- Volume 29 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Effects of Octacosanol Extracted from Rice Bran on the Laying Performance, Egg Quality and Blood Metabolites of Laying Hens
- Peng, Kai (College of Engineering, China Agricultural University) ;
- Long, Lei (College of Engineering, China Agricultural University) ;
- Wang, Yuxi (Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Lethbridge Research and Development Centre) ;
- Wang, Shunxi (College of Engineering, China Agricultural University)
- Received : 2016.04.12
- Accepted : 2016.05.30
- Published : 2016.10.01
A 42-d study with 384 Hy-line brown laying hens was conducted to assess the effects of dietary octacosanol supplementation on laying performance, egg quality and blood metabolites of laying hens. Hens were randomly allocated into 4 dietary groups of 8 cages each, which were fed basal diet supplemented with 0 (Control), 9 (OCT9), 18 (OCT18), and 27 (OCT27) mg/kg diet of octacosanol isolated from rice bran, respectively. The experiment was conducted in an environmental controlled house and hens were fed twice daily for ad libitum intake. Laying performance was determined over the 42-d period, and egg quality as well as blood metabolites were estimated on d 21 and d 42. Diets in OCT18 and OCT27 increased (p<0.05) laying rate, egg weight, egg mass, egg albumen height, Haugh unit and eggshell strength on d 42, but decreased (p<0.05) feed conversion rate and levels of total cholesterol, triglyceride and low density lipoprotein cholesterol in the serum as compared to those of Control. Feed intake, yolk color, yolk diameter, eggshell thickness and high density lipoprotein cholesterol were similar (p>0.05) among treatments. Results demonstrate that supplementing 18 to 27 mg/kg diet of rice bran octacosanol can improve laying rate and egg quality and reduce blood lipid of laying hens.
Octacosanol;Laying Performance;Egg Quality;Blood Metabolites;Laying Hens
- Braithwaite, G. D. 1975. The effect of growth hormone on calcium metabolism in the sheep. Br. J. Nutr. 33:309-314. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19750036
- Carbajal, D., V. Molina, S. Valdes, L. Arruzazbala, and R. Mas. 1995. Anti-ulcer activity of higher primary alcohols of beeswax. J. Pharm. Pharmacol. 47:731-733. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2042-7158.1995.tb06732.x
- Castano, G., R. Mas, M. L. Arruzazabala, M. Noa, J. Illnait, J. C. Fernandez, V. Molina, and A. Menendez. 1999. Effects of policosanol and pravastatin on lipid profile, platelet aggregation and endothelemia in older hypercholesterolemic patients. Int. J. Clin. Pharmacol. Res. 19:105-116.
- Castano, G., R. Menendez, R. Mas, A. Amor, J. L. Fernandez, R. L. Gonzalez, M. Lezcay, and E. Alvarez. 2002. Effect of policosanol and lovastatin on lipid profile and lipid peroxidation in patients with dyslipidemia associated with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Int. J. Clin. Pharmacol. Res. 22:89-99.
- Chen, F., G. H. Zhao, T. Y. Cai, Q. J. Feng, and M. R. Pei. 2007. Effect of octacosanol on the behavior and neuroendocrine index of rat forced by cold water swimming. Acta Nutrimenta Sinica 29:408-410.
- Dai, L., L. Y. Gu, Zhu, Q. M., S. Zhu, A. T. Zhang, X. T. Zou, and C. H. Hu. 2012. Dietary valine level affects performance, egg quality and serum biochemical indices in laying hens. Chin. J. Anim. Nutr. 24:654-660.
- Gordon, R. W. and D. A. Roland Sr. 1998. Influence of supplemental phytase on calcium and phosphorus utilization in laying hens. Poult. Sci. 77:290-294. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/77.2.290
- AOAC (Association of Official Analytical Chemists). 2001. Official Methods of Analysis, 17th edn. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC, USA.
- Arruzazabala, M. L., D. Carbajal, R. Mas, V. Molina, S. Valdes, and A. Laguna. 1994. Cholesterol-lowering effects of policosanol in rabbits. Biol. Res. 27:205-208.
- Hernandez, F., J. Illnait, R. Mas, G. Castano, L. Fernandez, M. Gonzalez, N. Cordovi, and J. C. Fernandez. 1992. Effect of policosanol on serum lipids and lipoproteins in healthy volunteers. Curr. Ther. Res. 51:568-575.
