- Volume 42 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Bacterial Diversity in Water from the Han River Water Source Protection Area via a Pyrosequencing Assay
파이로시퀀싱을 이용한 한강상수원보호구역 수계 중의 세균 다양성
- Kim, Heejung (School of Earth and Environmental Sciences, Seoul National University) ;
- Kaown, Dugin (School of Earth and Environmental Sciences, Seoul National University) ;
- Kim, Changsoo (Water Supply & Sewerage Research Division, National Institute of Environmental Research) ;
- Lee, Siwon (Water Supply & Sewerage Research Division, National Institute of Environmental Research)
- Received : 2016.07.22
- Accepted : 2016.08.16
- Published : 2016.08.31
Objectives: We investigated bacterial diversity in the Han River water resource protection area in order to provide basic microbiological information on the drinking water safety of the Seoul metropolitan region. Methods: Samples were collected in the spring and winter, but not during the rainy season. Pyrosequencing, gene amplification, and extraction of nucleic acids were employed in this study. Results: In total, 57 and 48 operational taxonomic units were respectively analyzed in samples collected during spring and winter. Proteobacteria were predominant in all samples. The samples contained phylogenetically diverse bacterial communities, with eleven major phyla and 36 genera. Cyanobacteria were predominant in the spring samples, but not in the winter samples. The predominant species in the samples collected during both seasons belonged to the genus Aquamicrobium and Bradyrhizobium. Moreover, no pathogenic bacteria were detected in the samples. Conclusion: Proteobacteria were predominant in the samples from the Han River water source protection area. Cyanobacteria were more predominant in the spring samples than in the winter samples, but Aquamicrobium and Bradyrhizobium were predominant in both sampling seasons.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Kim JH. A study of sustainable and efficient management of water resource protection zones. [dissertation]. [Wonju]: Yonsei University; 2010
- Yang JY. The study on management improvement of regulatory system in Phal-dang water source protection area. [dissertation]. [Seoul]: University of Seoul; 2009
- Lee SH, Kim MH. A study on water quality pollution level of water supply source protection area in medium and small towns. J Kor Soc Environ Admin. 2008; 14(3): 123-132.
- Jung HM, Yoon JY. The opinion with microbiological standard of American drinking water. J Kor Soc Water wastewater. 1994; 10: 62-71.
- Pipes WO. An overview of drinking water microbiology. J Kor Soc Environ Eng. 1996; 18(7): 793-804.
- Park HK, Jung EY, Jung JM, Yu PJ. Detection and distribution of bacterial pathogens in raw water and during water treatment process by polymerase chain reaction. J Life Sci. 2007; 17(10): 1374-1380. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2007.17.10.1374
- Hong PY, Hwang C, Ling F, Andersen GL, LeChevallier MW, Liu WT. Pyrosequencing analysis of bacterial biofilm communities in water meters of a drinking water distribution system. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2010; 76(16): 5631-5635. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.00281-10
- Ascota-Martinez V, Dowd SE, Sun Y, Wester D, Allen V. Pyrosequencing analysis for characterization of soil bacterial populations as affected by an integrated livestock-cotton production system. Appl Soil Ecol. 2010; 45: 13-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsoil.2010.01.005
- Bowers RM, Lauber CL, Wiedinmyer C, Hamady M, Hallar AG, Fall R, et al. Characterization of airborne microbial communities at a high-elevation site and their potential to act as atmospheric ice nuclei. Appl Environ microbiol. 2009; 75(15): 5121-5130. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.00447-09
- Lee S, Chung HM, Park ER. Characteristics of bacteria in the living room and bathroom of a residential environment using the pyrosequencing method. Microbiol Biotechnol. 2016; 44(1): 84-88.
- Kaevska M, Slana I. Comparison of filtering methods, filter processing and DNA extraction kits for detection of mycobacteria in water. Ann Aqric Environ Med. 2015; 22(3): 429-432. https://doi.org/10.5604/12321966.1167707
- Lee SW, Oh HW, Lee KH, Ahn TY. Methylobacterium dankookense sp. nov., isolate from drinking water. J Microbiol. 2009; 47(6): 716-720. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12275-009-0126-6
- Bambauer A, Rainey FA, Stackebrandt E, Winter J. Characterization of Aquamicrobium defluvii gen. nov. sp. nov., a thiophene-2-carboxylate-metabolizing bacterium from activated sludge. Arch Microbiol. 1998; 169(4): 293-302. https://doi.org/10.1007/s002030050575
- Lipski A, Kampfer P. Aquamicrobium ahrensii sp. nov. and Aquamicrobium segne sp. nov., isolated from experimental biofilters. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2012; 62(10): 2511-2516. https://doi.org/10.1099/ijs.0.038224-0
- LPSN. List of prokaryotic names with standing in nomenclature, Genus Aquamicrobium. Available: http://www.bacterio.net/Aquamicrobium.html [accessed 7 July 2016].
- National Institute of Environmental Reasearch. Study on the microorganisms of bioaerosol for surroundings (I-II). 2014-2015
- LPSN. Genus Methylotenera. Available: http://www.bacterio.net/Methylotenera.html [accessed 7 July 2016].
- LPSN. Genus Variovorax. Available: http://www.bacterio.net/Variovorax.html [accessed 7 July 2016].
- LPSN. Genus Pseudomonas. Available: http://www.bacterio.net/Pseudomonas.html [accessed 7 July 2016].
- LPSN. Genus Ferribacterium. Available: http://www.bacterio.net/Ferribacterium.html [accessed 7 July 2016].
- Lee S, Kim JH, Lee BR, Joo YL, Choe B, Park SJ, et al. Isolation and identification of Pseudomonas aeruginosa in natural environments by international organization for standardization ISO/NP 16266. Kor J Microbiol. 2014; 50(4): 384-386. https://doi.org/10.7845/kjm.2014.4068
- Composition of Groundwater Bacterial Communities before and after Air Surging in a Groundwater Heat Pump System According to a Pyrosequencing Assay vol.9, pp.11, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/w9110891