- Volume 14 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Family Strength on the Ethnical Identity of Third Culture Adolescents- Focusing on the Medication Effects of Self-Esteem
제3문화 청소년의 가족건강성이 민족정체성에 미치는 영향 : 자아존중감을 매개효과로
- Jeon, Ji-Kyung (Dept. of Counseling Psychology, Hannam University) ;
- Rhee, Kyung-Ah (TCIS) ;
- Seo, In-Doug (Crean Lutheran High School)
- Received : 2016.07.02
- Accepted : 2016.08.20
- Published : 2016.08.28
The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of Family Strength(FS) on the Ethnical Identity(EI) of Third Culture Adolescents and to verify the mediating effect of Self-Esteem(SE) between FS and EI. The subjects of this study were 86 adolescents from two different regions-Fairfax, Virginia and Irvine, California-who are ethnically Korean and hold either Korean or American citizenship. These analyses were carried out with SPSS 18.0, using t-test, one-way ANOVA, corelation analysis, regression analysis and Sobel test to test the significance of a mediation effect. The results of this study are as follows: 1. FS, SE and EI showed a significant positive correlation. 2. SE mediated the effects the relationship between FS and EI. 3. SE had a partial mediation effect on the relationship between FS and Exploration, a sub-variable of EI. SE also had a significant effect on Affirmation, a sub-variable of EI, but there was no significant effect on FS. The results discuss the implication and limitations of this study, and make suggestions for a follow-up study for a healthy ethnic identity formation.
Third Culture Adolescent;Ethnic Identity;Family Strength;Self-Esteem;Counseling;Convergence Policy approach
- Joanna, L. W., Patrick, H. T., Myles, I. D., Amir, G. F., & Riana, E. A, “Integrating racial and ethnic identity research into developmental understanding of adolescents,” Child Development Perspectives, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 304-311, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1750-8606.2012.00235.x
- Phinney, J. S., “Ethnic identity in adolescents and adults: A review of research,” Psychological Bulletin, Vol. 108, No. 3, pp. 499-514, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.108.3.499
- Phinney, J. S., & Ong, A. D., "Conceptualization and measurement of ethnic identity: Current status and future directions," Journal of Counseling Psychology, Vol. 54, pp. 271-281, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0220.127.116.111
- H. N, Suh., & H. N. Ahn, “The effect of ethnic identity on the subjective well-being and self-esteem of Korean University students,” Korean Journal of Counseling, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 1037-1052, 2010. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.11.3.201009.1037
- Myrna. L. F., “Ethnic identity development of internationality adopted children and adolescents: implications for family therapists,” Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 43-60, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-0606.1999.tb01109.x
- Romero, A. J., & Roberts, R. E., “Perception of discrimination and ethnocultural variables in a diverse group of adolescents,” Journal of Adolescence, Vol. 21, No. 6, pp. 641-656, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1006/jado.1998.0185
- Supp. le, A. J., Ghazarian, S. R., Frabutt, J. M., Plunkett, S. W., & Sands, T., “Contextual influences on Latino adolescent ethnic identity and academic outcomes,” Child Develepment, Vol. 77, No. 5, pp. 1427-1433, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8624.2006.00945.x
- Olson, D. H., Mccubbin, H. I., Barnes, H., Larsen, A., Muxen, M., & Wilson, M., "Familes: what makes them work," Los Angelese: Sage, 1983.
- Lafromboise, T., Coleman, H. L. K., & Gerton, J, "Psychological impact of biculturalism: evidence and theory," Psychological Bulletin, Vol. 114, No. 3, pp. 394-412, 1993.
- Nguyen, L., & Huang, L. N, "Understanding Asian American youth development: A social ecological perspective," In F. Leong, A. G. Inman, A. Ebreo, L. Yang, L. M. Kinoshita, & M. Fu (Eds.) Handbook of Asian American Psychology (2nd ed., pp. 87-103.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage. 2007.
- Kyung-Ja. Oh., Curie. Park., & Seo-Jin, Oh, "Acculturation and psychological adjustment of returness: A study of Korea college students with extended experience of living aborad," Korean Journal of Psychological and Social Issues, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 125-146, 2010.
- Robertson, J. F., & Simons, R. L, “Family factors, self-esteem, and adolescent depression,” Journal of Marriage and the Family, Vol. 51, No. 1, pp. 125-138, 1989. https://doi.org/10.2307/352374
- E. k. Song, "The effects of self-esteem and family communication on interpersonal relationship and public speaking Anxiety of Adolescents,," Ph. D. dissertation, Hanseo University, 2013.
- Yiyuan, X., Joann, M. F., & Kristin P, "Ethnic identity and self-esteem among Asian and European Americans : When a minority is the majority and the majority is a minority," European Journal of Social Psychology, Vol. 45, pp. 62-76, 2014.
- Phinney, J., & Alipuria, L, "Ethnic identity in college students from four ethnic groups," Journal of Adolescence, Vol. 12, pp. 171-183, 1990.
- Laurie, D. M., & Hamilton I, M, "Culture and ethnic identity in family resilience" In Handbook for working with children and youth : pathways to resilience, Michael Ungar Dalhousie University. SAGE Publications, 2004.
- Inge, B. W., Maja, D., Sengul. Y., Geert. J. S., & Mariette, D. H., "Ethnic identity, externalizing problem behaviour and the mediating role of self-esteem among Dutch, Turkish-Dutch and Moroccan-Dutch adolescents," Journal of Adolescence, Vol. 31, pp. 223-240, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adolescence.2007.12.002
- Rosenberg, M, "Society and the adolescent self-image., " Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1965.
