- Volume 18 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Factors Associated with Obstructive Sleep Apnea Risk in Patients with Metabolic Syndrome
대사증후군 대상자의 폐쇄성수면무호흡증 위험성 관련요인
- Kim, Jae Hee (Yonsei University, Severance Cardiovascular Hospital) ;
- Chu, Sang Hui (Department of Clinical Nursing Science, Yonsei University College of Nursing. Mo-Im Kim Nursing Research Institute, Yonsei University)
- Received : 2016.06.10
- Accepted : 2016.08.05
- Published : 2016.08.31
Purpose: This study was conducted to identify the factors associated with obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) risk in patients with metabolic syndrome (MS). Methods: Patients with MS between 30 and 74 years of age were recruited in an outpatient clinic of a cardiovascular center in Seoul, South Korea. MS and the risk of OSA were evaluated by Berlin questionnaire survey, the medical records of the participants were reviewed and a comprehensive lifestyle survey was performed. SPSS WIN 21.0 was used for statistical analysis. Results: BMI (OR: 1.31, CI: 1.14-1.51, p<.001) and lifestyle score (OR: 0.96, CI: 0.93-0.99, p=.028) were associated with the risk of OSA. Physical activity, weight control and diet were specifically associated with the risk of OSA after controlling for age, gender and BMI. Conclusion: This study demonstrated that lifestyle was an important factor associated with OSA risk in patients with MS.
- Yoon DW, Kim JK, Shin C. Epidemiology and Etiology of Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Korean Journal of Medicine. 2015;89(1):6-12. https://doi.org/10.3904/kjm.2015.89.1.6
- Franklin KA, Lindberg E. Obstructive sleep apnea is a common disorder in the population-a review on the epidemiology of sleep apnea. Journal of Thoracic Disease. 2015;7(8):1311-1322. http://dx.doi.org/10.3978/j.issn.2072-1439.2015.06.11 https://doi.org/10.3978/j.issn.2072-1439.2015.06.11
- Kostopoulos K, Alhanatis E, Pampoukas K, Georgiopoulos G, Zourla A, Panoutsopoulos A, et al. CPAP therapy induces favorable short-term changes in epicardial fat thickness and vascular and metabolic markers in apparently healthy subjects with obstructive sleep apnea-hypopnea syndrome (OSAHS). Sleep and Breathing. 2016;20(2):483-493. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11325-015-1236-5 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11325-015-1236-5
- Kim JK, In KH, Kim JH, You SH, Kang KO, Shim JJ, et al. Prevalence of sleep-disordered. breathing in middle-aged Korean men and women. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine. 2004;170(1):1108-1113. https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.200404-519OC
- Drager LF, Togeiro SM, Polotsky VY, Lorenzi-Filho G. Obstructive sleep apnea: a cardiometabolic risk in obesity and the metabolic syndrome. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2013;62(7):569-576. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2013.05.045 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2013.05.045
- Suh YS, Kim DH, An BH, Cho YW. Cardiovascular disease risk in male obstructive sleep apnea patients. Korean Journal of Health Promotion. 2006;6(3):177-185.
- Barreiro B, Garcia L, Lozano L, Almagro P, Quintana S, Alsina M, et al. Obstructive sleep apnea and metabolic syndrome in spanish population. Open Respiratory Medicine Journal. 2013;(18)7:71-76. http://dx.doi.org/10.2174/1874306401307010071 https://doi.org/10.2174/1874306401307010071
- Xu S, Wan Y, Xu M, Ming J, Xing Y, An F, et al. The association between obstructive sleep apnea and metabolic syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BioMed Central Pulmonary Medicine. 2015;15(105). http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s12890-015-0102-3 https://doi.org/10.1186/s12874-015-0098-7
- Rogers A, Ravene J, Donat M, Sexias A, Ogedegbe C, et al. Predictors of Obstructive Sleep Apnea Risk among Blacks with Metabolic Syndrome. Journal of Obesity and Overweight. 2015;1(1):1104-1112.
- Aykan AC, Gul I, Kalaycioglu E, Gokdeniz T, Hatem E, Mentese U, et al. Is metabolic syndrome related with coronary artery disease severity and complexity: An observational study about IDF and AHA/NHLBI metabolic syndrome definitions. Cardiology Journal. 2014;21(3):245-251. http://dx.doi.org/10.5603/CJ.a2013.0126 https://doi.org/10.5603/CJ.a2013.0126
- Lee S, Park HS, Kim SM, Kwon HS, Kim DY, Kim DJ, et al. Cutoff points of waist circumference for defining abdominal obesity in the Korean population. Korean Journal of Obesity. 2006;15(1):1-9.
- Nikolaus C, Netzer MD, Riccardo A, Stoohs MD, Cordula M. Using the Berlin Questionnaire To Identify Patients at Risk for the Sleep Apnea Syndrome. Annals of Internal Medicine. 1999;131(7):485-491.