- Kabir, Y. and S. Kimura. 1993. Biodistribution and metabolism of orally administered octacosanol in rats. Ann. Nutr. Metab. 37:33-38. https://doi.org/10.1159/000177746
- Kabir, Y. and S. Kimura. 1994. Distribution of radioactive octacosanol in response to exercise in rats. Mol. Nutr. Food Res. 38:373-377.
- Kahlenberg, O. J. 1949. A quick and reliable gauge of yolk color. Food Ind. 21:467-470.
- Kato, S., K. I. Karino, S. Hasegawa, J. Nagasawa, A. Nagasaki, M. Eguchi, T. Ichinose, K. Tago, H. Okumori, K. Hamatani, M. Takahashi, J. Ogasawara, and S. Masushige. 1995. Octacosanol affects lipid metabolism in rats fed on a high fat diet. Br. J. Nutr. 73:433-441. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19950045
- Loh, T. C., D. W. Choe, H. L. Foo, A. Q. Sazili, and M. H. Bejo. 2014. Effects of feeding different postbiotic metabolite combinations produced by Lactobacillus plantarumstrains on egg quality and production performance, faecal parameters and plasma cholesterol in laying hens. BMC Vet. Res. 10:149. https://doi.org/10.1186/1746-6148-10-149
- Long, L. 2014. The Development and Application Effect Study of Octacosanol as a New Feed Additive. Ph. D. Thesis, China Agricultural University, Beijing, China.
- Long, L., M. Z. Gao, K. Peng, J. Sun, and S. X. Wang. 2015a. Effects of octacosanol extracted from rice bran on production performance and blood parameters in weanling piglets. J. Chin. Cereal Oil. Assoc. 30:94-100.
- Long, L., S. G. Wu, J. Sun, J. Wang, H. J. Zhang, and G. H. Qi. 2015b. Effects of octacosanol extracted from rice bran on blood hormone levels and gene expressions of glucose transporter protein-4 and adenosine monophosphate protein kinase in weaning piglets. Anim. Nutr. 1:293-298. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aninu.2015.12.005
- Mas, R., G. Castano, J. Femandez, R. Gamez, J. Illnait, L. Fernandez, E. Lopez, M. Measa, E. Alvarez, and S. Mendoza. 2004. Long term effects of policosanol on obese patients with type II hypercholesterolemia. Asia Pac. J. Clin. Nutr. 13:S102.
- NRC (National Research Council). 1994. Nutrient Requirements of Poultry, 9th edn. National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA.
- Pons, P., A. Jimenez, M. Rodriguez, J. Illnait, R. Mas, L. Fernandez, and J. C. Fernandez. 1993. Effects of policosanol in elderly hypercholesterolemic patients. Curr. Ther. Res. 53:265-269. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0011-393X(05)80784-2
- Saint, J. M. and L. McNaughton. 1986. Octacosanol ingestion and its effects on metabolic responses to submaximal cycle ergometry, reaction time and chest and grip strength. Int. Clin. Nutr. Rev. 6:81-87.
- Samli, H. E., N. Senkoylu, H. Akyurek, and A. Agma. 2006. Using rice bran in laying hen diets. J. Cent. Eur. Agric. 7:135-140.
- Silversides, F. G. and T. A. Scott. 2001. Effect of storage and layer age on quality of eggs from two lines of hens. Poult. Sci. 80:1240-1245. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/80.8.1240
- Singh, D. K., L. Li, and T. D. Porter. 2006. Policosanol inhibits cholesterol synthesis in hepatoma cells by activation of AMPkinase. J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. 318:1020-1026. https://doi.org/10.1124/jpet.106.107144
- SPSS (Statistical Packages for Social Sciences). 2007. Statistical Packages for Social Sciences. (version 17.0) SPSS Inc., Chicago, IL, USA.
- Taylor, J. C., L. Rapport, and G. B. Lockwood. 2003. Octacosanol in human health. Nutrition 19:192-195. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0899-9007(02)00869-9
- Xiang, Y., H. Yang, L. L. Li, and X. Wu. 2012. Rat body GS gene expression regulating by octacosanol. J. Pingyuan Univ. 29:47-51.
- Yang, H. 2012. The Preparation of Octacosanol and the Mechanism of the Impact on Energy Metabolism. M. Sc. Thesis, Changsha University, Changsha, China.