- Volume 29 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Performance, Carcass Quality and Fatty Acid Profile of Crossbred Wagyu Beef Steers Receiving Palm and/or Linseed Oil
- Suksombat, Wisitiporn (School of Animal Production Technology, Institute of Agricultural Technology, Suranaree University of Technology) ;
- Meeprom, Chayapol (School of Animal Production Technology, Institute of Agricultural Technology, Suranaree University of Technology) ;
- Mirattanaphrai, Rattakorn (School of Animal Production Technology, Institute of Agricultural Technology, Suranaree University of Technology)
- Received : 2015.06.30
- Accepted : 2016.01.08
- Published : 2016.10.01
The objective of this study was to determine the effect of palm and/or linseed oil (LSO) supplementation on carcass quality, sensory evaluation and fatty acid profile of beef from crossbred Wagyu beef steers. Twenty four fattening Wagyu crossbred beef steers (50% Wagyu), averaging
Linseed Oil;Growth Performance;Carcass Quality;Sensory Evaluation;Fatty Acids;Wagyu Beef Steers
- Choi, S. H., G. O. Gang, J. E. Sawyer, B. J. Johnson, K. H. Kim, C. W. Choi, and S. B. Smith. 2013. Fatty acid biosynthesis and lipogenic enzyme activities in subcutaneous adipose tissue of feedlot steers fed supplementary palm oil or soybean oil. J. Anim. Sci. 91:2091-2098. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2012-5801
- CIE (Commission Internationale de l'Eclairage). 1978. Recommendations on Uniform Color Spaces, Color Difference Equations, Psychometric Color Terms. CIE Supplement #2 to Report #15, TC-2.4, CIE publication, Paris, France.
- AOAC (Association of Official Analytical Chemists). 1995. Official Method of Analysis (16th edn). Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington DC, USA.
- Bessa, R. J. B., S. P. Alves, E. Jernimo, C. M. Alfaia, J. A. M. Prates, and J. Santos-Silva. 2007. Effect of lipid supplements on ruminal biohydrogenation intermediates and muscle fatty acid in lambs. Eur. J. Lipid Sci. Technol. 109:868-878. https://doi.org/10.1002/ejlt.200600311
- Folch, J., M. Lees, and G. H. Sloane Stanley. 1957. A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues. J. Biol. Chem. 226:497-509.
- Gilmore, L. A., R. L. Walzem, S. F. Crouse, D. R. Smith, T. H. Adams, V. Vaidyanathan, X. Cao, and S. B. Smith. 2011. Consumption of high-oleic acid ground beef increases HDLcholesterol concentration but both high-and low-oleic acid ground beef decrease HDL particle diameter in normocholesterolemic men. J. Nutr. 141:1188-1194. https://doi.org/10.3945/jn.110.136085
- He, M. and L. E. Armentano. 2011. Effect of fatty acid profile in vegetable oils and antioxidant supplementation on dairy cattle performance and milk fat depression. J. Dairy Sci. 94:2481-2491. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2010-3755
- Herdmann, A., J. Martin, G. Nuernberg, D. Dannenberger, and K. Nuernberg. 2010. Effect of dietary n-3 and n-6 PUFA on lipid composition of different tissues of German Holstein bulls and the fate of bioactive fatty acids during processing. J. Agric. Food Chem. 58:8314-8321. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf101145y
- Huerta-Leidenz, N. O., H. R. Cross, D. K. Lunt, L. S. Pelton, J. W. Savell, and S. B. Smith. 1991. Growth, carcass traits, and fatty acid profiles of adipose tissues from steers fed whole cottonseed. J. Anim. Sci. 69:3665-3672. https://doi.org/10.2527/1991.6993665x
- Kim, C. M., J. H. Kim, Y. K. Oh, E. K. Park, G. C. Ahn, G. Y. Lee, J. I. Lee, and K. K. Park. 2009. Effects of flaxseed diets on performance, carcass characteristics and fatty acid composition of Hanwoo steers. Asian Australas J. Anim. Sci. 22:1151-1159. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2009.90096
- Mach, N., A. Bach, A. Velarde, and M. Devant. 2008. Association between animal, transportation, slaughterhouse practices, and meat pH in beef. Meat Sci. 78:232-238. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.06.021
- Mach, N., M. Devant, I. Diaz, M. Font-Furnols, M. A. Oliver, J. A. Garcia, and A. Bach. 2006. Increasing the amount of n-3 fatty acid in meat from young Holstein bulls through nutrition. J. Anim. Sci. 84:3039-3048. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2005-632
- Mapiye, C., J. L. Aalhus, T. D. Turner, D. C. Rolland, J. A. Basarab, V. S. Baron, T. A. McAllister, H. C. Block, B. Uttaro, O. Lopez-Campos, S. D. Proctor, and M. E. R. Dugan. 2013. Effects of feeding flaxseed or sunflower-seed in high-forage diets on beef production, quality and fatty acid composition. Meat Sci. 95:98-109. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2013.03.033
- Marques, J. A., I. N. Prado, J. L. Moletta, I. M. Prado, J. M., Prado, L. M. A. Macedo, N. E. Souza, and M. Matsushita. 2006. Carcass and meat traits of feedlot finished heifers submitted to surgical or mechanical anoestrous. R. Bras. Zootec. 35:1514-1522. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-35982006000500034
- Neath, K. E., A. N. Del Barrio, R. M. Lapitan, J. R. V. Herrera, L. C. Cruz, T. Fujihara, S. Muroya, K. Chikuni, M. Hirabayashi, and Y. Kanai. 2007. Difference in tenderness and pH decline between water buffalo meat and beef during postmortem aging. Meat Sci. 75:499-505. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2006.08.016
- Noci, F., P. Freach, F. J. Monahan, and A. P. Moloney. 2007. The fatty acid composition of muscle fat and subcutaneous adipose tissue of grazing heifers supplemented with plant oil-enriched concentrates. J. Anim. Sci. 85:1062-1073. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-105
- NRC (National Research Council). 2000. Nutrient Requirements of Beef Cattle, 7th Rev. edn. National Academy Press, Washington DC, USA.
