- Volume 14 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
An Exploratory Study on User Experience of Augmented Reality Advertising
증강현실 광고의 사용자경험에 대한 탐색적 연구
- Sung, Jungyeon (Dept. of Business Administration, Sungkyul University) ;
- Jo, Jae-wook (Inst. of Management Research, Sungkyunkwan University)
- Received : 2016.06.24
- Accepted : 2016.08.20
- Published : 2016.08.28
Augmented Reality(AR) has been further developed through connectivity with Artificial Intelligence (AI), Big Data, the Internet of Things(IoT). The interest of AR in the advertising is on the increase. However, it needs to explore the use of AR technology in advertising based on user experience rather than the technical aspects. This study is very significant in that it is the exploratory study which provides guidelines in the field of utilizing AR, particularly based on direct user experience. In addition, through a quantitative survey, it checks the validity of the present study to verify the impact of utilitarian, experiential value of AR ad on brand attitude as consumer attitude. The characteristics of AR ad based on user experience through this study will provide guidance to utilize AR ad, utilizing AR technology in various fields, such as education and exhibitions in developing convergence contents that can provide practical value.
Augmented Reality;User experience;Utilitarian Value;Experiential Value;Consumer Attitude;Convergence Contents
- Marketsandmarkets.com, "Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality Market by Device Type (HMD, HUD, Handheld Device, Gesture Tracking, Projector and Display Wall), Component (Sensor, Display, Camera, and Software), Vertical, and Geography-Global Forecast to 2022," http://www.marketsandmarkets.com/Market-Reports/augmented-reality-virtual-re ality-market-1185.html (May 2016)
- T. Merel, "Augmented And Virtual Reality To Hit $150 Billion, Disrupting Mobile By 2020," https:// techcrunch.com/2015/04/06/augmented-and-virtual-reality-to-hit-150-billion-by-2020/(April 2015)
- Woontack Woo, "Augmented Reality and Augmented Human," KISA_POWER REVIEW, pp. 4-10, file:///C:/Users/user/Downloads/150807_Power_Review.pdf (Aug 2015)
- K.D. Park and J.H. Jung, “A Study on The Image Augmented Reality Card Using Augmented Reality,” Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 8, pp. 467-474, 2014.
- R.T. Azuma, “A Survey of Augmented Reality,” Presence Teleoperators and Virtual Environments, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 355-385, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1162/pres.19220.127.116.115
- N. Kleef, J. Noltes, and S. Spoel, "Success Factors for Augmented Reality Business Models," Proceedings of Pixel Study Tour on Simulation and Game Technology, 2010.
- W. Zhu, C.B. Owen, H. Li, and J.H. Lee, "Personalized In-store E-Commerce with the PromoPad: an Augmented Reality Shopping Assistant," The Electronic Journal for E-Commerce Tools and Applications(eJETA), Vol. 1, No. 3, 2004.
- O. Heo, and D. Chung, "Influence of Augmented Reality Advertising on Advertising Attitude, Brand Attitude, and Purchase Intention through Mediator Presence," Advertising Research, 90, pp. 71-98, 2011.
- R.E. Rice, "New Media Technology: Growth and Integration". In R. E. Rice(Ed.), The New Media: Communication, Research and Technology(pp. 33-54). Beverly Hills, CA: Sage, 1984.
- Y. Liu, and L. Shrum, “What is interactivity and is it always such a good thing? Implications of definition, person, and situation for the influence of interactivity on advertising effectiveness,” Journal of Advertising, Vol. 31, No. 4, pp. 53-64, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1080/00913367.2002.10673685
- D.M. Grigorovici and C.D. Constantin, “Experiencing Interactive Advertising Beyond Rich Media: Impacts Of Ad Type and Presence On Brand Effectiveness In 3D Gaming Virtual Environments,” Journal of Interactive Advertising, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 22-36, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1080/15252019.2004.10722091
- H. McCellan, "Virtual realities," In D. Jonassen(Ed.), Handbook of Research for Educational Communications and Technology, Kluwer-Nijhoff Publishing, Boston, Massachusetts, pp. 457-487, 1996.
- Y.J. Cho, “Influence of Affordance characteristics of Advertisement based on Augmented Reality on User's Flow and AD Attitude,” A Journal of Brand Design Association of Korea, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 123-132, 2014.
- C. Stapleton, E. Smith, and C.E. Hughes, "The Art of Nurturing Citizen Scientists through Mixed Reality," Proceedings of the forth IEEE and ACM International conference on Mixed and Augmented Reality(ISMAR), pp. 5-8, 2005.
- J.W. Jo, and J.Y. Sung, “Augmented Reality Advertisement Effect based on the Mediating role of Diagnosticity and Psychological Distance,” The Korean Journal of Advertising, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 203-221, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14377/KJA.2014.1.15.203
- G.N. Yannakakis and J. Hallam, "Real-time Adaptation of Augmented Reality Games for Optimizing Player Satisfaction," in Proceedings of the IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence and Games. Perth, Australia: IEEE, pp. 103-110, 2008.
- R.J. Kent and C.T. Allen, “Competitive Interference Effects in Consumer Memory for Advertising: the Role of Brand Familiarity,” Journal of Marketing, Vol. 58, No. 3, pp. 97-105, 1994. https://doi.org/10.2307/1252313
- N. Spears and S.N. Singh, “Measuring Attitude toward the Brand and Purchase Intentions?,” Journal of Current Issues and Research in Advertising, Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 1-18, 2004.
- K.E. Voss, E.R. Spangenberg, and B. Grohmann, “Measuring the Hedonic and Utilitarian Dimensions of Consumer Attitude,” Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 40, No. 3, pp. 310-320, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkr.40.3.310.19238
- J.W. Overby and E. Lee, “The Effects of Utilitarian and Hedonic Online Shopping Value on Consumer Preference and Intentions,” Journal of Business Research, Vol. 59, No. 10, pp. 1160-1166, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2006.03.008
- T.B. Fomby and D.K. Guilkey, “On Choosing the Optimal Level of Significance for the Durbin-Watson Test and the Bayesian Alternative,” Journal of Econometrics, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 203-213, 1978. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-4076(78)90029-5