- Volume 18 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of Horticultural Therapy for the Korean Elderly : A Systematic Literature Review
국내 노인에게 적용한 원예치료의 효과: 체계적 문헌고찰
- Kim, Joo-Hyun (Department of Nursing, Kangwon National University) ;
- Kwon, Sung-Bok (Department of Nursing, Dongshin University) ;
- Kim, Hyeon-Ju (Department of Nursing, Kangwon National University) ;
- Choi, Gyeong-Hye (Department of Nursing, Kangwon National University) ;
- Lee, Hyang-Mi (Korean Rural Community Corporation)
- Received : 2016.06.05
- Accepted : 2016.06.16
- Published : 2016.08.31
Purpose: This study was conducted to ascertain the effectiveness of horticultural therapy by analyzing researches on horticultural therapy applied to elderly Koreans. Methods: We evaluated 401 research papers including dissertations on horticultural therapy applied to elderly Koreans from Jan. 2000 to Feb. 2016. We reviewed the appropriate 12 papers among them for the final analysis. Results: Horticultural therapy had physiological and psychosocial effects. First of all, it showed the physiological effects of reducing stress hormones. Outdoor horticultural therapy improved the gross motor movements of the body. Indoor horticulture therapy improved delicate cognitive & operating functions. Second, horticultural therapy showed the psychosocial effects of reducing depression and improving cognitive functions, language abilities, comprehension, daily activity, life satisfaction and sociality. But the effects appeared differently dependent on the implementation protocol & period of horticultural therapy, as well as the professionalism of the therapists. Therefore, if horticultural therapy were to be administered through nursing, it should be based on its key principle, in other words, the principle of action-interaction-response of horticultural therapy. Conclusion: The results of this study will be useful for developing therapeutic interventions through nursing. Also they will be helpful in applying horticultural therapy programs in nursing practice.
- Shin WS. Understanding Volunteers' Motivations and Their Satisfactions: A Case Study of Forest Interpreters in Chungbuk Province. Journal of Korean Forest Society. 2006;95(2):188-193.
- Son KC. Horticultural therapy. The Korean Journal of Rehabilitation Psychology. 1999;6(1):25-44.
- Kang DK. The concepts, objectives and contents of general agricultural education. Journal of Agricultural Education and Human Resource Development. 1990;22(3):65-76.
- Kim JM. A research on consumer preference for a forest based Korean medical healing tourism product. Korean Journal of Environment and Ecology. 2012;26(3):463-471.
- Baik JA, Baek YH, Choi Y, Chiang MH. Basic study on horticultural therapeutic activity and therapeutic garden for older people. Journal of Women's Studies. 2010;25:167-182.
- Son KC. On horticultural therapy. Journal of Korean Society for Horticultural Science. 1997;2(3):3016-3022.
- Kwack BH, Suh JK, Kwack HR. Studies desirable for revealing typical features of horticultural therapy. Flower Research Journal. 1999;8(1):23-29.
- Han JS, Lee KS. Effects of the horticultural therapy on quality of life and depression in the institutionalized elderly. Journal of The Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. 2002;11(4):609-620.
- Park JM, Choi SS. Evaluation of physical and psychological effects of indoor and outdoor horticultural therapy programs developed for inactive elderly korean over 75 years of age. Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs. 2002:1-78.
- Kim HS, Han KH. A study on horticultural therapy of two person's group and sociality of demented older adults. Journal of Welfare for The Aged. 2004;25(fall):233-250.
- Gang MH. Effects of horticultural intervention program on cognition, emotion, communication, and problematic behavior in older adults with alzheimer [dissertation]. Daejeon: Chungnam National University; 2005. p. 1-145.
- Kim HY. Effect of horticultural therapy on life satisfaction of the elderly living alone. Journal of Agriculture & Life Science. 2007;41(4):19-23.
- Kim KS. Effect of horticultural therapy on the depression and functional rehabilitation in dementia [master's thesis]. Jeju: Tamla University; 2008. p. 1-104.
- Lim HJ, Kim KH, Kim JH. The effects of horticultural therapy on the depression, interpersonal relationships, and ADL of elderly people living in facilities. Journal of Welfare for the Aged. 2008;40(summer):125-146.
- Yun SY, Kim HY. Effect of the horticultural therapy on activities of daily living and cognitive function of demented old adults. Journal of Agriculture & Life Science. 2009a;43(5):27-32.
- Yun SY, Kim HY. Effect of the horticultural therapy on hand function of demented elders. Korean Journal of Horticultural Science & Technology. 2009b;27(4):673-677.
- Yun SY, Choi BJ. Effect of horticultural therapy on the stress and serum cortisol of demented elders. Korean Journal of Horticultural Science & Technology. 2010; 28(5):891-894.
- Kwon HS. Effects of horticultural therapy program on Life satisfaction in aged women at rural areas [master's thesis]. Seoul: Korea University; 2012. p. 1-100.
- Lim KO. Effect of horticultural therapy as a nursing intervention program on depression and self-esteem of the elderly living alone [master's thesis]. Jeonju: Jeonbuk University; 2015. p. 1-64.
- Jang EJ, Han GW, Hong JW, Yoon SE, Pak CH. Meta analysis of research papers on horticultural therapy program effect. Korean Journal of Horticultural Science Technology. 2010;28(4):701-707.
- Choi KH, Ahn JS, Kim HJ, Park YJ, Heo BG. Analysis of the understanding degree about the high frequency in use of a word. Journal of Korean Society for People Plants and Environment. 2008;11(4):73-82.
- Longer Nature-Based Rehabilitation May Contribute to a Faster Return to Work in Patients with Reactions to Severe Stress and/or Depression vol.14, pp.11, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph14111310