- Nuernberg, K., D. Dannenberger, G. Nuernberg, K. Ender, J. Voigt, N. D. Scollan, J. D. Wood, G. R. Nute, and R. I. Richardson. 2005. Effect of a grass-based and a concentrate feeding system on meat quality characteristics and fatty acid composition of longissimus muscle in different cattle breeds. Livest. Prod. Sci. 94:137-147. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livprodsci.2004.11.036
- Oliveira, E. A., A. A. M. Sampaio, W. Henrique, T. M. Pivaro, B. L. Rosa, A. R. M. Fernandes, and A. T. Andrade. 2012. Quality traits and lipid composition of meat from Nellore young bulls fed with different oils either protected or unprotected from rumen degradation. Meat Sci. 90:28-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2011.05.024
- Ostrowska, E., F. R. Dunshea, M. Muralitharan, and R. F. Cross. 2000. Comparison of silver-ion high-performance liquid chromatographic quantification of free and methylated conjugated linoleic acids. Lipids 35:1147-1153. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11745-000-0630-y
- Palmquist, D. L. 2009. Omega-3 fatty acids in metabolism, health, and nutrition and for modified animal product foods. Prof. Anim. Sci. 25:207-249.
- Palmquist D. L. and T. C. Jenkins. 1980. Fat in lactations rations:Review. J. Dairy Sci. 63:1-14. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(80)82881-5
- Parodi, P. W. 1997. Milk fat conjugated linoleic acid: Can it help prevent breast cancer? In: Proceedings of Nutrition society of New Zealand, Nutrition Society of New Zealand, (Ed. G. P. Savage), Canterbury, New Zealand. pp. 137-149.
- Partida, J. A., J. L. Olleta, C. Sanudo, P. Alberti, and M. M. Campo. 2007. Fatty acid composition and sensory traits of beef fed palm oil supplements. Meat Sci. 76:444-454. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2006.12.009
- Quinn, M. J., E. R. Loe, B. E. Depenbusch, J. J. Higgins, and J. S. Drouillard. 2008. The effects of flaxseed oil and derivatives on in vitro gas production, performance, carcass characteristics, and meat quality of finishing steers. Prof. Anim. Sci. 24:161-168.
- Raes, K., S. De Smet, and D. Demeyer. 2004. Effect of dietary fatty acids on incorporation of long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids and conjugated linoleic acid in lamb, beef, and pork meat: a review. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 113:199-221. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2003.09.001
- Rule, D. C., W. H. Wu, J. R. Busboom, F. C. Hinds, and C. J. Kercher. 1989. Dietary canola seeds alter the fatty acid composition of bovine subcutaneous adipose tissue. Nutr. Rep. Int. 39:781-786.
- SAS (Statistical Analysis System). 2001. A Handbook of Statistical Analyses Using SAS (2nd edn), SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Santana, M. C. A., G. Fiorentini, P. H. M. Dian, R. C. Canesin, J. D. Messana, R. V. Oliveira, R. A. Reis, and T. T. Berchielli. 2014. Growth performance and meat quality of heifers receiving different forms of soybean oil in the rumen. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 194:35-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2014.05.001
- Scheeder, M. R. L., M. M. Casutt, M. Roulin, F. Escher, P. A. Dufey, and M. Kreuzer. 2001. Fatty acid composition, cooking loss and texture of beef patties from meat of bulls fed different fats. Meat Sci. 58:321-328. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(01)00037-7
- Scollan, N., J. F. Hocquette, K. Nuernberg, D. Dannenberger, I. Richardson, and A. Moloney. 2006. Innovations in beef production systems that enhance the nutritional and health value of beef lipids and their relationship with meat quality. Meat Sci. 74:17-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2006.05.002
- Steel, R. G. D. and J. H. Torrie. 1980. Principles and Procedures of Statistics: A Biometeric Approach. 2nd edn. McGrowHill, New York, NY, USA.
- Stone, H., J. Sidel, S. Oliver, A. Woolsey, and R. C. Singleton. 1974. Sensory evaluation by quantitative descriptive analysis. Food Technol. 28:24-34.
- Swan, J. E., C. M. Esguerra, and M. M. Farouk. 1998. Some physical, chemical and sensory properties of chevon products from three New Zealand goat breeds. Small Rumin. Res. 28:273-280. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4488(97)00087-4
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson, and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber and non-starch polysaccharides in relation to animal production. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3583-3597. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Westering, D. B. and H. B. Hedrick. 1979. Fatty acid composition of bovine lipids as influenced by diet, sex and anatomical location and relationship to sensory characteristics. J. Anim. Sci. 48:1343-1348. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1979.4861343x
- WHO (World Health Organization). 2003. Diet, Nutrition and the Prevention of Chronic Diseases, Report of the joint WHO/FAO expert consultation, WHO Technical Report Series, No. 916 (TRS 916), Geneva, Switzerland.
- Zinn, R. A., S. K. Gulati, A. Plascencia, and J. Salinas. 2000. Influence of ruminal biohydrogenation on the feeding value of fat in finishing diets for feedlot cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 78:1738-1746. https://doi.org/10.2527/2000.7871738x
- Meat Quality, Fatty Acid Composition, Blood Parameters and Nucleotide Compounds Analysis Fed Long Chain Fatty Acid Calcium Salts in Hanwoo Steers (Korean Native Cattle) vol.12, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3923/ajava.2017.88.95