- Volume 18 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of Calcium/Vitamin D Intake and Taekkyeon Exercise on the Elderly's Frailty
칼슘/비타민D 섭취와 택견운동이 노인 허약에 미치는 효과
- Lee, Kwang Ok (Department of Nursing, Sangmyung University)
- 이광옥 (상명대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2016.08.12
- Accepted : 2016.08.17
- Published : 2016.08.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study is to understand the effect of taking calcium/vitamin D supplements and performing Taekkyeon exercises on the frailty of the elderly targeting a vulnerable senior social group. Methods: A total of 124 people aged 65 and older consisting of 60 persons in the experimental group, and 64 persons in the control group participated in this study, and this study is a non-equivalent control group pre/post-test design quasi-experimental study. This study analyzed the homogeneity between the experimental group and the control group using a chi-square test and t-test while analyzing the difference in the degree of frailty and bone density with the practice of Taekkyeon and a calcium agent using t-test and GEE. Results: The study results showed that the frailty and bone density of the experimental group significantly improved. Conclusion: Through this study, it was confirmed that calcium/vitamin D intake and Taekkyeon exercises were an effective intervention which strengthened the elderly's physical condition.
Supported by : 상명대학교
- Planning and Social Statistics. Elderly Statistics 2015 [Internet]. Seoul: Korea National Statistical Office; 2015 [cited 2015 Sep 24]. Available from: http://kostat.go.kr/portal/korea/kor_nw/2/1/index.board?bmode=read&aSeq=348565
- Fried LP, Ferrucci L, Darer J, Williamson JD, Anderson G. Untangling the concepts of disability, frailty, and comorbidity: Implications for improved targeting and care. Journals of Gerontology Series A: Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences. 2004;59(3):55-63. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15031310
- Fried LP, Tangen CM, Walston J, Newman AB, Hirsch C, Gottdiener J, et al. Frailty in oder adults: evidence for a phenotype. Journal of Gerontology MEDICAL SCIENCES. 2001;56A(3):146-156.
- Park BJ, Lee YJ. Integrative approach to elderly frailty. Korean Jounal of Farmily Medicine. 2010;31:747-754. http://synapse.koreamed.org/DOIx.php?id=10.4082/kjfm.2010.31.10.747 https://doi.org/10.4082/kjfm.2010.31.10.747
- Evans Wj, Paolisso G, Abbatecola AM, Corsonnello F, et al. Frailty and muscle metabolism dysregulation in the elderly Biogerontology. 2010;11(5):527-536. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10522-010-9297-0 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10522-010-9297-0
- Walston J, McBurnie MA, Newman A, Russell P, Tracy RP, Kop WJ, Hirsch CH, et al. Frailty and activation of the inflammation and coagulation systems with and without clinical comorbidities: results from the cardiovascular health study. Archives of Internal Medicine. 2002;162(20):2333-2341. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=frality+and+activation+of+the+inflammation+and+coagulation+systems https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.162.20.2333
- Abbatecola AM, Paolisso G. Is there a relationship between insulin, resistance and frailty syndrome? Current Pharmaceutical esign. 2008;14(4):405-410. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=1.+Is+there+a+relationship+between+insulin%2C+resistance+and+frailty+syndrome https://doi.org/10.2174/138161208783497750
- Fulop T, Larbi A, Witkowsk JM, JcElhaney J, Loeb M, Mitnitski A, et al. Aging, frailty and age-related diseases. Biogerontology. 2010;11(5):547-563. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10522-010-9287-2
- Barzilay JI, Blaum C, Moore T, Xue QL, Hirsch CH, Walston JD, et al. Insulin resistance and inflammation as precursors of frailty: the Cardiovascular Health Study. Archives of Internal Medicine. 2007;167(7):635-641. https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.167.7.635
- Hamrick MW, Herberg S, Arounleut P, He HZ, Shiver A, Qj RQ, et al. The adipokine leptin increases skeletal muscle mass and significantly alters skeletal muscle miRNA expression profile in aged mice. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2010;400(3):379-383. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbrc.2010.08.079
- Puts MT, Visser M, Twisk JW, Deeg DJ, Lips P. Endocrine and inflammatory markers as predictors of frailty. Clinical Endocrinology. 2005;63(4):403-411. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=1.+Endocrine+and+inflammatory+markers+as+predictors+of+frailty https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2265.2005.02355.x
- Lebel P, Leduc N, Kergoat MJ, Lederc C. Un modele dynamique de la fragilite. In Campbell AJ, editors. L'annee gerontologique. Paris: Serdi Press; 1999.
