- Volume 14 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
An Exploratory Study on the Supply Chain Partnership : Focusing on Rebar Manufacturing Firms as Second-tier Suppliers
공급망 파트너십에 관한 탐색적 연구 : 2차 협력업체로서의 철근가공업체를 중심으로
- Rhee, Moon-Ki Kyle (SKK Business School, SungKyunKwan University) ;
- Choi, Si-Young (Hyundai Steel) ;
- Kim, Tae-Ung (SKK Business School, SungKyunKwan University)
- Received : 2016.07.08
- Accepted : 2016.08.20
- Published : 2016.08.28
The rapid trends toward outsourcing and collaboration have created complex multi-tier supply chains for construction and engineering industries. Working with suppliers and sub-suppliers requires continuous integration activities in order to maximize the performances of the entire supply chain. The purpose of this study is to identify the factors influencing the performances and long-term business relationship of second-tier suppliers in directed sourcing environment. This study proposes the asset specificity, trust, information-sharing and collaboration, as antecedents variables, and collected the survey responses from the second-tier suppliers in rebar manufacturing works. The statistical results indicate that the asset specificity, trust, information-sharing and collaboration have significant influences on the long-term business relationship of rebar manufacturing second-tier suppliers, but trust has no impact on the performances of second-tier suppliers at 5% significance level. Practical implications are also discussed.
SCM;directed sourcing;asset specificity;trust;information-sharing;collaboration
Grant : BK21플러스
Supported by : 성균관대학교
- H. Y. Cheong, N. Cho, & T. U. Kim, "A study of effect of trust and relational norms, on interfirm cooperation, conflict and performances in project supply Chain," Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 227-235. 2014.
- http://biz.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2015/01/25/ 2015012501080.html
- S. M. Kang, & G. W. Han. "Revenue recognition of subcontracting transaction : gross method vs net method," Korean Accounting Journal, Vol. 24, No. 4, pp. 343-374, 2015.
- C. Mena, A. Humphries, & T. Y. Choi, "Toward a theory of multi-tier supply chain management". Journal of Supply Chain Management, Vol. 49, No. 2, pp. 58-77, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1111/jscm.12003
- T. Y. Choi, & T. Linton, "Don't let your supply chain control your business," Harvard Business Review, Vol. 89, December, pp. 112-117, 2011.
- H. S. Lee, J. G. Kim, M. S. Park, H. S. Kim, & S. J. Hwang, "Analysis of bar in coil's application to rebar work." Korean Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 106-117. 2012. https://doi.org/10.6106/KJCEM.2012.13.1.106
- R. M. Emerson, “Power-dependence relations,” American Sociological Review, Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 31-41, 1962. https://doi.org/10.2307/2089716
- S. W. Lee, & J. Y. Kim, “The effects of transaction cost factors on cooperative relationship lasting factors, degree of relationship satisfaction, and performance,” Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 133-143, 2014.
- O. E. Williamson, "Transaction cost economics: the natural progression." American Economic Review, Vol. 100, No. 3, pp. 673-90. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1257/aer.100.3.673
- J. H. Dyer, “Governance matter? Keiretsu alliances and asset specificity as sources of Japanese competitive advantage,” Organization Science, Vol. 7, No. 6, pp. 649-666, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.7.6.649
- X. Li, & Q. Wang, "Coordination mechanisms of supply chain systems," European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 179, pp. 1-16, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2006.06.023
- N. Cho, T. U. Kim, & S. Ryu, “An empirical study on bargaining positions and exchange relationship in supply chain network,” Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 103-113, 2014.
- S. K. Oh, & K. I. Han, “The effects of the marketing communication and the trust on long-term relationship orientation in the B2B industrial product market,” Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 10, No. 8, pp. 81-90, 2012.
- L. S. Kim, “Convergence of Information Technology and Corporate Strategy,” Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 17-26, 2015.
- F. R. Dwyer, P. H. Schurr, & S. Oh, “Developing buyer-seller relationships,” Journal of Marketing, Vol. 51, No. 2, pp. 11-27, 1987. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251126
- S. W. Park, & S. T. Park, “A study on the impact of supply chain partnership on performance of suppliers,” Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 11, No. 10, pp. 169-179, 2013.
- S. H. Lee, “A study on determining factors for manufacturers to distributors warehouse in supply chain,” Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 15-20, 2013.
- S. T. Park, M. K. Rhee, & S. Ryu, “A study on the effect of network embeddedness on collaboration and performance in the project supply chain : focusing on second-tier suppliers,” Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 6, pp. 93-103, 2014.
- T. U. Kim, “An Exploratory Study on Information Sharing, Incentives and Collaboration in Project-based Supply Chain,” Journal of the Korean Production and Operations Management Society, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 71-87, 2012.
- M. Barratt, “Understanding the meaning of collaboration in the supply chain,” Supply Chain Management : International Journal, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 30-42, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1108/13598540410517566
- K. B. Hendricks, V. R. Singhal, & J. K. Stratman, “The impact of enterprise systems on corporate performance: a study of ERP, SCM, and CRM system implementations,” Journal of Operations Management, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 65-82, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jom.2006.02.002
- R. Sanders, "Pattern of information technology use: The impact on buyer-suppler coordination and performance," Journal of Operations Management, Vol. 26, pp. 349-367, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jom.2007.07.003
- S. Li, & B. Lin, "Accessing information sharing and information quality in supply chain management," Decision Support Systems, Vol. 42, No. 3, 1641-1656, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2006.02.011