- Kang KH, Park KS, Kim JE, Kim JW, Kim YT, Kim JS. et al. Usefulness of the Berlin Questionnaire to identify patientsat high risk for obstructive sleep apnea: a population-based door-to-door study. Sleep Breath. 2013;17(8):803-810. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11325-012-0767-2 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11325-012-0767-2
- Sohn SI, Kim DH, Lee MY, Cho YW. The reliability and validity of the Korean version of the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index. Sleep and Breathing. 2012;16(3):803-812. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11325-011-0579-9 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11325-011-0579-9
- D'Agostino RB, Vasan RS, Pencina MJ. General Cardiovascular Risk Profile for Use in Primary Care. The Framingham Heart Study. Circulation. 2008;117(6):743-753. http://dx.doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.107.699579 https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.107.699579
- Kang SW. The Validity and Reliability of a Lifestyle Evaluation Tool for Patients with Metabolic Syndrome. The Korean journal of fundamentals of nursing. 2010;17(4):487-497.
- Jackson JH, Sobolski J, Krienke R, Wong KS, Frech-Tamas F, Nightengale B. Blood pressure control and pharmacotherapy patterns in the United States before and after the release of the Joint National Committee on the Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure (JNC 7) guidelines. Journal of the American Board Family Medicine. 2008;21(6):512-21. http://dx.doi.org/10.3122/journal.pone.0125615 https://doi.org/10.3122/jabfm.2008.06.080025
- Park SY, Park YK, Cho KH, Choi HJ, Han JH, Han KD, et al. Normal range albuminuria and metabolic syndrome in South Korea: the 2011-2012 Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. A Peer-Reviewed, Open Access Journal. 2015;10(5):e0125615. http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0125615 https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0125615
- Peppard PE, Young T, Barnet JH, Palta M, Hagen EW, Hla KM. Increased prevalence of sleep-disordered breathing in adults. American Journal of Epidemiology. 2013;177(9):1006-1014. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/aje/kws342 https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kws342
- Lee JY, Kim SJ, Lee JH, Jung DU. Characteristics of obstructive sleep apnea syndrome patients proven with nocturnal polysomnography as correlates of age and gender. Sleep medicine and psychophysiology. 2009;16(2):65-73.
- Kang SG, Shin SH, Lee YJ, Jung JH, Park IS, Kim PC, et al. The effect of physical characteristics on sleep disturbance and cardiovascular complications in obstructive sleep apnea patients. The Preliminary Study. Korean Journal of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Sur. 2015;58(11):759-763. https://doi.org/10.3342/kjorl-hns.2015.58.11.759
- Kong HW, Lee HJ, Choi YS, Na JH, Ha CK, Hwang DW, et al. Clinical predictors of obstructive sleep apnea. korean neurology association. 2005;23(3):324-329.
- Ciccone MM, Scicchitano P, Zito A, Cortese F, Boninfante B, Falcone VA, et al. Correlation between inflammatory markers of atherosclerosis and carotid intima-media thickness in Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Molecules. 2014;19(2):1651-1662. http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/molecules19021651 https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules19021651
- Pedrosa RP, Barros IM, Drager LF, Bittencourt MS, Medeiros AK, Carvalho LL, et al. OSA is common and independently associated with hypertension and increased arterial stiffness in consecutive perimenopausal women. Chest Journal. 2014;146(1):66-72. http://dx.doi.org/10.1378/chest.14-0097 https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.14-0097
- Xiao Y, Han D, Zang H, Wang D. The effectiveness of nasal surgery on psychological symptoms in patients with obstructive sleep apnea and nasal obstruction. Acta Oto-laryngologica. 2016;136(6):626-632. http://dx.doi.org/10.3109/00016489.2016.1143120 https://doi.org/10.3109/00016489.2016.1143120
- Han KH, Soh MA, Ha JH, Ryu SH, Yu JH, Park DH. The Correlation between Severity of Sleep Apnea, Sleep and Mood Related Scales, and Activity During Sleep in Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome Patients. Sleep medicine and psychophysiology. 2011;18(2):76-81.
- Yoon CH, Kim SH, Ji KW, Kim IG, Ha CK. Impact of Obstructive Sleep Apnea on Carotid Intima-Media Thickness. Journal of the Korea Neurology association. 2009:27(2):129-135.
- Mendelson M, Lyons OD, Yadollahi A, Inami T, Oh P, Bradley TD. Effects of exercise training on sleep apnoea in patients with coronary artery disease: a randomised trial. European Respiratory Journal. 2016;48(1):142-150. http://dx.doi.org/10.1183/13993003.01897 https://doi.org/10.1183/13993003.01897-2015
- Maki-Nunes C, Toschi-Dias E, Cepeda FX, Rondon MU, Alves MJ, Fraga RF, et al. Diet and exercise improve chemoreflex sensitivity in patients with metabolic syndrome and obstructive sleep apnea. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2015;23(8):1582-1590. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/oby.21126 https://doi.org/10.1002/oby.21126