- Jeong IG, Yoon JH, Kim JO, Kim YP, Lee MS, Yoon JS, Byun JJ. Relationship of isokinetic flexion and extension muscle strength, muscle mass to bone mineral density in body limbs. The Korean Journal of Sports Medicine. 2003;21(2):176-183.
- Park HA, Kim HJ, Kim TJ, Park JJ, Park JK. Weight and bone mineral density-The summary of epidemiological evidence. Korean Journal of Family Medicine. 2009;30(3):167-174. https://doi.org/10.4082/kjfm.2009.30.3.167
- Matsumine H, Hirato K, Yanaihara T, Tamada T, Yoshida M. Aromatization by skeletal muscle. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 1986;63(3):717-720. https://doi.org/10.1210/jcem-63-3-717
- Kang SJ. The effect of Sarcopenia Index, Inflammation Cytokine and Insulin Resistance in Aerobic and Resistance Exercise of Frail Elderly Women. The Korean Journal of Physical Education. 2014;53(2):497-508.
- Taaffe DR, Duret C, Wheeler S, Marcus R. Once-weekly resistance exercise improves muscle strength and neuromuscular performance in older adults. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 1999;47(10):1208-1214. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1532-5415.1999.tb05201.x/full https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.1999.tb05201.x
- Lim SW, Oh JK. Effects of Tackyun Pum-balb-gi and Balance Trainging on Physical Fitness and Balance Confidence in Female Elderly. Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies. 2008;34(2):1063-1072.
- Chemiack EP, Florez HJ, Troen BR. Emerging therapies to treat frailty syndrome in the elderly. Alternative medicine review. 2007;12(3):246-258. http://www.altmedrev.com/publications/12/3/246.pdf
- Bischoff-Ferrari HA, Willett WC, Wong JB, Giovannucci E, Dietrich T, Dawson-Hughes B, et al. Fracture prevention with vitamin D supplementation: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Journal of the American Medical Association. 2005;293(18):2257-2264. http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=200871 https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.293.18.2257
- Lee IS, Park YI, Park EO, Lee SH, Jeong IS. Validation of instruments to classify the frailty of the elderly in commucity. Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing. 2011;22(3):302-314. http://synapse.koreamed.org/search.php?where=aview&id=10.12799/jkachn.2011.22.3.302&code=0200JKACHN&vmode=FULL https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2011.22.3.302
- Tang BM, Eslick GD, Nowson C, Smith C, Bensoussan A. Use of calcium or calcium in combination with vitaminD supplementation to prevent fractures and bone loss in people aged 50years and older: a meta-analysis. Lancet. 2007;370(9588):657-666. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(07)61342-7
- Lee IS, Lee KO. The effect of a comprehensive Intervention Program on the functional status and bone density of the socially-vulnerable and frail elderly. Journal of Korean Academy Health Nursing. 2016;27(1):51-59. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2016.27.1.51
- Kim KT. Influence of Resistance Excercise and Calcium Supplement on Body Composition, Physical Fitness, Glucose Metabolism, and Blood Lipids in Obese Elementary School Students. Korean Journal of Sport Science. 2013;24(3):415-427. https://doi.org/10.24985/kjss.2013.24.3.415
- Sun WD. Older Persons Physical and Cognitive Functions, Elderly Caregiving, and Policy Considerations. Health-welfare Policyforum. 2015;223:40-47.