- Volume 14 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
A Strategy for Converting from Printed to Digital Magazines : - Focusing on the Brand Positioning of International and Domestic Popular Magazines -
종이 잡지의 디지털 매거진 변환 전략: 해외 매거진과 국내 대중지의 브랜드 포지셔닝을 중심으로
- Kwon, Hyeog-In (School of business administration, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Yang, Mun-Sil (Dept. of Culture-Art Business Administration, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Na, Yun-Bin (Dept. of Culture-Art Business Administration, Chung-Ang University)
- Received : 2016.04.25
- Accepted : 2016.08.20
- Published : 2016.08.28
This paper focuses on proposing an alternative solution via identifying the problems that domestic popular magazines encounter in the context of the recession crisis faced by printed media in accordance with the advent of the digital media era. Firstly, current-state investigation and in-depth interviews with editorial staff of the major 4 domestic women's magazines were conducted to analyze their brand positioning and change of direction in facing the rise of smart devices. Secondly, domestic women's magazines were compared with international popular magazines that have been successfully undergoing digitalization. Accordingly, domestic women's magazines lack the know-how to digitalize their publication and show limitations in collaboration, openness, trans-media, and cross-media. As most women's magazines are unprofessionally composed of gossip articles having popular appeal rather than practicality, it is an urgent issue for them to differentiate their contents from competitors.
본 연구는 디지털미디어 시대 도래에 따른 인쇄매체 침체 위기 상황 속에서 국내 대중지가 직면한 문제를 해외 성공사례와 비교해 살펴봄으로써 대안을 제시하는 데 초점을 두었다. 스마트 디바이스 환경에 놓인 국내 대중지, 그 중에서도 여성지들의 현황 조사와 국내 4대 여성잡지에 근무하는 실무자와의 심층인터뷰를 통해 브랜드 포지셔닝을 분석하고 변화 방향을 확인하였다. 이후, 디지털 변환을 성공적으로 진행 중인 해외 매거진들의 사례와 비교하였다. 그 결과, 국내 여성지들은 종이책 출판시스템에 익숙하여 디지털화에 대한 노하우가 부족하고, 새로운 디지털 콘텐츠 브랜드 기획에 있어서도 협업과 개방, 트랜스미디어, 크로스미디어 등의 측면에서 한계를 보였다. 또한 실용성보다는 가십성과 대중성에 기반하여 포괄적이며 비전문적인 기사 구성으로 잡지들 간 내용 면에서 중첩되는 부분이 많아 동종 여성지들 간의 차별화가 무엇보다 시급한 문제로 드러났다.
- Korea Press Foundation, Investigation on Magazine Industry, 2013.
- Y. B. Na, S. H. Lee, Y. J. Myeong, S. R. Jo, “Effects on the System, Contents, and Service Quality of e-book User Purchase,” Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 149-156, 2016.
- S. M. Yun, "A Study of the Korean magazine industry's current situation and the development methods: Based on the case study of the professional group," Studies of Korean Publishing Science, Vol. 40. No. 3, pp. 137-159, 2014.
- Y. J. Lee, "The Survey Study of the Structural Feature of the Magazine Industry in South Korea," Studies of Korean Publishing Science, No. 47, pp. 123-153, 2004.
- Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism, The Magazine Industry for the advancement of a five-year plan report(2012-2016)
- C. H. Lee, "A Study on Strategics for Establishment of Service System for Ubiquitous Magazine" Chung Ang university master's thesis, 2012.
- Lee, H. S., An, K. H., Ha, Y. W., Consumer Behavior : Strategic Marketing Approach, Bobmunsa, 2012. 17, pp. 171-197, 2015.
- W-M. Ou, R. Abratt and P. Dion, "The Influence of Retailer Reputation on Store Patronage," Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, May, 221-230. 2006.
- I. S. Kim, “A positioning study of major beer brands in the Korean market based on college students' perceptions,” Korean Journal of Journalism & Communication Studies, Vol. 46, No. 2, pp. 184-225, 2002.
- An, K. H., Ha, Y. W., Park, H. S., Principle of Marketing, Hakyensa, 2014.
- Keller, K. L. Strategic Brand Management: Building & Management Brand Equity, Prentice-Hall, Inc, 2002.
- S. H. Kim, "A Study on the Impacts of Applying Innovative Media Creativity on Brand Positioning" Korea Design Knowledge Journal, Vol. 28. pp. 111-120. 2013.
- Keller, K. L. and D. Lehmann, "Brands and Branding: Research Findings and Future Priorities," Marketing Science, Vol. 25 (November-December), pp. 740-759, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1287/mksc.1050.0153
- Davis, S. M., Brand Asset Management: Driving Profitable Growth through your Brands, Wiley, 2000.
- W. M. Hur, J. Woo, J. Y. Kim, “Case Study for Amway Korea's Brand Repositioning and Marketing Communication Strategy,” Journal of Business Research, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 207-228, 2008.
- An, K. H., Strategic Btand Management, Hakyensa, 2004.
- J. W. Sin, “A study on rhe Repositioning Strategy by Chicken Brand Revitalization-Focused on the 'Chicken Mania' Development Project in Franchise Brand,” A Journal of Brand Design Association of Korea, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 95-110, 2014. https://doi.org/10.18852/bdak.2014.12.1.95
- K. Y. Park, C. Y. Lee, J. H. Kim, "On the Influence of Branded-app Usage and Motivation on Brand Attitudes, Satisfaction and Intention to Repeat Usage," Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 5, pp. 157-163, 2016.
- Korea Magazine association, Magazine Journal, September Issue, pp. 25-27, 2015b.
- Korea Magazine association, Magazine Journal, October Issue, pp. 31-33, 2015c.
- Korea Magazine association, Magazine Journal, July-August Issue, pp. 25, 2015a.
- S. J. Lee, J. H. Park, J. S. Park, "A Study on Digital Magazine Portal App Business Model," Journal of Social Science, Vol. 41, No. 1, pp. 133-154, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15820/khjss.2015.41.1.006
- K. H. Han, S. N. Jo, "The Effect and Its Potential Determinants of Cross-Media Advertising between Online and Offline Media," Journal of Digital Convergence ,Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 105-114, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.3.105
- C. J. Jeong, "A Study on the Advertising Creative Based on the Technology Convergence," Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 235-241, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.4.235
- M. J. Kim, "A study on the factors on use diversity or usage of mobile video services," Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 389-396. 2016.
- L. S. Kim, “Convergence of Information Technology and Corporate Strategy,” Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 17-26, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.6.017
- Y. J. Kim, “An analysis of consumption behavior and consumption problem according to the digital convergence,” Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 149-156, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.2.149
- H. I. Kwon, Y. B. Na, “Research on e-book Market Activation Factor in the viewpoint of CPND Eco-system : Focused in the Publisher AHP,” Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 51-59, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.4.51
- http://www.media21.or.kr/solution (assessed Dec. 20, 2015)