- Volume 14 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Comparative study on differences in perception of human rights of People with disabilities and Staffs in the disabled residential facilities
장애인 거주시설 장애인과 종사자의 인권 인식 비교
- Chun, Dong-Il (Kang Won National University) ;
- Kim, Nang-Hee (Institute of Social Welfare of Seoul National University) ;
- Seo, Jeong-Min (Institute of Social Welfare of Seoul National University)
- Received : 2016.05.26
- Accepted : 2016.08.20
- Published : 2016.08.28
The purpose of this study is to compare the differences in human rights perception between people with disabilities and staffs in the disabled residential facilities. Using data from the '2014 Human Rights Survey on Disability in the Disabled Residential Facilities' for 602 facilities, the study compared their perception of human rights(16 items), including human rights guarantee(12 items) and human rights violation(4 items). Result showed that the rate of perception for human rights guarantee and violation(except staff violation) of staffs was higher than people with disabilities(p<.05). This study demonstrated that there were significant differences in human right perception between people with disabilities and staffs. The cause of this difference would be the conflict between roles of staff and needs of person with disabilities, absence of human rights indicators by mutual consent between the two. Our findings suggested a need for study on strategies to solve gap of perception between the two, such as integrated human rights education, developing consensual human rights indicators.
human rights of people with disabilities;perception of human rights;the disabled residential facilities;human rights protection;human rights violations
- Geon-Bo Kwon, "Domestic Implementation of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities," Kyungpook Natl. Univ. Law Journal Vol. 39, pp. 517-542, 2012.
- Han-jin Cho, Young-Shin Ko, Jung-Ran Kwak, Sung-Yub Kim, Hee-Sun Kim, So-Youn Lim, Hee-Jung Choi, "Research community mental handicapped human rights situation through case studies, The National Human Rights Commission," 2006.
- Hyung-Shik Kim & Ji-Young Kim, "Human Right & Social Work, Seoul: Nanam (Trans) 2011. Jim Ife. Human Right and Social Work, Cambridge Univ press," 2007.
- Hyun-Suk Shin, “A Case Study on Human Rights in Living Facilities for the Disabled,” The Journal of Korean Society of Health Sciences, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 87-100, 2011.
- Kyung-Su Park & Hae-Kyung Chang, "Case Study on Human rights Dilemmas in Living Facility for the Disabled," Journal of Disability and Welfare, Vol. 22, pp. 249-272, 2013.
- Mi-Kyung Seo, "The Assurance and Restriction on Human Rights of the Mentally Ill," Korean Journal of Social Welfare, Vol. 55, pp. 231-254, 2003.
- Mi-Ok Kim & Kyung-Hee Kim, “A Qualitative Case Study on Rights-Based Social Work Practice in a Residential Facility for People with Intellectual Disabilities,” Korean Journal of Social Welfare, Vol. 63, No. 1, pp. 29-55, 2011.
- Mi-Ok Kim, Jin-Kyung Jung & Hee-sung Kim, "A Study on the Human Rights of Persons with Disabilities in Residential Facilities; Focused on perceptions of workers and persons with disabilities in residential facilities," Social Welfare Policy, Vol. 33, pp. 389-422, 2008.
- Pil-Hun Ok, "A Study on the Actual State of Discrimination and Human Rights Welfare for the Disabled," Human Right Vol. 15, 27-51, 2014.
- Reichert, E, "Understanding Human Rights : An Exercise Book". Sage Publications, Inc. 2006.
- Sung-Taek Lim, "Human rights in the residential facility of the disabled," The Justice Vol. 128, pp. 7-59. 2012.
- Sun-Young Jung, Sang-Gil Kong, Eun-Kyung Im, Duk-Hee Chun, Young-Rim Oh, “A Study on the Human Rights Sensitivity of Employees in the Vagabond Facilities,” Korean Journal of Social Welfare, Vol. 62, No. 1, pp. 263-289, 2010. https://doi.org/10.20970/kasw.2010.62.1.011
- Yong-Chung Jung, “The responsibility & the role of the Rehabilitation Welfare Center for human rights,” Korean Journal of Clinical Social Work, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 25-44, 2015.
- Young-Suk Cho & Young-sun Chung, “A study on the worker's human rights perspective in living facilities for the disabled,” Journal of the Rights of Children with Disability, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 81-93, 2013.
- Young-Suk Cho, “A study on the human rights status and improvement in residential welfare institutions for the disabled children,” Journal of the Rights of Children with Disability, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 51-69, 2014.
- Dongl-Il Chun, Jeong-Min Seo, Jung-Suk Han, Jong-Phil Won, Kyung-Hee Ro & Yu-Mi Kim, "Improvement Study for the human rights of persons with disabilities in the disabled residential facilities, Korea Federation of Organization of the Disabled.Korea Disabled people's Development Institute". 2014.