- Olson, D. H., Joyce P., & Yoav, L, "Family adaptability and cohesion evaluation scales (FACES III)," St. Paul: University of Minnesota, Family Social Science, 1985.
- Phinney, J, "The Multigroup ethnic identity measure: a new scale for use with diverse groups," Journal of Adolescent Research, Vol. 7, pp. 156-176, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1177/074355489272003
- Roberts, R., Phinney, J., Masse, L., Chen, Y. l., Roberts, C., & Romero, A, "The structure of ethnic Identity in young adolescents from diverse ethnocultural groups," Journal of Early adolescence, Vol. 19, pp. 301-322, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1177/0272431699019003001
- Baron, R. M. & Kenny, D. A, "The moderatormediator variable distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual, strategic, and statistical consideration," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 51, pp. 1173-1182, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1683
- Ruben, G. R, “The crucial within : ethnic identity, self-esteem, and segmented assimilation among children of immigrants,” The International Migration Review, Vol. 28, No. 4, pp. 748-794, 1994. https://doi.org/10.2307/2547157
- Waters, M. C, "The intersection of gender, race and ethnicity in identity development of Caribbean American teens," In Urban Adolescent girls: Resisting stereotypes. Ed. B. Leadbeater and N. Way. New York: New York University Press. In press, 1945.
- Richard, J. B., Sarah, L. G, "self-esteem/ self concept scales for children and adolescents : A review", Child and Adolescent Mental Health, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 190-201, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-3588.2005.00368.x
- D. Y. Kim, "Missionary kids' education: Limitations and Potentials ". Seoul: Mission Times, December, 1999.
- Tajfel, H., "Human groups and social categories," London: Cambridge University Press, 1981.
- Phinney, J., "Ethnic identity and acculturation," In K. Chun, P. Organista, & G. Marin (Eds.), Acculturation: Advances in theory, mea-surement, and applied research. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association, pp. 63-81. 2003.
- Phinney, J. S., & Rosenthal, D. A., "Ethnic identity in adolescence: Process, context, and outcome," In G. R. Adams, T. P. Gullata, & R. Monternigther (Eds.), Advances in adolescent development, Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage. chater 4. pp. 145-172, 1992.
- Colette, S., "Ethnic and national identity among second-generation immigrant adolescents in France: The role of social context and family," Journal of Adolescence, Vol. 31, pp. 185-205, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adolescence.2007.08.001
- S. Y. Kim, "Relationship between family system type and self-esteem of adolescents", Master. dissertation, Yonsei University, 1996.
- D. H. Kwon, & Y. H. Oh, "Family strength and self-esteem perceived by adolescent children," Journal of Korean Management Association, Vol. 22. No. 1, pp. 115-127, 2004.
- Demo, D. H., Small, S. A., & Williams, R. C, "Family relations and the self-esteem of adolescents and their parents," Journal of Personality and Social psychology, Vol. 48, No. 6, pp. 1490-1502, 1987.
- Chen, G. M, "A Review of the concept of intercultural sensitivity," Paper presented at the Biennial Convention of the Pacific and Asian Communication Association (Honolulu, HI, January, 1997), 1997.
- S. U. Yoon., & Y. S. Kwon, “Relationship between test anxiety and self-esteem in partial health related department convergence College students,” Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 91-98, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.091
- Reasoner, R, "Building self-esteem in secondary schools," Palo Alto: Consulting Psychologists Press, Inc, 1982.
- J. W. Lee., & K. H. Kang, “Study about the relationship between self-esteem, depression and stress of students according to school system,” Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 5, No. 4, pp. 69-74, 2014. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2014.5.4.069
- J. H. Choi, "Self-esteem and familial strength of the University students," Secondary Institute Education, Vol. 27, pp. 1-20, 2015.
- Hankookilbo, "Sham statistics on the early study abroad: Estimated to double in fact," 2014.12.14. http://www.hankookilbo.com/v/38db595986a04e5194404551895f5a0a
- Pollock, D. C., & Van Reken, R. E, "The third culture kid-experience : growing up among the worlds". Intercultural Press, 1999.
- Schaetti, B, Global Nomad, "Third culture kid, adult third kid, Third Culture Adult: What do they all mean?" [Electronic version] Aramco ExPats website. 2006, from http://www.aramcoexpats.com/Commnity/Aramco-Brats/ContentID/1866/Content.aspx
- J. A. Lee, “Characteristics and implications of civic multiculturalism policy of Canada,” Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 11, pp. 15-23, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.11.15
- K. S. Noh., J. Y. Lee., & S. T. P, “A study on the development multicultural family business model,” Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 199-207, 2016.
- S. W. Kim, "The analysis of TCKs' self-identity and the educational counter proposal," Ma. dissertation, Korea National University, 2008.
- Gilbert, K. R., “Loss and grief between and among cultures: the experience of third culture kids. Illness,” Crisis & Loss, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 93-109, 2008. https://doi.org/10.2190/IL.16.2.a
- Hoersting, R. C., & Rae Jenkins, S, "No place to call home: cultural homelessness, self-esteem and cross-cultural identities," International Journal of Intercultural Relations, Vol. 35, pp. 17-30, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijintrel.2010.11.005
- Mortimer, M., "Adult third culture kids: common themes, relational struggles and therapeutic experiences," Ph. D. dissertation, Aliant International University. 2010.
- Pollock, D. C., "Raising resilient MKs: resources for caregivers, parents, and teachers," in Being a Third Culture Kid: A Profile. Ed. Bowers, J. M., Association of Christian Schools International. Colorado Strings, CO, pp. 45-53, 1998.
- Baek, A. K., "A study on MK(Missionary Kid)'s idendity fromation-focused on MK living in Seoul-," Master. dissertation, Ewha Womans University. 2000.