- Volume 14 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
A Study of the Method for Estimating the Missing Data from Weather Measurement Instruments
인공신경망을 이용한 기상관측장비 결측 보완 기술에 관한 연구
- Min, Jae-Sik (Weather Information Service Engine Institute, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies) ;
- Lee, Moo-Hun (Weather Information Service Engine Institute, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies) ;
- Jee, Joon-Bum (Weather Information Service Engine Institute, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies) ;
- Jang, Min (Weather Information Service Engine Institute, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies)
- 민재식 (한국외국어대학교 차세대도시농림융합기상사업단) ;
- 이무훈 (한국외국어대학교 차세대도시농림융합기상사업단) ;
- 지준범 (한국외국어대학교 차세대도시농림융합기상사업단) ;
- 장민 (한국외국어대학교 차세대도시농림융합기상사업단)
- Received : 2016.06.28
- Accepted : 2016.08.20
- Published : 2016.08.28
The purpose of this study is to make up for missing of weather informations from ASOS and AWS using artificial neural networks. We collected temperature, relative humidity and wind velocity for August during 5-yr (2011-2015) and sample designed artificial neural networks, assuming the Seoul weather station was missing. The result of sensitivity study on number of epoch shows that early stopping appeared at 2,000 epochs. Correlation between observation and prediction was higher than 0.6, especially temperature and humidity was higher than 0.9, 0.8 respectively. RMSE decreased gradually and training time increased exponentially with respect to increase of number of epochs. The predictability at 40 epoch was more than 80% effect on of improved results by the time the early stopping. It is expected to make it possible to use more detailed weather information via the rapid missing complemented by quick learning time within 2 seconds.
Artificial Neural Networks;Weather Informations;ASOS/AWS;Missing;Epoch
Supported by : 기상청
- Moo-Hun Lee, Min-Gyu Kim, “Meteorological information analysis algorithm based on weight for outdoor activity decision-making,” Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 209-217, 2016.
- Ji-Ae Park, Jang-Mook Kim, Ho-Sung Lee, He-Jin Lee, “Big data study about the effects of weather factors on food poisoning incidence,” Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 319-327, 2016.
- Jang-Mook Kim, Jung-Hwan Cho, Byul Kim, “Correlation between meteorological factors and hospital power consumption,” Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 6, pp. 457-466, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.6.457
- Young-Suk Chung, Rack-Koo Park, Jin-Mook Kim, “Study on predictive modeling of incidence of traffic accidents caused by weather conditions,” Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 9-15, 2014.
- WMO, "Guidelines on quality control procedures for data from automatic weather stations," CIMO/OPAGSURFACE/ETST&MT-1/Doc. 6.1(2), pp. 10, 2004.
- M. A. Shafer, C. A. Fiebrich, D. S. Arndt, S. E. Fredrickson, and T. W. Hughes, "Quality assurance procedures in the Oklahoma Mesonetwork". J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol., Vol. 17, pp. 474-494, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0426(2000)017<0474:QAPITO>2.0.CO;2
- KMA, "Real-time quality control system for meteorological observation data (I) Application," 11-1360000-000206-01 (Tech. Note 2006-2), pp. 157, 2006.
- Jung-Hoon. Chae, Moon-Soo Park, Young-Jean Choi, "The WISE Quality control system for integrated meteorological sensor data", Atmosphere, Vol. 24, No. 3, pp. 445-456, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14191/Atmos.2014.24.3.445
- Yu-Mi Cha, Joong-Bae Ahn, “Evaluation of artificial neural network correction skill on dynamically downscaled summer rainfall over South Korea,” Asia-Pac. J. Atmos. Sci., Vol. 41, No. 6, pp. 1125-1135, 2005.
- Joong-Bae Ahn, Yu-Mi Cha, “A comparison study of corrections using artificial neural network and multiple linear regression for dynamically downscaled winter temperature over South Korea,” Asia-Pac. J. Atmos. Sci., Vol. 41, No. 3, pp. 401-413, 2005.
- R. J. Kuligowski, A. P. Barros, “Localized precipitation forecasts from a numerical weather prediction model using artificial neural networks,” Weather and Forecasting, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 1194-1204, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0434(1998)013<1194:LPFFAN>2.0.CO;2
- M. C. V. Ramirez, H. F. C. Velho, N. J. Ferreira, "Artificial neural network technique for rainfall forecasting applied to the Sao Paulo region," Journal of Hydrology, Vol. 301, Nos. 1-4, pp. 146-162, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2004.06.028
- Ju-Young Shin, Gian Choi, Chang-Sam Jeong, Jun-Haeng Heo, "Improving accuracy of RDAPS prediction precipitation using artificial neural networks," KWRA, In procceedings of KWRA 2008 conference, pp. 1013-1017. 2008.
- Boosik Kang, Bongki Lee, "Predicting probability of precipitation using artificial neural network and mesoscale numerical weather prediction," KSCE, Vol. 28, No. 5B, pp. 485-493. 2008.
- Ji-Hun Ha, Lee, Y.-H. Kim, “Forecasting the precipitation of the next day using deep learning,” JKIIS, Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 93-98, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5391/JKIIS.2016.26.2.093
- S. Samarasinghe, "Neural Networks for Applied Sciences and Engineering: From Fundamentals to Complex Pattern Recognition," CRC Press, 2006.
- Y. Yuan, L. Rosasco, A. Caponnetto, "On Early Stopping in Gradient Descent Learning," Constr Approx Constructive Approximation, Vol. 26, No. 2. pp. 289-315, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00365-006-0663-2
- Seong-Eun Lee, Sun-Hee Shin, Kyung-Ja Ha, “The assessment of the spatial variation of the wind field using the meso-velocity scale and its contributing factors,” Atmosphere, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 343-353, 2010.
- A Missing Value Replacement Method for Agricultural Meteorological Data Using Bayesian Spatio–Temporal Model vol.27, pp.7, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2018.27.7.499