- Volume 14 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Roles of Childcare Teachers toward Child Abuse Prevention
아동학대예방을 위한 보육교사의 역할
- Lee, Eun-Ju (Dept. of Social Welfare, Dongguk University-Gyeongju)
- 이은주 (동국대학교 경주캠퍼스 사회복지학과)
- Received : 2016.07.05
- Accepted : 2016.08.20
- Published : 2016.08.28
The purpose of this study is to identify childcare teachers' self-reported perception of child abuse and neglect, reporting procedures, and reporting experience in Korea. The total average score of knowledge in child abuse and neglect was relatively high and most childcare teachers consider child abuse and neglect as a highly serious problem. About eighty six percent daycare teachers perceived reporting legislation toward child abuse and neglect, and most teachers in the study population perceived themselves as mandatory reporters. As the Child Welfare Act included a clause on mandated reporters, childcare teachers' role in intervening in child abuse cases has become more critical. In order to increase childcare teachers' reporting, education program should be designed for childcare teachers to effectively involve them in reporting child abuse and neglect.
Child abuse;Roles of childcare teachers;Mandatory reporting;Perceptions of child abuse;Experiences of child abuse
- Kenny, M, "Teachers' attitudes toward and knowledge of child maltreatment, Child Abuse & Neglect, Vol. 28, pp. 1311-1319. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chiabu.2004.06.010
- Kenny, M, "Web-based training in child maltreatment for future mandated reporters," Child Abuse & Neglect, Vol. 31, pp. 671-678. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chiabu.2006.12.008
- King, W. K., Kiesel, E. L., Simon, H. K., King, W. K., Kiesel, E. L., & Simon, H. K. child abuse and neglect fatalities: are we missing opportunities for intervention? Pediatric Emergency Care, Vol. 22, No. 4, pp. 211-214. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.pec.0000208180.94166.dd
- Korean Ministry of Health and Welfare, "Korean Child Abuse and Neglect Report," 2013.
- Korean Ministry of Health and Welfare, Korean National Child Protection Agency, "Child Abuse and Neglect Anual Report in 2014," 2015.
- Krug, E. G., Dahlberg, L. L., Mercy, J. A., Zwi, A. B., & Lozano, R, "World report on violence and health," Geneva: World Health Organization, 2002.
- Levi, B. H, Crowell, K., Walsh, K., & Dellasega, C, "How Childcare Providers Interpret 'Reasonable Suspicion' of Child Abuse," Child Youth Care Forum, 44, pp. 875-891. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10566-015-9302-5
- Mathews., B., & Kenny, M. C, "Mandatory reporting legislation in the United States, Canada, and Australia: A cross-Jurisdictional review of key features, differences and issues," Child Maltreatment, Vol. 13, 50-59. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1177/1077559507310613
- McKee, B.E. & Dillenburger, K, "Effectiveness of child protection training for pre-service early childhood educators," International Journal of Educational Research., Vol. 53, pp. 348-359, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijer.2012.04.008
- McPherson, L., & Barnett, M, "Beginning practice in child protection: a blended learning approach. Social Work Education," Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 192-198. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1080/02615470500487838
- Pietrantonio, A. M., Wright, E., Gibson, K. N., Alldred, T., Jacobson, D., & Niec, A. "Mandatory reporting of child abuse and neglect: Crafting a positive process for health professionals and caregivers," Child Abuse & Neglect, Vol. 37, pp. 102-109. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chiabu.2012.12.007
- Sedlak, A.J., Mettenburg, J., Basena, M., Petta, I., McPherson, K., Greene, A., and Li, S, "Fourth National Incidence Study of Child Abuse and Neglect (NIS-4): Report to Congress," Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Children and Families. 2010.
- Seo, Y. K, "Predictors on reporting intention of mandated reporter," Unpublished master's thesis, Sookmyung Women's University. 2005.
- Toros, K. & Tiirik, R, "Preschool Teachers' Perceptions about and experience with child abuse and neglect," Early Childhood Education Journal, Vol. 44, pp. 21-30. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10643-014-0675-0
- U. S. Department of Health and Human Services Childmaltreatment.2011.http://www.acf.hhs.gov/pro grams/cb/research-data-technology/statistics-research/child-maltreatment. 2012.
- Alvarez, K. M., Kenny, M. C., Donohue, B., & Carpin, K. M, "Why are professionals failing to initiate mandated reports of child maltreatment, and are there any empirically based training programs to assist professionals in the reporting process?" Aggression and Violent Behavior, Vol. 9, No. 5, pp. 563-578, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.avb.2003.07.001
- Benbenishty, R., & Schmid, H, "Public attitudes toward the identification and reporting of alleged maltreatment case among social groups in Israel," Children and Youth Services Review, Vol. 35, pp. 332-339, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.childyouth.2012.11.013
- Carter, J.C., Bewell, C., Blackmore, E., & Woodside, D.B, "The impact of childhood sexual abuse in anorexia nervosa," Child Abuse & Neglect, Vol. 30, pp. 257-269, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chiabu.2005.09.004
- Cho, Y. J., & Shin, H. R, "A study on report experience and perception of mandatory reporters," Journal of Korean Society of Child Welfare, Vol. 44, pp. 213-237, 2013.
- Doe, S. S, “Cultural factors in child maltreatment and domestic violence in Korea,” Children and Youth Service Review, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 231-236, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0190-7409(00)00077-3
- Dinehart, L. H., Katz, L. F., Manfra, L., & Ullery, M. A., “Providing quality early care and education to young children who experience maltreatment: a review of the literature,” Early Childhood Education Journal, Vol. 41, No. 4, pp. 283-290, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10643-012-0553-6
- Fallon, B., Trocme, N., Fluke, J., MacLaurin, B., Tonmyr. L. & Yuan, Y, "Methodological challenges in measuring child maltreatment," Child Abuse & Neglect, Vol. 34, pp. 70-79. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chiabu.2009.08.008
- Feng, J-Y., Chen, S-J., Wilk, N. C., Yang, W-P., & Fetzer, S, "Kindergarten teachers' experience of reporting child abuse in Taiwan: Dancing on the edge," Children and Youth Services Reviews, Vol. 31, pp. 405-409. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.childyouth.2008.09.007
- Feng, J-Y., Jezewski. M. A., & Hsu, T, "The meaning of child abuse for nurses in Taiwan," Journal of Transcultural Nursing, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 142-149. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1177/1043659604273551
- Feng, J., Huang, T., & Wang, C, "Kindergarten teaches' experience with reporting child abuse and neglect in Taiwan," Child Abuse & Neglect, Vol. 34, pp. 124-128. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chiabu.2009.05.007
- Gilbert, R., Widom, C. S., Browne, K., Fergusson, D., Webb, E., & Janson, S, "Burden and consequences of child maltreatment in high-income countries," Lancet, Vol. 373, pp. 68-81. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(08)61706-7
- Kenny, M, "Child abuse reporting: Teachers' perceived deterrents," Child Abuse & Neglect, Vol. 25, No. 1. pp. 81-92. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0145-2134(00)00218-0