 2014.
- D. J. Madigan, J. Stoeber, L. Passfield, “ Perfectionism and attitudes towards doping in junior athletes,” Journal of Sports Sciences, Vol. 34, No. 8, pp. 700-706, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1080/02640414.2015.1068441
- S. H. Cheon, Y. G. Song, “Korean version of peer motivational climate in youth sport: development and validity,” Korean Journal of Sport Psychology, Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 243-260, 2011.
- Y. Ommundsen, G. C. Roberts, P. N. Lemyre, D. Treasure, "Perceived motivational climate in male youth soccer: relations to social-moral functioning, sportspersonship and team norm perceptions," Psychology of Sport and Exercise, Vol. 4, pp. 397-413, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1469-0292(02)00038-9
- S. G. Hwang, “The relationship between a motivational climate and self-management for elite athletes,” Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 5, pp. 493-500, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.5.493
- J. Allen, J. Taylor, P. Dimeo, S. Dixon, L. Robinson, “Predicting elite Scottish athletes' attitudes towards doping: examining the contribution of achievement goals and motivational climate,” Journal of Sports Sciences, Vol. 33, No. 9, pp. 899-906, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1080/02640414.2014.976588
- K. Hodge, E. A. Hargreaves, D. Gerrard, C. Lonsdale, "Psychological Mechanisms Underlying Doping Attitudes in Sport: Motivation and Moral Disengagement," Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology, Vol. 35, pp. 419-423, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1123/jsep.35.4.419
- H. J. Kim, D. H. Park, “The effects of workplace bullying on turnover intention in hospital nurses,” Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 241-252, 2016.
- T. G. Kim, E. K. Kim, “Attitudes and dispositions toward doping in adolescent elite athletes,” The Korean Journal of Sports Medicine, Vol. 31, No. 2, pp. 99-106, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5763/kjsm.2013.31.2.99
- A. Petroczi, "Exploring the doping dilemma in elite sport: Can athletes' attitudes be responsible for doping?" Ph.D. dissertation, University of Northern Colorado, 2002.
- M. H. Anshel, H. J. Eom, "Exploring the dimensions of perfectionism in sport" International Journal of Sport Psychology, Vol. 34, pp. 255-271, 2002.
- M. J. Kim, “Construct validity of perfectionism propensity scale for university dancers,” The Korean Journal of Measurement and Evaluation in Physical Education and Sport Science, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 45-57, 2010.
- A. Moran, S. Guerin, K. Kirby, T. MacIntyre, "The development and validation of a doping attitudes and behaviour scale. Research report to World Anti-Doping Agency and The Irish Sports Council," UCD School of Psychology, http://www.wadaama.org/rtecontent/document/moran_final_report.pdf., 2008.
- M. Newton, J. L. Duda, Z. Yin, "Examination of the psychometric properties of the Perceived Motivational Climate in Sport Questionnaire-2 in a sample of female athletes," Journal of Sport Sciences, Vol. 18, pp. 275-290, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1080/026404100365018
- E. K. Kim, T. G. Kim, “Attitudes and dispositions toward doping in Korean national players,” Korean Journal of Sports Science, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 215-244, 2014.
- P. Peretti-Watel, V. Guagliardo, P. Verger, P. Mignon, J. Pruvost, Y. Obadia, "Attitudes toward doping and recreational drug use among French elite student-athletes," Sociology of Sport Journal, Vol. 21, pp. 1-17, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1123/ssj.21.1.1
- H. Muwonge, R. Zavuga, P. A. Kabenge, "Doping knowledge, attitudes, and practices of Ugandan athletes': a cross-sectional study," Substance Abuse Treatment, Prevention, and Policy, DOI 10.1186/s13011-015-0033-2, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13011-015-0033-2
- J. H. Kwak, S. H. Lee, “Direction of women's sports for gender equality,” Korean Journal of Sports Science, Vol. 23, No. 6, pp. 299-311, 2014.
- Korea Anti-Doping Agency. Korea Anti-Doping Agency Home page, http://www.kada-ad.or.kr, June 29, 2016.
- S. H. Lee, H. W. Lee, “An underlying analysis on elite golf players' anti-doping tendency,” Korean Journal of Golf Studies, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 7-17, 2014.
- D. F. Gucciardi, G. Jalleh, R. J. Donovan, "An examination of the sport drug control model with elite Australian athletes," Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, Vol. 14, pp. 469-476, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsams.2011.03.009
- A. Petroczi, "Attitudes and doping: a structural equation analysis of the relationship between athletes' attitudes, sport orientation and doping behaviour," Substance Abuse Treatment, Prevention, and Policy, Vol. 2, No. 34, doi:10.1186/1747-597X-2-34, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1186/1747-597X-2-34
- World Anti-Doping Agency. World Anti-Doping Agency Home page, https://www.wada-ama.org, June 29, 2016.
- J. Morente-Sanchez, M. Zabala, "Doping in sport: a review of elite athletes' attitudes, beliefs, and knowledge," Sports Medicine, DOI 10.1007/s40279-013-0037-x, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40279-013-0037-x
- A. Petroczi, E. Aidman, "Measuring explicit attitude toward doping: review of the psychometric properties of the Performance Enhancement Attitude Scale," Psychology of Sport and Exercise, Vol. 10, pp. 390-396, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2008.11.001
- G. Zucchetti, F. Candela, C. Villosio , "Psychological and social correlates of doping attitudes among Italian athletes," International Journal of Drug Policy, Vol. 26, pp. 162-168, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugpo.2014.07.021
- A. Zoeller, "Singh V. PGA Tour: a David V. Goliath battle," Jeffrey S. Moorad Sports Law Journal, Vol. 23, Iss. 1, pp. 1-26, 2016.
- H. J. Sung. LPGA of Korea Official Home page, http://www.uslpga.kr/news_view.asp?ns1=28644, June 29, 2016.
- A. Bloodworth, M. McName, "Clean Olympians? Doping and anti-doping: The views of talented young British athletes," International Journal of Drug Policy, Vol. 21, pp. 276-282, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugpo.2009.11.009
- A. Alaranta, H. Alaranta, J. Holmila, P. Palmu, K. Pietila, I. Helenius, “Self-reported attitude of elite athletes toward doping: differences between type of sport,” International Journal of Sports Medicine, Vol. 27, No. 10, pp. 842-846, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2005-872969
- Influences of perfectionism and motivational climate on attitudes towards doping among Korean national athletes: a cross sectional study vol.12, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s13011-017-0138-x