- Volume 14 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
A Strategy for Converting from Printed to Digital Magazines : - Focusing on the Brand Positioning of International and Domestic Popular Magazines -
종이 잡지의 디지털 매거진 변환 전략: 해외 매거진과 국내 대중지의 브랜드 포지셔닝을 중심으로
- Kwon, Hyeog-In (School of business administration, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Yang, Mun-Sil (Dept. of Culture-Art Business Administration, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Na, Yun-Bin (Dept. of Culture-Art Business Administration, Chung-Ang University)
- Received : 2016.04.25
- Accepted : 2016.08.20
- Published : 2016.08.28
This paper focuses on proposing an alternative solution via identifying the problems that domestic popular magazines encounter in the context of the recession crisis faced by printed media in accordance with the advent of the digital media era. Firstly, current-state investigation and in-depth interviews with editorial staff of the major 4 domestic women's magazines were conducted to analyze their brand positioning and change of direction in facing the rise of smart devices. Secondly, domestic women's magazines were compared with international popular magazines that have been successfully undergoing digitalization. Accordingly, domestic women's magazines lack the know-how to digitalize their publication and show limitations in collaboration, openness, trans-media, and cross-media. As most women's magazines are unprofessionally composed of gossip articles having popular appeal rather than practicality, it is an urgent issue for them to differentiate their contents from competitors.
- Korea Press Foundation, Investigation on Magazine Industry, 2013.
- Y. B. Na, S. H. Lee, Y. J. Myeong, S. R. Jo, “Effects on the System, Contents, and Service Quality of e-book User Purchase,” Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 149-156, 2016.
- S. M. Yun, "A Study of the Korean magazine industry's current situation and the development methods: Based on the case study of the professional group," Studies of Korean Publishing Science, Vol. 40. No. 3, pp. 137-159, 2014.
- Y. J. Lee, "The Survey Study of the Structural Feature of the Magazine Industry in South Korea," Studies of Korean Publishing Science, No. 47, pp. 123-153, 2004.
- Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism, The Magazine Industry for the advancement of a five-year plan report(2012-2016)
- C. H. Lee, "A Study on Strategics for Establishment of Service System for Ubiquitous Magazine" Chung Ang university master's thesis, 2012.
- Lee, H. S., An, K. H., Ha, Y. W., Consumer Behavior : Strategic Marketing Approach, Bobmunsa, 2012. 17, pp. 171-197, 2015.
- W-M. Ou, R. Abratt and P. Dion, "The Influence of Retailer Reputation on Store Patronage," Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, May, 221-230. 2006.
- I. S. Kim, “A positioning study of major beer brands in the Korean market based on college students' perceptions,” Korean Journal of Journalism & Communication Studies, Vol. 46, No. 2, pp. 184-225, 2002.
- An, K. H., Ha, Y. W., Park, H. S., Principle of Marketing, Hakyensa, 2014.
- Keller, K. L. Strategic Brand Management: Building & Management Brand Equity, Prentice-Hall, Inc, 2002.
- S. H. Kim, "A Study on the Impacts of Applying Innovative Media Creativity on Brand Positioning" Korea Design Knowledge Journal, Vol. 28. pp. 111-120. 2013.
- Keller, K. L. and D. Lehmann, "Brands and Branding: Research Findings and Future Priorities," Marketing Science, Vol. 25 (November-December), pp. 740-759, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1287/mksc.1050.0153
- Davis, S. M., Brand Asset Management: Driving Profitable Growth through your Brands, Wiley, 2000.
- W. M. Hur, J. Woo, J. Y. Kim, “Case Study for Amway Korea's Brand Repositioning and Marketing Communication Strategy,” Journal of Business Research, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 207-228, 2008.
- An, K. H., Strategic Btand Management, Hakyensa, 2004.
- J. W. Sin, “A study on rhe Repositioning Strategy by Chicken Brand Revitalization-Focused on the 'Chicken Mania' Development Project in Franchise Brand,” A Journal of Brand Design Association of Korea, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 95-110, 2014. https://doi.org/10.18852/bdak.2014.12.1.95
- K. Y. Park, C. Y. Lee, J. H. Kim, "On the Influence of Branded-app Usage and Motivation on Brand Attitudes, Satisfaction and Intention to Repeat Usage," Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 5, pp. 157-163, 2016.
- Korea Magazine association, Magazine Journal, September Issue, pp. 25-27, 2015b.
- Korea Magazine association, Magazine Journal, October Issue, pp. 31-33, 2015c.
- Korea Magazine association, Magazine Journal, July-August Issue, pp. 25, 2015a.
- S. J. Lee, J. H. Park, J. S. Park, "A Study on Digital Magazine Portal App Business Model," Journal of Social Science, Vol. 41, No. 1, pp. 133-154, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15820/khjss.2015.41.1.006
- K. H. Han, S. N. Jo, "The Effect and Its Potential Determinants of Cross-Media Advertising between Online and Offline Media," Journal of Digital Convergence ,Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 105-114, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.3.105
- C. J. Jeong, "A Study on the Advertising Creative Based on the Technology Convergence," Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 235-241, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.4.235
- M. J. Kim, "A study on the factors on use diversity or usage of mobile video services," Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 389-396. 2016.
- L. S. Kim, “Convergence of Information Technology and Corporate Strategy,” Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 17-26, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.6.017
- Y. J. Kim, “An analysis of consumption behavior and consumption problem according to the digital convergence,” Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 149-156, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.2.149
- H. I. Kwon, Y. B. Na, “Research on e-book Market Activation Factor in the viewpoint of CPND Eco-system : Focused in the Publisher AHP,” Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 51-59, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.4.51
- http://www.media21.or.kr/solution (assessed Dec. 20, 2015)