- Volume 14 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Workplace Incivility, Burnout and Teacher Efficacy on Job Satisfaction in Nursery Teachers
보육교사의 직장 내 무례, 소진과 교사효능감이 직무만족에 미치는 영향
- Shin, Keonho (Department of Early Childhood Education, Kangnam University)
- 신건호 (강남대학교 사범대학 유아교육과)
- Received : 2016.07.02
- Accepted : 2016.08.20
- Published : 2016.08.28
The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of workplace incivility, burnout and teacher efficacy on the job satisfaction of nursery teachers. Data were collected from 271 nursery teachers on WIS, MBI, TES and JSS, which then were analyzed using correlation and multiple regression. The major findings of this study were as follows: First, workplace incivility was negatively related to total job satisfaction and four job facets except pay/promotion. Second, burnout was negatively related to total job satisfaction and four job facets except work condition. Third, teacher efficacy was positively related to total job satisfaction and four job facets except work condition. Fourth, workplace incivility had a stronger relationships with the job satisfaction than burnout and teacher efficacy. The above findings imply that workplace incivility is an important variable of human relationship and is a good predictor of job satisfaction in nursery teachers.
Workplace incivility;Burnout;Teacher efficacy;Job satisfaction;Nursery teacher
Supported by : 강남대학교
- Mi-sook Choi, Dong-ha Ji, “The comparative study on changes in job satisfaction and turnover intention according to the convergence mediating factors and the level of emotional labor in dental hygienists,” Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 27-34, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.6.027
- Eun-Yeon Lee, Kyung-Hee Shon, “An analysis of research trends related with job stress in nursing,” Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 87-95, 2015.
- J. W. Lee, S. R. Lee, "A study of principals' management style in child-care centers perceived by teachers and their job satisfaction," Korean Journal of Early Childhood Education, Vol. No. 4, pp. 165-182, 2011.
- Eun-Sook, Shin, “Job Satisfaction and Relating Factors of Medical Record Technicians Working in General Hospitals,” Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 337-346, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.337
- L. M. Penney, P. E. Spector, “Job stress, incivility, and counterproductive workplace behavior(CWB): The moderating role of negative affectivity,” Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol. 26, No. 5, pp. 777-796, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.336
- L. M. Anderson, C. M. Pearson, "Tit for tat? The spiraling effect of incivility in the workplace," Academy of Management Review, Vol. 24, pp. 452-471. 1999. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1999.2202131
- J. H. Won, B. K. Choi, "Employees' heightened sensitivity of workplace incivility," LGERI Report. pp. 1-15, 2012.
- P. R. Johnson, J. Indvik, “Slings and arrows of rudeness: Incivility in workplace,” Journal of Management Development, Vol. 20, No. 8, pp. 705-714, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1108/EUM0000000005829
- L. M. Cortina, V. J. Magley, J. H. Williams,R. D. Langhout, "Incivility in the workplace: Incidence and impact," Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, Vol. 6, pp. 64-80, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1037/1076-89184.108.40.206
- Y. A. Jang, Young ja Lee, "A comparative study on the job satisfaction of teachers in Kindergarten and Day Care center," Journal of Korean Council for Children & Rights, Vol. No. 2, pp. 1-16, 2003.
- B-R, Lee, “The Effect of Human Relations on the Job Satisfaction of Early Childhood Teachers,” Journal of Korean social welfare administration, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 1-21, 2011.
- M. J. Song, H. R. Lee, "The Development and Effects of A human Relationship Training Program Using a University Liberal-Art Course," Korean Journal Of Counseling And Psychotherapy, VOL. 20, No. 2, pp. 269-291, 2008.
- H-C. Chung, "A study on the individual and organizational variables that influence child care teachers' job satisfaction-focused on the types of establishment-," Ph.D. dissertation, Ewha Womans University, 2003.
- Y. J. Oh, Y. M. Han. "The Comparative Study between the Swedish and the Korean Early Childhood Care Center Teachers' Professionality and Job Satisfaction," Journal of Future Early Childhood Education, Vol. 12. No. 1, pp. 99-122, 2005.
- I. S. Kim, "Effect that Leader-Member Exchange, Ego Resilience, Organizational Culture According to Teachers' Followership Types have on Job Satisfaction," Ph. D. dissertation, Daegu University, 2009.
- S. Y. Kim, K-O. Park, Jong Kyung Kim. "Nurses' Experience of Incivility in General Hospitals," Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 43, No. 4, pp. 453-467, 2013. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.4.453
- Y. K. Kim, Y. J. Kim, “Effect of Educational Conviction and Sense of Efficacy of the Nursery Teachers at Private Nurseries on Level of Work Satisfaction,” Journal of Korean Council for Children & Rights, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 325-347, 2013.
- J-S, Kang, "The Causal Relationships among Educare Teachers' Empowerment, Burnout, and Job Satisfaction," Korea Journal of Child Care and Education, Vol. 54, pp. 79-98, 2008.
- A. W. Hoy, "Changes in Teacher Efficacy: During the Early Years of Teaching," Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, New Orleans, LA, April 28, 2000.
- I. S. Han & H. J. Kim, "A study on the relationship between child care center teacher's job satisfaction and burnout," The Korean Association of Child Care and Education, Vol. No. 14, pp. 171-218, 1998.
