- Volume 14 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Difference of Career Barriers, Career Attitude Maturity, and Career Competencies based on Gender, Grade, and Fields of Major of Undergraduate students in the age of Convergence
융·복합 시대에 대학생 배경변인별 진로장벽, 진로태도성숙, 진로직업역량 차이분석
- Park, Sung-Hee (Graduate School of Education, Gachon University) ;
- Ahn, Jae-Hee (Division of Education, Sookmyung Women's University)
- Received : 2016.07.07
- Accepted : 2016.08.20
- Published : 2016.08.28
The purpose of this study is to analyze the difference of career barriers, career attitude maturity, and career competency based on gender, grade, and major fields of university students. 320 students responded the survey and the data were analyzed through MANOVA. There were significant differences in a sub-components of career barriers and career attitude maturity according to gender. Female students were higher in 'lack of self-clarity' and 'interpersonal difficulty' while male students were higher in the 'independency'. Lastly, there were significant differences in sub-components of career competencies according to gender, grades, and fields of majors. Female students were higher in 'career exploration'. Also, sophomore students showed the lowest scores and senior year students showed highest scores in 'career exploration' and 'career performance'. Students in the field of the social science showed highest scores in the 'career design' and 'career performance'. Suggestions and ideas to develop employability of students were discussed.
- D. S. Rychen, L. H. Salganik, "Key competencies for a successful life and a well-functioning society," Gottingen, Germany: Hogrefe & Huber, 2003.
- G. Y. Park, “An analysis of the educational needs for the competencies of career development in the undergraduates,” The Journal of Career Education Research, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 181-198, 2009.
- P. Knight, M. Yorke, “Employability and good learning in higher education,” Teaching in Higher Education, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 3-16, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1080/1356251032000052294
- G. N. Lee, "An analysis of educational needs for developing employment competency of university students," The Journal of Vocational Education Research, Vol. 31 No. 3, pp. 199-225, 2012.
- K. H. Lee, "The relation between career attitude maturity and psychological values of high school students," Ph.D Dissertation, Yeonsei University, 1997.
- Y. G. Lee, S. I. Jang, “A study on the employment mismatch between companies and universities: Focused on the ChungcheongNam-Do province,” Journal of Human Resource Development, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 31-48, 2011.
- R. Bridgstock, “The graduate attributes we've overlooked: enhancing graduate employability through career management skills,” Higher Education Research & Development, Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 31-44, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1080/07294360802444347
- D. E. Super, "A life-span, life space approach to career development," Journal of Vocational Behavior, Vol. 16, pp. 282-298, 1980. https://doi.org/10.1016/0001-8791(80)90056-1
- S. H. Choi, "The influence of career barriers, career aspiration and career attitude maturity on the career preparation behavior perceived by university stud ents," Ph.D Dissertation, Wonkwang University, 2007.
- M. London, "Overcoming career barriers: A model of cognitive and emotional process for realistic appraisal and constructive coping," Journal of Career Development, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 25-38, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1025082420866
- N. Ladany, R. Love, D. S. Melincoff, M. Remshard, "Urban high school students' commitment to career choice and occupational interests," Paper presented at the 103rd Annual Convention of the American Psychological Association, New York, 1995.
- S. J. Kim, "The influence of career barriers, hope and career decision-making self-efficacy on the career preparation behavior of college students," Ph..D Dissertation, Hongik University, 2005.
- E. R. Sohn., K. H. Kim, “The factors of career barriers perceived by female college students,” Korean Journal Of Counseling And Psychotherapy, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 121-139, 2002.
- E. H. McWhirter, "Perceived barriers to education and career: Ethnic and gender differences," Journal of Vocational Behavior, Vol. 50, pp. 124-140. 1997. https://doi.org/10.1006/jvbe.1995.1536
- R. W. Lent, S. D. Brown, G. Hacker, "Contextual supports and barriers to career choice: A social cognitive analysis," Journal of Counseling Psychology, Vol. 47, pp. 36-49. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0184.108.40.206
- Ministry of Education of Korea & Korean Educational Development Institute, "Statistical yearbook for employment of higher education graduates in 2014," http://kess.kedi.re.kr/publ/view?survSeq=2015&pub lSeq=58&menuSeq=3645&itemCode=02&language=en(March 6, 2016).
- OECD, "Education at a glance 2015, OECD," 2015. https://www.oecd.org/edu/EAG-Interim-report.pdf( March 6, 2016).
