- Volume 28 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Experiences of Self-management Support among Breast Cancer Survivors
유방암 생존자의 자가관리 지지 경험
- Heo, Seok-Mo (Department of Periodontology, School of Dentistry, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Heo, Narae (Department of Nursing, Hansei University)
- Received : 2016.07.19
- Accepted : 2016.08.23
- Published : 2016.08.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to explore self-management support experiences among breast cancer survivors. Methods: Individual in-depth interviews were performed for survivors who had treated breast cancer after completion of chemotherapy and radiation therapy. Data were collected from April 2014 to July 2014 and analyzed using phenomenological method by Colaizzi. Results: Five essential themes were found as follows: 1) Need for continuous help and support to maintain self-management, 2) Need for professional resources to carry out regular exercise, 3) Overcoming psychological difficulties through others rather than health care professionals, 4) Disappointment with time with and circumstances of health care consultation, 5) Dependence on means of media for health related information. Conclusion: The results might contribute to an understanding of self-management support experienced by breast cancer survivors in Korea. It is suggested that evidence-based program for self-management support should be developed and applied to nursing intervention for breast cancer survivors.
- National Cancer Center. 2015 Statistics registration project annual report. [Internet]. Seoul: National Cancer Center; 2015 [cited 2015 September 3]. Available from: http://www.cancer.go.kr/mbs/cancer/subview.jsp?id=cancer_040402000000
- Feuerstein M. Defining cancer survivorship. Journal of Cancer Survivorship. 2007;1(1):5-7. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11764-006-0002-x https://doi.org/10.1007/s11764-006-0002-x
- Rosedale M, Fu MR. Confronting the unexpected: temporal, situational, and attributive dimensions of distressing symptom experience for breast cancer survivors. Oncology Nursing Forum. 2010;37(1):E28-33. http://dx.doi.org/10.1188/10.ONF.E28-E33 https://doi.org/10.1188/10.ONF.E28-E33
- Kim SH, Lee R, Lee KS. Symptoms and uncertainty in breast cancer survivors in Korea: differences by treatment trajectory. Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2012;21:1014-23. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2011.03896.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2011.03896.x
- Ryu YM, Yi M. The factors influencing quality of life in women with breast cancer. Korean Oncology Nursing Society. 2013;13(3):121-7. http://dx.doi.org/10.5388/aon.2013.13.3.121 https://doi.org/10.5388/aon.2013.13.3.121
- Mols F, Vingerhoets AJ, Coebergh JW, van de Poll-Franse LV. Quality of life among long-term breast cancer survivors: a systematic review. European Journal of Cancer. 2005;41(17):2613-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2005.05.017 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2005.05.017
- Loh SY, Ong L, Ng LL, Chew SL, Lee SY, Boniface G. Qualitative experiences of breast cancer survivors on a self-management intervention: 2 year post-intervention. Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention. 2011;12:1489-95.
- Brunet J, Taran S, Burke S, Sabiston CM. Qualitative exploration of barriers and motivators to physical activity participation in women treated for breast cancer. Disability & Rehabilitation. 2013;35(24):2038-45. http://dx.doi.org/10.3109/09638288.2013.802378 https://doi.org/10.3109/09638288.2013.802378
- Rock CL, Doyle C, Demark Wahnefried W, Meyerhardt J, Courneya KS, Schwartz AL, et al. Nutrition and physical activity guidelines for cancer survivors. CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians. 2012;62(4):242-74. http://dx.doi.org/10.3322/caac.21142 https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21142
- Schmitz KH, Courneya KS, Matthews C, Demark-Wahnefriend W, Galvão DA, Pinto BM, et al. American college of sports medicine roundtable on exercise guidelines for cancer survivors. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 2011;42(7):1409-26. http://dx.doi.org/10.1249/MSS.0b013e3181e0c112 https://doi.org/10.1249/MSS.0b013e3181e0c112
- Davies N, Batehup L. Self-management support for cancer survivors: guidance for developing interventions. London, UK: Macmillan Cancer Support; 2010. p. 1-82.
