- Volume 18 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of Hand Massage with Nail Art on Depression, Self-esteem, and Vital signs of Elderly Women living in a Nursing Home
손마사지를 병행한 네일아트가 시설 여성 노인의 우울, 자존감 및 활력증상에 미치는 효과
- Kim, Joo Hyun (Department of Nursing, Kangwon National University) ;
- Hyun, Hye Jin (Department of Nursing, Kangwon National University) ;
- Kang, So Yean (Department of Nursing, Kangwon National University) ;
- Nam, Hye Ri (Department of Nursing, Songgok College) ;
- Shin, Mi Jin (Department of Nursing, Kangwon National University) ;
- Lee, Hyun Jung (Gangneung Health Center) ;
- Chae, Young Ran (Department of Nursing, Kangwon National University)
- 김주현 (강원대학교 간호학과) ;
- 현혜진 (강원대학교 간호학과) ;
- 강소연 (강원대학교 간호학과) ;
- 남혜리 (송곡대학 간호과) ;
- 신미진 (강원대학교 간호학과) ;
- 이현정 (강릉시 보건소) ;
- 채영란 (강원대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2016.07.30
- Accepted : 2016.08.17
- Published : 2016.08.31
Purpose: The aim of this study was to examine the effects of hand massage with nail art on depression, self-esteem and vital signs of elderly women. Methods: The research design was one group pre and post test experimental design. Data were collected from December 7 to December 14, 2015. All participants had hand massage with nail art for 10 minutes. Depression, self-esteem and vital signs were measured before, immediately after the hand massage with nail art and one week later. Data were analyzed using descriptive statistics and repeated measures ANOVA with SPSS/Win 12.0 Program. Results: Depression (F=30.80, p<.001), self-esteem (F=60.02, p<.000), diastolic pressure (F=29.56, p<.001) and body temperature (F=13.87, p<.001) were significantly different compared to pre-study values. Systolic pressure (F=3.85, p=.059) and pulse rate (F=0.32, p=.576) had no significant difference compared to pre-study values. Conclusion: The findings of this research show that hand massage with nail art has positive effects on decreasing depression and improving self-esteem for senior women who chose nail polish colour by themselves.
- Statistics Korea. Elderly Statistics [Internet]. Seoul: Author; 2015 [cited 2016 May 30]. Available from: http://kostat.go.kr/portal/common/s019801/print.jsp.
- Oh HK, Kim KB, Lee KH, Suk SH. Effects of meridian exercise on health status, depression and self-esteem for institutionalized elderly people. The Korean Journal of Fundamentals of Nursing. 2002;9(3):388-397.
- Song MS, Kim NC. Effect of hand massage on fatigue, sleep satisfaction and blood pressure of the aged in a long-tern care facility. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Adult Nursing, 2009;21(2):179-186.
- Department of Health and Human Services. Senior Survey [Internet]. Seoul:Author;2011. [cited 2016 May 30]. Available from http://www.mw.go.kr/front_new/cm/cant_find.jsp
- Kim SM. The effects of aromatherapy and hand massage on anxiety, sleep, and depression in the female aged at residential facilities. Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing. 2009;20(4):493-502.
- Kim JJ. Elderly health problems, management and solutions. The Korean Nurse. 1989;28(2): 78-95.
- Miller J.F. Coping with chronic illness: overcoming powerlessness. 2rd ed. Philadelphia: F.A.Davis company; 1992. p. 398-410.
- Kim KB, Lee KH. A comparative study on family support, self-esteem, and health status between the institutionalized elderly people and the home-staying. East-West Nursing Research. 2000;5(1):36-49.
- Lee HJ. Effects of a beauty therapy program on cognitive, depression and emotional of demented elders. Journal of The Korea Society Beauty and Art. 2009;10(4):5-24.
- Kim YK, Kim JK. Study nail management as a component of Total Fashion [dissertation]. Busan: Busan Women University Journal; 1999. p. 105-115.
- Kim YH, Kim YC, Sakong JK. The effects of aroma hand massage on sleep and depression in hospitalized elderly patients. Journal of Society of Preventive Korean Medicine. 2009;13(3):73-85.
- Won SJ, Chae YR. The effects of aromatherapy massage on pain, sleep, and stride length in the elderly with knee osteoarthritis. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science. 2011;13(2):142-148.
- Lee JE, Lee YW, Kim HS. Effects of aroma hand massage on the stress response and sleep of elderly inpatients. The Korean Journal of Fundamentals of Nursing. 2011;18(4): 480-487.
- Oh JJ. The effect of hand massage on the relaxation of dementia patients. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2000;30(4):825-835. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2000.30.4.825
- Oh EJ, Jung JY, Choi KH. Effects of melancholia and self-respect to old females receiving beauty services. Journal of The Korean Society of Cosmetology. 2010;16(2):577-589.
- Kang H. Sample size determination for repeated measures design using G Power Software. Anesthesia and Pain Medicine. 2015;10(1):6-15. http://dx.doi.org/10.17085/apm.2015.10.1.6 https://doi.org/10.17085/apm.2015.10.1.6
- Gi BS. A preliminary study for the standardization of geriatric depression scale short form-Korea version. Journal of The Korean Neuropsychiatric Association. 1996;35(2): 298-307.
- Rosenberg M. Society and adolescent self-image. Princenton, NJ: Princeton University Press. 1965. p. 326.
- Jon BJ. Self-esteem: the test of its measurability. The collection of Treatis. [dissertation]. Seoul: Yonsei University; 1974. p. 107-129.
- Ji JH. The effects of a beauty therapy program on demented elders' cognitive function and mood change. Journal of The Korean Society of Cosmetology. 2012;18(2):383-390.
- Park SH. A study of the old person's beauty needs and beauty performance. Journal of the Korean Society of Cosmetology. 2006;12(2):62-70.
- Lee JC, Kim YR. The effect of beauty therapy on the self-esteem. Journal of The Korean Society of Cosmetology. 2010;6(1):57-62.
- Lee KR, RO HK. The nail care of some individual character. The Journal of Korea Beauty Design Society. 2006;2(1):63-68.
- Ko JM, Jang HH, An SK. The effect of proper treatment on abnormal nail conditions for the female's sentiment and self respect. Korean Journal of aesthetics and. Cosmetology. 2012;10(1):31-39.
- Oh YM, Jung HM. The effects of inhalation method using essential oils on the preoperative anxiety of hysterectomy patients. The Korean Journal of Rehabilitation Nursing. 2002;5(1):18-26.