- Volume 14 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Subjective Experiences Perceived in Calligraphic Practice
서예 활동에서 인식된 주관적 경험 분석
- Cho, Gyu-Nam (Dept. of Alternative Medicine, Graduate School of Alternative Medicine, Jeonju University) ;
- Park, Soon-Kwon (Major in Alternative Medicine, College of Medical Sciences, Jeonju University)
- Received : 2016.07.02
- Accepted : 2016.08.20
- Published : 2016.08.28
The survey is designed to provide fundamental data for assessing effects of calligraphy therapy program. An opened questionnaire asking psychological and physical experiences (3 advantages and 3 disadvantages) was given to 150 persons practicing calligraphy. Collected data were categorized into 10 psychological advantages (435 items), 6 psychological disadvantages (129 items), 9 physical advantages (302 items), and 7 physical disadvantages (150 items). Those subjective experiences were multidisciplinarily interpreted in terms of the mental and physical health and the humanistic education. A new structured assessing tool which will be developed based on the findings from the study may contribute in activating the calligraphy therapy program.
Calligraphy;Psychological advantage and disadvantage;Physical advantage and disadvantage;Calligraphy therapy program;Multidisciplinary interpretation
- B. K. Kim, "Calligraphy is the person," Collection of treatises in Oriental Arts, Vol. 7, pp. 1-15, 2003.
- S. K. Park, “Calligraphy as an intervention technique for health psychology,” Korean Journal of Health Psychology, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 781-791, 2012. https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2012.17.4.002
- C. Dazzi, L. Pedrabissi, “Graphology and personality: an empirical study on validity of handwriting analysis,” Psychological Reports, Vol. 105, No. 3, pp. 1255-1268, 2009. https://doi.org/10.2466/PR0.105.F.1255-1268
- S. Atkins, "Expressive Arts Therapy: Creative Process in Art and Life. Winston-Salem: Parkway Publishers," 2002.
- H. S. R. Kao, “Calligraphy therapy: A complementary approach to psychotherapy,” Asia Pacific Journal of Counselling and Psychotherapy, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 55-56, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1080/21507680903570334
- H. S. R. Kao, D. Gao, “Effects of practising Chinese calligraphy on visual-spatial ability and pictorial memory in normal aged people,” International Journal of Psychology, Vol. 35, No. 3-4, pp. 302, 2000.
- X. L. Yang, H. H. Li, M. H. Hong, H. S. Kao, “The effects of Chinese calligraphy handwriting and relaxation training in Chinese Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma patients: a randomized controlled trial,” International Journal of Nursing Studies, Vol. 47, No. 5, pp. 550-559, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2009.10.014
- H. S. Kao, L. Zhu, A. A. Chao, H. Y. Chen, I. C. Liu, M. Zhang, “Calligraphy and meditation for stress reduction: an experimental comparison,” Psychology Research and Behavior Management., Vol. 13, No. 7, pp. 47-52, 2014.
- H. S. R. Kao, N. F. Guo, X. Liu, "Effects of calligraphic practice on EEG and blood pressure in hypertensive patients," Annals of Behavioral Medicine, Vol. 23, pp. S085, 2001.
- T. C. Kwok, X. Bai, H. S. Kao, J. C. Li, F. K. Ho, "Cognitive effects of calligraphy therapy for older people: a randomized controlled trial in Hong Kong," Clinical Interventions in Aging, Vol. 6, No. 269-273, 2011.
- Z. Zhu, R. Wang, H. S. Kao, Y. Zong, Z. Liu, S. Tang, M. Xu, I. C. Liu, S. P. Lam, “Effect of calligraphy training on hyperarousal symptoms for childhood survivors of the 2008 China earthquakes,” Neuropsychiatric Disease and Treatment, Vol. 3, No. 10, pp. 977-985, 2014.
- H. S. R. Kao, C. C. Chen, T. M. Chang, "The effect of calligraphy practice on character recognition reaction time among children with ADHD disorder," In: Roth R, editor. Psychologists Facing the Challenge of a Global Culture with Human Rights and Mental Health. Proceedings of the 55th Annual Convention of the Council of Psychologists, Graz, Austria, July 14-18, 1997.
- H.S.R. Kao, B. K. Ding, S. W. Cheng. "Brush handwriting treatment of emotional problems in patients with Type II diabetes," International Journal of Behavioral Medicine, Vol. 7, S-1, 50.
- S. Greenberg, "Comprehensive Stress Management. NY: McGrow-Hill," 2008.
- Datamonitor, "Epidemiology: Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. London: Datamonitor," 2011.
- H. K. Chang, "Therapeutic Application of meditation to the Stress-Related Disorders," Korean Journal of Health Psychology, Vol. 9, Np. 2, pp. 471-492, 2004.
- K. M. Yang, "The Effect of Self-Esteem and Depression on Smartphone Addiction among University Students," Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7 No. 1, pp. 113-123, 2016. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.1.113
- H. J. Hwang, M. S. Lee, J. Y. Hong, “Related Factors with the Depression in the Rural People,” Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 21-29, 2011.