- Volume 18 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Study on Physiological Index, Anxiety and Depression by the Severity of Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms in Patients with Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia
전립선비대증 환자의 하부요로증상의 중증도에 따른 생리학적 지수 및 불안, 우울
- Kim, Jung Kyoun (Department of Nursing, Munkyung College) ;
- Kim, Jin Bum (Department of Urology, Konyang University) ;
- Song, Min Sun (Department of Nursing, Konyang University)
- Received : 2016.06.29
- Accepted : 2016.08.05
- Published : 2016.08.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to investigate the physiological index, anxiety and depression by the severity of lower urinary tract symptoms in patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia. Methods: This research was conducted from the 4th to the 27th of May in 2016 on112 patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia. The data were analyzed using a chi-square test, ANOVA, and Pearson Correlation Coefficients. Results: The results demonstrated a difference depending on the dysuria period of each lower urinary tract symptom, marital status, occupation and perceived health state of the patient. The physiological index by lower urinary tract symptoms showed a difference in the maximum flow rate, amount of post-void residual urine and Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA), and anxiety and depression factors also revealed a difference. Lower urinary tract symptoms showed a positive correlation to the amount of post voided residual urine and PSA, a negative correlation to the maximum flow rate and also indicated a positive correlation to depression. Conclusion: The results of the study belonging to the moderate and severe categories were high when the result was based on the categorization of subjects with benign prostatic hyperplasia with lower urinary tract symptoms. Considering that depression levels increase as the symptom intensifies and the anxiety score is also high with mild symptoms, psychological support intervention is needed when a pattern of benign prostatic hyperplasia appears.
- Lee AG, Cho SY, Cho IR. Comparison of prostate-specific antigen reduction after performing transurethral resection of the prostate according to a preoperative prostate-specific antigen value of 4ng/ml. The World Journal of Men's Health. 2010;28(3):184-189.
- Lee JG. Pathophysiology of male lower urinary tract symptoms. Journal of Korean Academy of Urology. 2005;46(9):887-896.
- Branch LG, Walker LA, Wetle TT, Dubeau CE, Resnick NM. Urinary incontinence knowledge among community dwelling people 65 years of age and older. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 1994;42:1257-1262. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.1994.tb06507.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.1994.tb06507.x
- Heidrich SM, Wells TJ. Effects of urinary incontinence: Psychological well-being and distress in older community-dwelling women. Journal of Gerontological Nursing. 2004;30(5):47-54. http://dx.doi.org/10.3928/0098-9134-20040501-10 https://doi.org/10.3928/0098-9134-20040501-10
- Kim DH, Kwon HY. Clinical characteristics of frequency-anxiety syndrome. Journal of Korean Academy of Urology. 2001;42(8):858-863.
- Welch G, Weinger K, Berry MJ. Quality of life impact of lower urinary tract symptom severity: Results from the health professionals follow-up study. Urology. 2002;59(2): 245-250. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/s0090-4295(01)01506-0 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0090-4295(01)01506-0
- Wong SY, Hong A, Leung J, Kwok T, Leung PC, Woo J. Lower urinary tract symptoms and depressive symptoms in the elderly men. Journal of Affective Disorders. 2006;96(1-2):83-88. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2006.05.013 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2006.05.013
- Kim JS, Moon VN. Factors influencing health-related quality of life in patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2010;40(2):287-297. http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2010.40.2.287 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2010.40.2.287
- Oh KH, Ku JH, Park YH. Impact of lower urinary tract symptom on quality of life in young men. Korean Journal of Urology. 2002;43(5):402-406.
- Seo YM. Lower urinary tract symptoms, self-management and quality of life in middle aged men. Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing. 2010;21(3): 303-310. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2010.21.3.303
- Yang JJ, Kim SJ, Shin KY, Park HY, Kim YS, Lee TY. A study of correlations among international prostate symptom score(IPSS), volume of total and transition zone of prostate measured by transrectal ultrasonography, serum PSA level in benign prostatic hyperplasia. Korean Journal of Urology. 1997;38(7):731-737.
- Cho JS, Kim CI, Seong DH, Kim HS, Kim YS, Kim SJ, et al. Relationship between serum prostate-specific antigen and prostate volume in men with benign prostatic hyperplasia from multicenter study. Korean Journal of Urology. 2005;46(8):792-798.
- Faul F, Erdfelder E, Lang AG, Buchner A. G*Power 3: a flexible statistical ower analysis program for the social, behavior, and biomedical sciences. Behavior Research Methods. 2007;39(2):175-191. http://dx.doi.org/10.3758/bf03193146 https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146
- Choi HR, Chung WS, Shim BS, Kwon SW, Hong SJ, Chung BH. Translation validity and reliability of IPSS Korean version. Korean Journal of Urology. 1996;37(6):59-65.
- Kim CS. Benign prostatic hyperplasia. Journal of Korean Medical Association. 2007;50(7): 626-636. https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2007.50.7.626
- Min KJ. Oh SM, Park DB. A study on the standardization of the hospital anxiety and depression scale for Koreans. Journal of Korean Neuropsychiatric Association. 1999;23(2):289-296.
- Scarpa RM. Lower urinary tract symptoms: what are the implications for the patients. European Urology. 2001;40(4):12-20. http://dx.doi.org/10.1159/000049890 https://doi.org/10.1159/000049890
- Lee NR, Kim KH, Kwak YH, Kim YJ. Effects of the symptoms, anxiety, and depression on the quality of sleep of benign prostate hyperplasia patients. Journal of Korean Academy Contents Association. 2015;15(1):338-349. http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.01.338 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.01.338
- Shim EH. Impact of lower urinary tract symptoms on quality of life in community-based elderly men [master's thesis]. Seoul: Seoul National University; 2002. p. 1-70.
- Mun VN. Lower urinary tract symptoms and health-related quality of life in patients with benign prostate hyperplasia [master's thesis]. Kwangju: Chonnam National University; 2009. p. 1-60.
- Elhilali M, Emberton M, Matzkin H, Van Moorselaar RJA, Hartung R, Harving, N. et al. Long-term efficacy and safety of alfuzosin 10mg once daily: a 2-year experience in 'real-life' practice. BJU International. 2005;97(3):513-519. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1464-410x.2005.05962.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1464-410x.2005.05962.x
- Song HJ. Factors associated with lower urinary tract symptoms in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science. 2015;17(1):71-77. http://dx.doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2015.17.1.71 https://doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2015.17.1.71
- Chang SJ. A study on factors affecting health-related quality of life of the BPH patients [master's thesis]. Busan: Dong-A University; 2006. p. 1-47.
- Hunter DJW, Mckee M, Black NM, Sanderson CFB. Health status and quality of life of British men with lower urinary tract symptoms: result from the SF-36. Urology. 1995;45(6):962-971. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/s0090-4295(99)80116-2 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0090-4295(99)80116-2
- Shin MK, Kang JS. Factors affecting physical symptoms of elders. Journal of Korean Academy of Adult Nursing. 2010;22(2):211-220.