- Volume 15 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Prediction of Impact Energy Absorption in a High Weight Drop Tester by Response Surface Methodology
반응표면법을 사용한 고 중량물 낙하시험기의 충격에너지 흡수량 예측 연구
Kang, Hoon;Jang, Jin-Seok;Kim, Da-Hye;Kang, Ji-Heon;Yoo, Wan-Seok;Lee, Jae-Wook
- Received : 2016.02.14
- Accepted : 2016.03.29
- Published : 2016.06.30
This paper presents the characteristics of the energy absorption in an expansion tube type impact absorber that is applied to a high weight drop tester and the use of a response surface methodology to predict the impact energy absorption. In order to identify the characteristics of the energy absorption, a set of finite element analysis was conducted with Abaqus Explicit. Moreover, the ISCD-II sampling method and a first order polynomial were used to build a response surface. As a result, we demonstrated that the impact energy could be controlled by four main design variables, namely an expansion pipe's thickness, inner radius, pressing die's expansion angle and expansion ratio. Additionally, we observed the relationship between the four main design variables and the impact energy absorbing time, displacement, and maximum impact force.
Response Surface Method;High Weight Drop Tester;Impact Energy;Expansion Tube Type Impact Absorber
- Heo, S. J., Lee, J. H., Koo, J. S., and Song, D. H., "Design and Analysis of the Frontal Impact Absorber for Highspeed Railway Power Cars," Proceedings of the KSME 1998 Fall Annual Meeting, pp. 628-634, 1998.
- Ahn, K. H., "Study on the Crash Energy Absorption and Dynamic Local Buckling of the Expansion Tubes," A Thesis for a Master, KAIST, Republic of Korea, 2008.
- Ahn, K. H., Kim, J. S., and Heo, H., "The Crash Energy Absorption of the Expansion Tubes considering Dynamic Buckling," Proceedings of the KSAE 30th Anniversary Conference 2008, pp. 1049-1054, 2008.
- Lim, J. H. and Chung, Y. I., "Development of Automotive Crash Box with Tube Expansion Type," Proceedings of the KSAE 2009 Annual Conference, pp. 2427-2434, 2009.
- Lee, S. H., Choi, S. D., Kim, G. M., and Lee, J. H., "Study on the Bonding Property and Strength Evaluation in Bonding Interface Joints of Dissimilar Material using Response Surface Analysis", Journal of the Korean Society of Manufacturing Process Engineers, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 76-82, 2009.
- Song, B. C., Kim, S. R., Kang, Y. G., and Han, M. H., "A Study on the Comparison of Approximation Models for Multi-Objective Design Optimization of a Tire", Journal of the Korean Society of Manufacturing Process Engineers, Vol. 10, No. 5, pp. 117-124, 2011.
- Yang, J., Luo, M., Hua, Y., and Lu, G., "Energy Absorption of Expansion Tubes using a Conical-Cylindrical Die: Experiments and Numerical Simulation," International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, Vol. 52, No. 5, pp. 716-725, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2009.11.015
- Almeida, B. P. P., Alves, M. L., Rosa, P. A. R., Brito, A. G., and Martins, P. A. F., "Expansion and Reduction of Thin-Walled Tubes using a Die: Experimental and Theoretical Investigation," International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture, Vol. 46, No. 12, pp. 1643-1652, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmachtools.2005.08.018
- Punuhsingon, S. C. and Oh, S. C., "Application of Response Surface Methodology for Modeling and Optimization of Surface Roughness and Electric Current Consumption in Turning Operation", Journal of the Korean Society of Manufacturing Process Engineers, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 56-68, 2014.
- Lee, J. H., Choi, S. D., Kim, K. M., and Lee, J. H., "Study on the Bonding Property and Strength Evaluation in Bonding Interface Joints of Dissimilar Material using Response Surface Methodology", Journal of the Korean Society of Manufacturing Process Engineers, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 76-82, 2009.
- Ye, S. D., Min, B. H., and Lee, J. K., "Design of Ultra-precision Micro Stage using Response Surface Methodology", Journal of the Korean Society of Manufacturing Process Engineers, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 39-44, 2006.
- Ka, J. D., "A Study on 2D Airfoil Design Optimization with Metamodels," A Thesis for a Master, KAIST, Republic of Korea, 2003.
- EasyDesign, User's Manual for EasyDesign (V3R5), Institute of Design Optimization Inc., pp. 184-194, 2014.
Grant : 산업계연계형
Supported by : 한국생산기술연구원