- Kang G, Oh S. Effects of mindfulness meditation program on perceived stress, ways of coping, and stress response in breast cancer patients. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2012;422):161-70. http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2012.42.2.161 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2012.42.2.161
- Cho EA, Oh HE. Effects of laughter therapy on depression, quality of life, resilience and immune responses in breast cancer survivors. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2011;41(3):285-93. http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.3.285 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.3.285
- National Cancer Center, Ministry of Health and Welfare, National Cancer Control Planning Board. 2016 Promoting research and development project to conquer cancer. [Internet]. Seoul: National Cancer Control Planning Board; 2016 [cited 2016 August 19]. Available from: https://ncc.ncc.re.kr/
- Choi EN, Choi HR. The relationship between practice in lymphedema self-care management and health-related quality of life in breast cancer patients with mastectomy. Journal of Korean Critical Care Nursing. 2013;6(1):21-3.
- Jung HM, Cho Mo, Jun JY, Kim YS, Son KH, Jun EM. The relationships among physical symptoms, ADLs, and self-care behaviors in female cancer patients with lymphedema. Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society. 2007;9(3):1139-52.
- Choi EN, Kim SY. Quality of life in female postmastectomy patients with lymphedema according to the dominant hand. Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society. 2015;17(1):453-68.
- Colaizzi PE. Psychological research as the phenomenological views it. New York: Oxford University Press. 1978.
- Harrington CB, Hansen JA, Moskowitz M, Todd BL, Feuerstein M. It's not over when it's over: long-term symptoms in cancer survivors-a systematic review. The International Journal of Psychiatry in Medicine. 2010;40(2):163-81. http://dx.doi.org/10.2190/PM.40.2.c https://doi.org/10.2190/PM.40.2.c
- Lincoln YS, Guba EG. Naturalistic inquiry. Beverly Hills, CA: Sage Publications. 1985.
- Bender JL, Jimenez-Marroquin MC, Jadad AR. Seeking support on facebook: a content analysis of breast cancer groups. Journal of Medical Internet Research. 2011;13(1):e16. http://dx.doi.org/10.2196/jmir.1560 https://doi.org/10.2196/jmir.1560
- McCorkle R, Ercolano E, Lazenby M, Schulman-Green D, Schilling LS, Lorig K, et al. Self-management: enabling and empowering patients living with cancer as a chronic illness. CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians. 2011;61:50-62. http://dx.doi.org/10.3322/caac.20093 https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20093
- Yi M, Ryu YM, Hwang E. The experience of self-help group activities among women with breast cancer in Korea. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing. 2014;26(4):466-78. http://dx.doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2014.26.4.466 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2014.26.4.466
- Luoma ML, Hakamies-Blomqvist L, Blomqvist C, Nikander R, Gustavsson-Lilius M, Saarto T. Experiences of breast cancer survivors participating in a tailored exercise intervention -a qualitative study. Anticancer Research. 2014;34:1193-9.
- Galantino ML, Desai K, Greene L, Demichele A, Stricker CT, Mao JJ. Impact of yoga on functional outcomes in breast cancer survivors with aromatase inhibitor-associated arthralgias. Integrative Cancer Therapies. 2012;11:313-20. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1534735411413270 https://doi.org/10.1177/1534735411413270
- van der Meulen IC, May AM, Ros WJG, Oosterom M, Hordijk GJ, Koole R, et al. One-year effect of a nurse-led psychosocial intervention on depressive symptoms in patients with head and neck cancer: a randomized controlled trial. The Oncologist. 2013;18:336-44. http://dx.doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.2012-0299 https://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.2012-0299
- Lee E. Cancer patient burden fee for consultation: from 90,000 won to 1000 won [Internet]. Seoul; Joongang; 2015 [cited 2015 October 3]. Available from: http://app.mnews.joins.com/news/article/article.aspx?ctg=mobile_06&total_id=18784514
- Kim SH, Ham YH, Kim JH, Kim HK, Hwang OH, Kim MY, et al. Satisfaction with Korean oncology advanced practice nurses' role: a study of patients, physicians, and nurses. Asian Oncology Nursing. 2014;14(1):41-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.5388/aon.2014.14.1.41 https://doi.org/10.5388/aon.2014.14.1.41
- Logan AG, Irvine MJ, McIsaac WJ, Tisler A, Rossos PG, Easty A, et al. Effect of home blood pressure telemonitoring with self-care support on uncontrolled systolic hypertension in diabetics. Hypertension. 2012;60(1):51-7. http://dx.doi.org/10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.111.188409 https://doi.org/10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.111.188409
- Husson O, Mols F, van de Poll-Franse LV. The relation between information provision and health-related quality of life, anxiety and depression among cancer survivors: a systematic review. Annals of Oncology. 2011;22:761-72. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdq413 https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdq413
- Experience of Chemotherapy in Ovarian Cancer Patients vol.17, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5388/aon.2017.17.3.158