- Volume 16 Issue 4
This study aimed at comprehending the duty, role, and difficulty of intermediary manager through in-depth investigation of dental hygienist intermediary managers experienced over 10 years working in a dental clinic. In-depth interviews were conducted with 10 dental intermediary managers and Giorgi's analysis method was used to analyze the data. Findings revealed that the work experience of the dental hygienist intermediary managers appeared in the range of "becoming an intermediary manager through various processes", "various duties that they experience as an intermediary manager", "difficulty as an intermediary manager", "ability that they perceive as necessary for being a dental intermediary manager", and "worthiness they feel as the intermediary manager". The dental intermediary managers complained of difficulties at work, and appeared to perform various tasks such as human resource management, clinic management support, and patient's management. Accordingly, the researcher considers that research on dental intermediary managers' capacity development necessary.
Dental hygienists;Experiences;Intermediary manager
- Han MS: Influence of the quality of dental care service to customer satisfaction, service value, and purchase intention. Unpublished master's thesis, Chungnam National University, Daejeon, 2009.
- Kim YJ, Han GS: Relationships among emotional leadership, commitment, patient orientation, and job performance in dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 15: 551-559, 2015. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.5.551
- Lee CS, Lim SH, Han JH: The effect of the intramural marketing activities in dental hygienist' on job satisfaction and turnover intention in dental hygienist. J Dent Hyg Sci 12: 15-22, 2012.
- Shin SH: A study on empowerment of the clinical dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 10: 185-190, 2010.
- Park JH, Choi IO: A study on the effect of influence tactics used by a middle manager on a managerial effectiveness. J Korean Acad Assoc Bus Adm 28: 781-803, 2015.
- Park GS: Confirmatory factor analysis of the middle manager's coaching skill scale and the concurrent validity. Korea Assoc Org Stud 10: 77-105, 2013.
- Park YN, Park KJ, Oh SH, Kim SH: Dental office manager current conditions by scale of Korean dental clinic. Korea Contents Assoc 10: 267-273, 2010.
- Kim GY, Chung WG: Impact of human resource management and development on turnover intention of dental hygienist in Korean dental settings-focusing on the moderating effect of career commitment. J Korea Acad Dent Health 34: 505-515, 2010.
- Lee HJ, Kim SJ, Kim YS, Jeon JK, Chang KW: Relationship between job competency, core self-evaluation, and job performance in dental hygienists. J Korea Acad Dent Health 37: 161-166, 2013. https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2013.37.3.161
- Kim YS: Relationship of between dental hygienist's competence and patients' satisfaction, revisit, and recommendation intent. Korean Acad Dent Hyg 13: 299-310, 2011.
- Bae EJ: Research on role and job satisfaction of dental hygienists as middle managers of dental hospitals: based on Mir Dental Hospital network. Unpublished master's thesis, Keimyung University, Daegu, 2008.
- Kim SS: The experiences in long-term care hospital as a nurse. Unpublished master's thesis, Dong-A University, Busan, 2014.
- Benner P: From novice to expert excellence and power in clinical nursing practice. Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Menlo Park, p.307, 1984.
- Patton MQ: Qualitative evaluation and research methods. 2nd ed. Sage, Newbury Park, p.532, 1990.
- Giorgi A: The theory, practice, and evaluation of the phenomenological method as a qualitative research procedure. J Phenomen Psychol 28: 235-260, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1163/156916297X00103
- Lee NI: Phenomenology and qualitative research. Hangilsa, Paju, pp.35-38, 2014.
- Bae SS, Kim SK, No HJ, et al.: Study on dental hygienist clinical organizational structure standardization. Korean Dental Hygienists Association, Seoul, 2015.
- Astley WG, Van de Ven AH: Central perspectives and debates in organization theory. Adm Sci Quart 28: 245-273, 1983. https://doi.org/10.2307/2392620
- Jeong SR, Jang JE: The correlation between conflict level within the organization and job satisfaction of the dental hygienist. J Dent Hyg Sci 15: 38-45, 2015. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.1.38
- McColl-Kennedy JR, Anderson RD: Subordinate-manager gender combination and perceived leadership style influence on emotions, self-esteem and organizational commitment. J Bus Res 58: 115-125, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0148-2963(03)00112-7