- Korea Employers Federation, "The actual conditions of new employee recruitment in 2015," http://ebook kef.or.kr/ecatalog.php?Dir=46(June 1, 2016).
- K. R. Roh, S. J. Hur, “An analysis on effects of achieving an employment goal of the university graduates youth,” The Journal of Vocational Education Research, Vol. 34, No. 3, pp. 1-22, 2015.
- S. H. Kim, M. J. Kim, “The effect of career preparation program on self-esteem, self-efficacy related career decision-making and career development readiness in university students,” Journal Of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 407-418, 2016.
- J. H. Ahn, "The effect of institutional social capital on female university graduates employment," The Journal of Sociology of Education, Vol. 16 No. 2. pp. 85-110. 2006.
- Y. H. Seoung, S. S. Kim, “The structural relationship of employment capability reinforcement programs for health-related college students to academic achievement and the adjustment to college life,” Journal Of Digital Convergence, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 355-363, 2013. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2013.11.2.355
- J. H. Youn, Y. L. You, "The study of college employment support programs for college student's competence," Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 22, No. 8. pp. 479-504. 2015.
- A. G. Watts, "Career development learning and employability", https://www.heacademy.ac.uk/sites/ default/files/esect_career_development_learning_and_employability.pdf(March 3, 2016).
- P.Sewell, P, L. Darce, “Moving from conceptual ambiguity to operational clarity: Employability, enterprise and enterpreneurship,” Higher Education. Education Training, Vol. 52, No. 1, pp. 89-94, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1108/00400911011017708
- C. H. Kim, B. Y. Kim, J. H. Park, H. J. Park, G. H. Lee, J. E. Chae, "A Study for Development of Korean University Student Competency Index. Korean Educational Development Institute," 2014.
- B. S. Lee, H. J. Gong., H. L. Kim, "Investigating differential influences of institutional features on career competency development of college students: A multilevel approach," Korean Journal of Educational Research, Vol. 51, No. 4, pp. 213-247, 2013.
- J. Y. Kim, “Qualitative case analysis : Meaning of the internship program experience in the undergraduate students' career development,” The Journal of Career Education Research, Vol. 27, No. 4, pp. 41-70, 2014.
- J. W. Lee, "An analysis of structural relationships between variables of university students' self-leadership, social support, career motivation, career decision-making self efficacy, and career maturity. Ph.D Dissertation," Soongsil University, 2015.
- K. H. Lim, “The mediating effects of self-encouragement on the relationship between career barriers and career attitude maturity of college students,” The Journal of Career Education Research, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 101-119, 2009.
- Y. H. Kim, "The mediating effect of achievement pressure and career decision-making self-efficacy in the relationship between parent-child bonding and career decision of college students," Ph.D Dissertation, Ewha Womans University, 2013.
- B. L. Seung, "The differences in career indecision according to the subtypes of career exploration behavior," Master Dissertation, Korea University, 2012.
- Y. R. Yoo, "Identifying core predicting variables of career attitude maturity for female engineering students," Ph.D Dissertation, Ewha Womans University, 2014.
- S. L. D. Restubag, A. R. Florentino, P. R. J. M. Garcia, "The mediating roles of career self-efficacy and career decidedness in the relationship between contextual support and persistence," Journal of Vocational Behavior, Vol. 77, No. 2, pp. 186-195, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2010.06.005
- E. Y. Kim, "A study for the development and validation of the Korean college students' career barrier inventory," Ph.D Dissertation, Ewha Womans University, 2001.
- E. K. Kyeun, "The effects of career group counseling program on university student's career decision competence," Journal Of Digital Convergence, Vol. 11, No. 10, 2013.
- J. P. Hong, H. S. Yang, “A study on the entrepreneurial intention determinants of university students,” Journal Of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 11, pp. 141-157, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.11.141
- S. J. Lee, Y. J. Lee, "Research on the actual condition of career decision-making self-efficacy. career decision level and career preparation behavior on Department of Dental Hygiene, K university," Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 27-32, 2012.
- J. S. Kim, K. H. Kim, T. W. Kyung, "Design and construction method of an employment support management system for college students: A case study," Journal Of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 11, pp. 329-338, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.11.329
- I. O. Jeon, "Established business start-up support Impact on The youth of business performance," Journal Of Digital Convergence, Vol. 10, No. 11, pp. 103-114, 2012. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2012.10.11.103
- E. Y. Yoo, Y. J. Yang, "A study on the difference among college students' department satisfaction and career maturity and the influence on career stress," Journal Of Digital Convergence, Vol. 11 No. 12, 2013.