- Volume 18 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Case-based Learning (CBL) on Critical Thinking Disposition, Communication Ability, Problem Solving Ability and Self-directed Learning Ability of Nursing Students in Pathophysiology Course
병태생리학 사례기반학습이 간호대학생의 비판적 사고성향, 의사소통능력, 문제해결능력, 자기주도적 학습능력에 미치는 효과
- Lee, Min Hee (Department of Nursing, Konkuk University) ;
- Park, Myung Sook (Department of Nursing, Konkuk University)
- Received : 2016.08.05
- Accepted : 2016.08.20
- Published : 2016.08.31
Purpose: This study is a quasi-experimental study to investigate the effect of case-based learning (CBL) on critical thinking disposition, communication ability, problem solving ability and self-directed learning ability of nursing students in a pathophysiology course. Methods: The development of 3 CBL scenarios of pathophysiology were conducted by nursing faculties & clinical nurses before CBL began. Among the sophomore nursing students who were taking a pathophysiology course, the intervention group (n=43) was the nursing students who hope to participate in an extra-CBL program with usual pathophysiology lessons and the control group (n=36) was the nursing students who wanted to receive the usual pathophysiology lessons. The intervention group received additional CBL using 3 different scenarios for 1 hour per week during 4 weeks from May to June, 2016. Data were analyzed by a chi-square test, t-test and ANCOVA using SPSS WIN 18.0 Results: The mean score of critical thinking disposition (F=11.60, p=.001), communication ability (F=4.24, p=.043), and self-directed learning ability (F=4.75, p=.032) were significantly higher in intervention group than those in control group. But there was no significant difference between the two groups in problem solving ability (F=1.59, p=.211). Conclusions: The application of a CBL program during a pathophysiology course was effective in improving the critical thinking disposition, and the self-directed learning ability of sophomore nursing students.
- Distler JW. Critical thinking and clinical competence: Results of the implementation of student-centered teaching strategies in an advanced practice nurse curriculum. Journal of Nurse Education in Practice. 2007;7(1):53-59. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2006.08.003
- Yoo MR, Choi YJ, Kang MS. The effects of PBL (Problem-Based Learning) on the self-directed learning, critical thinking disposition, and problem solving process of nursing students. Journal of Korean Fundamentals of Nursing. 2009;16(1):46-55.
- Jang KS, Park SJ. Effects of action learning approaches on learning outcomes in nursing management courses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. 2012;18(4):442-451. http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.4.442 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.4.442
- Richards PS, Inglehart MR. An interdisciplinary approach to case-based teaching: Does it create patient-centered and culturally sensitive providers? Journal of Dental Education. 2006; 70(3):284-291.
- Kim HY, Kim HR. Effects of colonoscopy based simulation program on knowledge and clinical performance in nursing students. Journal of Korean Adult Nursing. 2015;27(2):135-145. https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2015.27.2.135
- Srinivasan M, Wilkes M, Stevenson F, Nguyen T, Slavin S. Comparing problem-based learning with case-based learning: Effects of major curricular shift at two institutions. Academic Medicine. 2010;82(1):74-82. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.ACM.0000249963.93776.aa
- Dietrich, JE, De Silva NK, Young AE. Reliability study for pediatric and adolescent gynecology case-based learning in resident education. Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology. 2010;23(2):102-106. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpag.2009.09.002
- SaraC L, Ok A. The effects of different instructional methods on students''acquisition and retention of cardiopulmonary resuscitation skills. Resuscitation. 2010;81(5):555-561. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2009.08.030
- Kim JA. Differences of problem solving ability, intrinsic motivation, and course satisfaction in nursing students with the application of case based learning. Journal of Korean Eductional Methodology Studies. 2015;27(1):21-37. http://dx.doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2015.17.1.78
- Yoo MS, Park JH, Lee SR. The effects of case-based learning using video on clinical decision making and learning motivation in undergraduate nursing students. Korean Society of Nursing Science. 2010;40(6):863-871. DOI: 10.4040/jkan.2010.40.6.863 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2010.40.6.863
- Jeong ME, Park HS. The effects of case-based learning on clinical decision making and nursing performance in undergraduate nursing student. Journal of Fundamentals of Nursing. 2015;22(3):308-317. http://dx.doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2015.22.3.308 https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2015.22.3.308
- Seo WS. An analysis of requisite knowledge body of physiology for nursing education. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing. 1995;2(2):229-237.
- Yoo JS, Ahn JA, Yeo KS, Chu SH. Study to reorganize the course of basic nursing science in a college of nursing. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science. 2008;10:162-169.
- Kim NH, Park JY, Jeon SE. The effects of case-based learning (CBL) on learning motivation and learning satisfaction of nursing students in a human physiology course. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science. 2015;17(1):78-87. http://dx.doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2015.17.1.78 https://doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2015.17.1.78
- Lim YT, Ryoo WY. Case-based learning, type of case organization, reasoning, reasoning ability quotient. Journal of Educational Information and Media. 2009;15(2):109-131.
- Facione NC, Facione PA, Sanchez CA. Critical thinking disposition as a measure of competent clinical judgment: The development of the california critical thinking disposition inventory. Journal of Nursing Education. 1994;33(8):345-350.
- Yun J. Development of an Instrument for the measurement of critical thinking disposition : In Nursing [dissertation]. Seoul: Catholic University; 2004. p.1-64
- Heppner PP, Krauskopf CJ. An information-processing approach to personal problem solving. Journal of The Counseling Psychologist. 1987;15(3):371-447. https://doi.org/10.1177/0011000087153001
- Lee SJ, Jang YK, Lee HN, Park GY. A Study on the development of life-skills: communication, problem solving, and self-directed learning. Final report. Seoul: Korean Educational Development Institute; 2003 Dec. Report No.: RR2003-15-03.
- Kim HS. Study on development and validation of comprehensive evaluation model for educational programs: Focused on u-learning pilot school programs [dissertation]. Seoul: Seoul University; 2004. p. 1-251
- Lee WS, Cho KC, Yang SH, Rho YS, Lee GY. Effects of problem-based learning combined with simulation on the basic nursing competency of nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing. 2009;16(1):64-72.
- Yoo JE. Misunderstandings and mis-applications on ANCOVA in educational studies. Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction. 2013;13(6):27-49.
- Sternberg RJ, editor. Thinking and problem solving: New York: Academic Press; 1994.
- O HK, Jeon EY. Effects of simulation based training using post-operating rehabilitation case on learning outcomes. Journal of Korean Rehabilitation Nursing. 2014;17(2):90-96. http://dx.doi.org/10.7587/kjrehn.2014.90 https://doi.org/10.7587/kjrehn.2014.90
- Yeh ML, Chen HH. Effect of educational program with intensive videodisc systems in improving critical thinking dispositions for RN-BSN students in Taiwan. International Journal of Nursing Studies. 2005;42(3):333-340. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2004.06.008 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2004.06.008
- Kim SO, Kim SM. Effects of the role play-based practice education on nursing students. Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society. 2015;17(5):2837-2848.
- Kruijver IP, Kerkstra A, Franche AL, Bensing JM, van de Wiel HB. Evaluation of communication training programs in nursing care: A review of literature. Patient Education Counseling. 2000;39(1):129-145. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0738-3991(99)00096-8 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0738-3991(99)00096-8
- Goh JK. The differences of stressors at grade and ways of coping in nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy on Communication in Healthcare. 2010;5(2):79-86.
- Baumberger-Henry M. Cooperative learning and case study: Does the combination improve student's perception of problem-solving and decision making skill? Nurse Education Today. 2016;25(3):238-246. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2005.01.010