- Volume 42 Issue 4
Objectives: This study evaluated the odor emission characteristics from fundamental environmental facilities at an industrial complex area in Daegu City. Methods: The odor samples were collected from May 2015 to January 2016 and were analyzed for specified offensive odor substances. The odor quotient and the odor contribution was calculated. Results: Ammonia was detected in all samples monitoring specified odor compounds, followed by hydrogen sulfide and acetaldehyde. According to contribution analysis, hydrogen sulfide shows the highest contribution in all facilities. At wastewater treatment plants A and B and sewage treatment plant F, it was followed by acetaldehyde. At wastewater treatment plant C, it was followed by imethyl sulfide. Conclusion: The major component of odor can be determined by evaluating the degree of contribution to the odor intensity rather than the concentration of the individual odor components. To increase the effectiveness of odor reduction, policies focused on materials with a high odor contribution are needed rather than focusing on high-concentration odor compounds.
Contribution;environment fundamental facilities;major odor compounds;odor quotient
- Ministry of Environment. Odor prevention law; 2015.
- National Institute of Environmental Research. A research on the odorous element and odorous source; 2006.
Doh SH, Choi SW. A Evaluation of the Odor Potential Indexing with
$VOC_s$emitted from the West Daegu and Dyeing Industrial Complexes. Journal of Nakdonggang Environmental Research Institute. 2010; 14(1): 345-362.
- Ministry of Environment. The Korea odor standard test method; 2014.
- Ministry of Environment. Odor management manual; 2012.
- Chung GH, Kim ST, Park MS, Chung JH. A survey on the odor emission characteristics in a sewage treatment plant. Korean Journal of Odor Research and Engineering. 2004; 3(4): 225-233.
- Ministry of Environment. The minium sensing concentration of major chemicals; 2005.
- Jeon JM, Seo YS, Jeong MH, Lee HS, Lee MD, Han JS, et al. The emission characteristics of odor compounds from environment fundamental facilities. Korean Journal of Odor Research and Engineering. 2010; 9(2): 80-89.
- Park GH. Emission characteristics and controls of odor materials from environmental facilities, [dissertation]. [Gwangju]: Chonnam National University; 2007.
- Ministry of Environment. Odor management manual for various facility(II); 2009.
- Yoo SS, Kim YD, Lee JY, Cha YS, Kim ES, Jeon JS, et al. The characteristic and management of odor emitted foodwaste treatment facility. Environmental impact assessment. 2012; 21(3): 353-365.
- Ministry of Environment. Odor management Study; 2015.
- Jung JE, Song BJ, Jung SR. Removal of malodorous compounds from foodwaste treatment processing(II). Rep. Busan Inst. Health & Environ. 2003; 13: 17-47.
- Park SY, Kim KH. A comparative study of odors between air dilution sensory test and instrumental detection method using industrial and food waste samples. Journal of Korean Society for Atmospheric Environment. 2007; 23(4): 420-429. https://doi.org/10.5572/KOSAE.2007.23.4.420
연구 과제 주관 기관 : 환경부