- Volume 14 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
A Study of Cross-Country Comparison of ICT Usage in Family Context
가족적 맥락에서의 ICT 이용에 관한 국가 간 비교 연구
- Brady, John T. (Dept. of Consumer Science, Seoul National University) ;
- Lee, Bohan (Dept. of Consumer Science, Seoul National University) ;
- Rha, Jong-Youn (Dept. of Consumer Science, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2016.07.02
- Accepted : 2016.08.20
- Published : 2016.08.28
This study examined the impact of information and communications technology (ICT) on the sociocultural dimensions of the family by comparing ICT use in Korean, Chinese, and American families. This study investigated attitudes to ICT usage in the family context by country and explored how various consumers use ICT in the family context. The study explored how families can be clustered based on usage. ICT device ownership had differences in the use of ICT services including blogs and video chatting accounts. ICT usage in the family was also similar in all three countries in the study, but the depth of use differed. The cluster analysis indicated that users could be classified into four groups, however the proportion in each group differed by country. This study has implications for understanding ICT ownership and use by families in various countries and indicates that sociocultural elements are important in ICT use.
Supported by : Seoul National University
- Jiyeun Chang, “Convergence of Education and Information & Communication Technology : A Study on the Communication Characteristics of SNS Affecting Relationship Development between Professor and Student,” Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 213-219, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.6.213
- Yeob-Myeong Son, Byeong-Soo Jung, “Convergence Development of Video and E-learning System for Education Disabled Students,” Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 113-119, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.4.113
- Giddens, A., "Modernity and self-identity: Self and society in the late modern age," Stanford University Press, 1991.
- John T. Brady, Bohan Lee, Jong-Youn Rha, "An Exploration of Families Use of Information and Communications Technology: The Case of Korea and the United States," International Journal of Human Ecology, 16(2), 79-88, 2015. https://doi.org/10.6115/ijhe.2015.16.2.79
- Lee, S. G., Trimi, S., & Kim, C., "The impact of cultural differences on technology adoption," Journal of World Business, 48(1), 20-29, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jwb.2012.06.003
- Lanigan, J. D., "A sociotechnological model for family research and intervention: How information and communication technologies affect family life," Marriage & Family Review, 45(6-8), 587-609, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1080/01494920903224194
- Williams, A. L., & Merten, M. J., "iFamily: Internet and social media technology in the family context," Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal, 40(2), 150-170, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1552-3934.2011.02101.x
- Lee, S. J., & Chae, Y. G., "Children's Internet use in a family context: Influence on family relationships and parental mediation," CyberPsychology & Behavior, 10(5), 640-644, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1089/cpb.2007.9975
- Murray, C. E., & Campbell, E. C., "The pleasures and perils of technology in intimate relationships," Journal of Couple & Relationship Therapy, 14(2), 116-140, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1080/15332691.2014.953651
- Davis, V., "Interconnected but underprotected? parents' methods and motivations for information seeking on digital safety issues," Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, 15(12), 669-674, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1089/cyber.2012.0179
- Wajcman, J., Bittman, M., & Brown, J. E., "Families without borders: Mobile phones, connectedness and work-home divisions," Sociology, 42(4), 635-652, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1177/0038038508091620
- Kennedy, T. L., Smith, A., Wells, A. T., & Wellman, B., "Networked families," Pew Internet & American Life Project, 1-36, 2008.
- Devitt, K., & Roker, D., "The role of mobile phones in family communication," Children & Society, 23(3), 189-202, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1099-0860.2008.00166.x
- Rogers, E. M., "Diffusion of innovations," Simon and Schuster, 2010.
- Griliches, Z., "The search for R&D spillovers," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, 94: 29-47, 1992. https://doi.org/10.2307/3440244
- Van Ark, B., Inklaar, R., & McGuckin, R. H., "Changing Gear: Productivity, ICT and service: Europe and the United States," University of Groningen and The Conference Board, mimeograph, 2002.
- Davies, M. W., "Women clerical workers and the typewriter: The writing machine," Technology and women's voices: Keeping in touch, 29-40, 1988.
- International Telecommunication Union, "ICT Facts and Figures - The world in 2015," International Telecommunication Union, 2015.
- Cindy Liu, "WORLDWIDE INTERNET AND MOBILE USERS," eMarketer, 2015. 08.
- Seong-Hoon Lee, Dong-Woo Lee, “FinTech- Conversions of Finance Industry based on ICT,” Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 97-102, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.3.097
- Kiesler, S., & Sproull, L., "Group decision making and communication technology," Organizational behavior and human decision processes, 52(1), 96-123, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1016/0749-5978(92)90047-B
- Maity, M., & Dass, M., "Consumer decision-making across modern and traditional channels: E-commerce, m-commerce, in-store". Decision Support Systems, 61, 34-46, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2014.01.008
- Narwal, M., & Sachdeva, G., "Impact of information technology (it) on consumer purchase behavior," Researchers World, 4(3), 41, 2013.
- Baym, N. K., Zhang, Y. B., Kunkel, A., Ledbetter, A., & Lin, M. C., "Relational quality and media use in interpersonal relationships," New Media & Society, 9(5), 735-752, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1177/1461444807080339
- Kang, S., & Jung, J., "Mobile communication for human needs: A comparison of smartphone use between the US and Korea," Computers in Human Behavior, 35, 376-387, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2014.03.024
- Cotten, S. R., Anderson, W. A., & McCullough, B. M., "Impact of internet use on loneliness and contact with others among older adults: cross-sectional analysis," Journal of Medical Internet Research, 15(2), 2013.
- McKenna, K. Y., & Bargh, J. A., "Plan 9 from cyberspace: The implications of the Internet for personality and social psychology," Personality and social psychology review, 4(1), 57-75, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15327957PSPR0401_6
- Hee-Ok Nho, Yong-Ho Kim, Seung-Jun Hong, “A Study on Technostress of Information Communication Technology User,” Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 41-46, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.4.041
- Gab-Sang Ryu, “Development of Educational Model for ICT-based Convergence Expert,” Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 75-80, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.6.075
- Layton, E. T., "Technology and Civlilization: Renaissance to Industrial Revolution," Hsci, University of Minnesota, 1712, 3712, 1994.
- Fife, E., & Pereira, F., "Socio-economic and cultural factors affecting adoption of broadband access: A cross-country analysis," JOURNAL-VCOMMUNICATIONS NETWORK, 1(2), 62-69, 2002.
- Lee, S. M., & Peterson, S. J., "Culture, entrepreneurial orientation, and global competitiveness," Journal of world business, 35(4), 401-416, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1090-9516(00)00045-6
- Hofstede, G. H., & Hofstede, G., "Culture's consequences: Comparing values, behaviors, institutions and organizations across nations," Sage, 2001.
- Lee Bohan, John T. Brady, & Rha Jong-Youn, "Consumer's ICT usage in family context," Consumption Culture, 19, 1-25, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1080/10253866.2016.1133081
- Shih, C. F., & Venkatesh, A., "Beyond adoption: Development and application of a use diffusion model," Journal of marketing, 68 (1), 59-72, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.18.104.22.16829
- Park B. H., "Korean and Chinese Familism," Journal of Faculty Academy, 3, 85-92, 1993.
- Seol, J. B., "A Study of American Family," Journal of Humanities, 11, 81-102, 2002.