- S. H. Lee, Y. S. Park, “A study on child care teacher's efficacy and job satisfaction,” Korea Open Association for Early Childhood Education, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 31-50, 2007.
- J. J. Lee, H. M. Kim, “Influence of Teachers Self-efficacy on Job Satisfaction : Analysis by Comparing Public and Private Child Care Centers,” Journal of Korean Child Care and Education, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 101-120, 2012.
- B-J, Kang, Y-S, Paik, “The relationships between teachers' burn out and teacher-young children interactions in the mediating effects instructional creativity and teaching efficacy of day care center teachers,” Korean Joural of Children's Media, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 145-168, 2013.
- Hye-Ri Jung, A-Ryang Son, Yeo-Ju Yun, Seol-Hee Lee, Seoul-Bi Lee, Jung-Ah In, Kyung-hee Kang, “Study on self-development needs, job satisfaction, self-efficacy by general characteristics of dental hygienist,” Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 231-239, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.6.231
- C. Maslach, "Burnout: The cost of caring. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall," 1982.
- S. H. Park, S. K. Moon, M. Y. Lee. "A Study of the Determinants on Teachers in Day Care Center Burnout," The Journal of Korea Open Association for Early Childhood Education, Vol. 11, No. 6, pp. 65-84, 2006.
- M. N. You, N. R. Shin, “Childcare Teachers' Work-related Burnout, Job Satisfaction, and Social Supports in the Workplace,” Journal of Life-span Studie, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 73-85, 2013.
- S. Y. Cho, “Child Care Teacher's Job Satisfaction and Burnout,” Korean Living Science Association, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 69-79, 2005.
- S. Y. Kim, “The Influence of Career, Burnout, and Play-teaching Efficacy on the Job Satisfaction of Childcare Teachers,” Journal of Korean Child Care and Education, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 481-499, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14698/jkcce.2015.11.481
- H. J, Kim, "The relationship between efficacy belief and role performance of childcare teachers," Korean Living Science Association, Vol. No1, pp. 45-53, 2006.
- L. Hu, P. M. Bentler, "Cutoff criteria for fit indices in covariance structure analysis: Conventional versus new alternatives," Structural Equation Modeling, Vol. 6, pp. 1-55, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1080/10705519909540118
- C. Fornell, D. F. Larcker, “Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error,” Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 39-50, 1981. https://doi.org/10.2307/3151312
- R. P. Bagozzi, Y. Youjae, “On the evaluation of structural equation models,” Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 74-94, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02723327
- P. Jorde-Bloom, "Measuring work attitudes in the early childhood setting. Technical manual for the early childhood job satisfaction survey and early childhood work environment survey," Illinois Early Childhood Professional Development Project, 1989.
- E. H. Seo, M. S. Lee, “A Study on the Job Satisfaction, Organizational Commitment and Turnover Intention of Kindergarten Teachers,” The Journal of Korea Open Association for Early Childhood Education, Vol, 7, No. 3, pp. 155-170, 2002.
- C. Maslach, S. E. Jackson, "The measurement of experienced burnout," Journal of Occupation Behavior, Vol. 2, pp. 99-113. 1881.
- S. K. Yoo, S-H, Park, “Influence of Occupational Stress and Perceived Social Support on Counselors' Burnout in Korea,” The korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 389-400, 2002.
- H. Kim, B-R, LEE, "A Study on Factors Influencing Teachers' Sense of Efficacy," The Journal of Korean Teacher Education, 16(1), pp. 161-181, 1999.
- I. Riggs, L. Enochs, "Toward the development of an elementary teacher's science teaching efficacy belief instrument," Science Education, Vol. 74, pp. 625-638, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.3730740605
- J. H. Shim, “Moderating Effect of Personality on the Relationship between the Experience of Workplace Incivility and Job Satisfaction,” Journal of Korean HRD Research, Vol, 9, No. 2, pp. 1-25, 2014.
- S .Y. Jung, S. W. Bae, J. K. Jun. "The Influence of Customer Incivility on the Hotel Employees' Organizational Outcomes : Focusing on the Mediating Effect of Emotional Exhaustion," Korean Journal of Hospitality and Tourism(KJHT), Vol. 24, No. 3, pp. 23-30, 2015.
- S. J. Lim, E. J. Yeo, H. W. Lee, “The effects of job satisfaction, self-efficacy, and organizational commitment on child-care teacher's happiness,” Korean Journal of Early Childhood Education, Vol. 33, No. 3, pp. 301-318, 2013. https://doi.org/10.18023/kjece.2013.33.3.013
- H. J. Kim, S. E. Lee, "The Effects of Child care Center Teachers' Job Satisfaction and Burnout on Young Children's Emotional Intelligence and Social Ability," Journal of Korean Council for Children & Rights., Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 369-391, 2013.
- S. Bar-David, "Incivility, Harassment and Bullying: The Business Case," Bar-David Consulting,2012, www.sharonebarvid.com 2016. May 30.
- The effects of perceived supervisor incivility on child-care workers’ job performance: The mediating role of emotional exhaustion and intrinsic motivation pp.1936-4733, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12144-019-0133-7