- Volume 14 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
A Study on Assessment of Importance and Priority Derivation from Activities of Technology Transfer & Licensing Organization Using AHP Method
기술이전·사업화 전담조직(TLO) 활동의 중요도 평가 및 우선순위 도출에 관한 연구
- Han, Kyung-jin (Korea Institute of Energy Research) ;
- Kwak, Na-yeon (Graduate school of Information, Yonsei University) ;
- Lee, Choong C. (Graduate school of Information, Yonsei University)
- Received : 2016.06.23
- Accepted : 2016.08.20
- Published : 2016.08.28
Patent application as achievements from R&D institutions in public sector have quantitatively increased by expanding R&D investment for enhancing competitiveness but there have been few tangible outputs from the investment. From this reason, TLO(Technology Transfer&Licensing Organization) and its operation becomes more important to implement technology transfer and commercialization and to bring success in the related business. To get work done more efficiently and to improve utilizing products of the R&D in the TLO, this research is to draw domains and activities of TLO and establish its task systems by prioritizing activities. From literature reviews and expert interviews, we generated 6 work domains and 21 task items. Applying AHP analysis, we discriminated the relative importance from task items and analyzed its priority. The finding of this research can provide implications for TLO to increase work efficiency and improve its performance.
Technology transfer commercialization;TLO;Importance Evaluation;Priority Derivation;AHP
- KIAT, "Research institution's Technology Transfer and commercialization," 2014.
- National Science&Technology council, " Technology transfer and commercialization plan" 2014.
- M.S.Lee, T.H.Lee, J.S.Kim, “An Analysis on the Important Weight of Evaluation Items in Technology Transfer using AHP,” Journal of Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 11, No. 8, pp. 2758-2765, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2010.11.8.2758
- K.H.Kim, S.H.Hyun, Y.J.Choi, "Effects of Strategic Resources on Technology Commercialization". Journal of Information Technology Services, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 151-163. 2006.
- J.W.Min, Y.J.Kim, "A Study of Success Factors in Public Technology Transfer: The Implications of Licensee's Motivation ," The Journal of Intellectual Property, Vol. 10, No. 2, 2015.
- Presidential Council on Intellectual Property, "Market driven IP.Technology transfer activation plan," 2015.
- Souder, “Transferring New Technologies from R&D to Manufacturing,” Research Technology Management, Vol. 32, No. 5, pp. 38-44, 1990.
- Winebrake, James J, “An Analysis of Technology Transfer Mechanisms for Federally Funded R&D,” Journal of Technology Transfer, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 109-123, 1992.
- Roessner, J.D. Technology transfer. In: Hill, C. Ed. Science and Technology Policy in the US, A Time of Change. Longman, London, 2000.
- William, Technology Transfer: A Communication Perspective, Sage, Beverly Hills, CA, 1990.
- Rogers, E.M, Y. Yin and J. Hoffmann (2000), "Assessing the effectiveness of technology transfer offices at U.S. research universities," The Journal of the Association of University Technology Managers 12, pp. 47-80.
- Friedman and Silberman, University Technology Transfer: Do Incentives, Management, and Location Matter? The Journal of Technology Transfer January 2003, Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 17-30, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1021674618658
- KIIP, "Technology transfer and commercialization Research and Analysis," 2012.
- Siegel, D. S. Waldman, D. A., Atwater, L. E., & Link, A. N.. Toward a model of the effective transfer of scientific knowledge from academicians to practitioners: qualitative evidence from the commercialization of university technologies. Journal of Engineering and Technology Management, Vol. 21 No. 1, pp. 115-142. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jengtecman.2003.12.006
- C.M.Yoon, "A Study on the Management System of Special Organization for University Technology Transfer and Commercialization," Journal of Korea Technology Innovation Society , Vol. 16, No. 4, 1055-1089, 2013.
- K.W.Lee, H.B.Kim, I.H.Jang, "Government R&D Management and Utilization system report," KISTEP Issuepaper, Vol. 2, 2012.
- KIAT, "Task manual for Technology transfer and Standard contract form," 2010.
- B.K.Kim, H.J.Cho, J.Y.Ok, “A Study on the Technology Commercialization Process and Performance of Public Research Institutes in Korea using the Structural Equation Model,” Journal of Korea Technology Innovation Society, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 552-577, 2011.
- Cooper, R. G., & Kleinschmidt, E. J. An investigation into the new product process: steps, deficiencies, and impact. Journal of product innovation management, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 71-85, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1016/0737-6782(86)90030-5
- Mitchell, W. Using academic technology: Transfer methods and licensing incidence in the commercialization of American diagnostic imaging equipment research, 1954-1988. Research Policy, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 203-216. 1991. https://doi.org/10.1016/0048-7333(91)90052-R
- Robert E. Litan, "Commercializing University Innovations: Alternative Approaches," in Adam B. Jaffe, Josh Lerner and Scott, eds., Innovation Policy And The Economy (with Lesa Mitchell and E. J. Reedy, NBER, 2007.
- Siegel, D. S., Waldman, D. A., Atwater, L. E., & Link, A. N., " Toward a model of the effective transfer of scientific knowledge from academicians to practitioners: qualitative evidence from the commercialization of university technologies," Journal of Engineering and Technology Management, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 115-142. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jengtecman.2003.12.006
- Markman, G. D., Phan, P. H., Balkin, D. B., & Gianiodis, P. T. Entrepreneurship and university-based technology transfer," Journal of Business Venturing, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 241-263, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusvent.2003.12.003
- Razgaitis, R.. Valuation and pricing of technologybased intellectual property. New York : Wiley, 2003.
- Root, F. R., & Contractor, F. J, "Negotiating compensation in international licensing agreements," Sloan Management Review, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 23-32. 1981.
- Thursby, J. G., & Thursby, M. C., “Who is Selling the Ivory Tower?,” Sources of Growth in University Licensing. management Science, Vol. 48, No. 1, pp. 90 -104, 2002.
- Etzkowitz, Research groups as "quasi-firms": the invention of the entrepreneurial university. Research Policy, Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 109-121. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-7333(02)00009-4
- Colyvas et al., "How Do University Inventions Get Into Practice?," Management Science, Vol. 48, pp. 61-72. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.22.214.171.12472
- Donald S. Siegel, Phillip H. Phan, Analyzing the Effectiveness of UniversityTechnology Transfer : Implicationsfor Entrepreneurship Education, in Gary D. Libecap (ed.) University Entrepreneurship and Technology Transfer (Advances in the Study of Entrepreneurship, Innovation &; Economic Growth, Vol. 16, Emerald Group Publishing Limited, pp. 1-38, 2005.
- Saaty, T. The Analytic Hierarchy Process. New York, McGraw-Hill, 1980.
- Hyang-Soon Joun, Sang-Yong Lee, “AHP-based Technology Start-ups Factors Analysis system,” Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 311-317, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.4.311
- Dae-Ho Byun, “Evaluating Usability of E-government Web Sites Using the AHP,” Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 19-37, 2010.
- Young-Jun Kim, “Convergence of Business Information System Process using Knowledge-based Method,” Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 65-71, 2015.
- Sung-Uk Bae, Dong-Gi Kwag, Eun-Young Park, “The Study of the Aviation Industrial Technology Convergence through Patent analysis,” Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 219-225, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.219