- Volume 1 Issue 1
This paper analyzes the impact of CSR on the capital market in Korea. Using listed firm data, we found that the creation of a sustainability report that indirectly measures the level of CSR can bring the stock rate of return difference of the capital markets representative market index. First, when a firm that publishes a sustainability report was compared in terms of its market rate of return, it showed a return increase of about 2%. We found that higher returns were gained through the competitive advantage of related business when the firm was actively involved in social responsibility. Second, subdivided by industry, firms belonging to the capital goods industry were found to reach a rate of return higher than that of industry. These firms were noticeable in that they were mainly industries that caused environmental pollution. Third, in an additional analysis, foreign investors were given the sustainability report of financial businesses, which was interpreted as a result of industrial properties. A sustainability report is a comprehensive report on the economic, environmental, and social activities of a firm. Firms must learn that they can gain trust through publishing trustworthy reports while achieving the lasting power of growth from the stakeholders.
Sustainability report;CSR;Capital market;GRI;Stock return
- Barnea, A. and A. Rubin, 2010, Corporate social responsibility as a conflict between shareholders, Journal of Business Ethics 97, 71-86. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-010-0496-z
- Brown, W. O., E., Helland and J. K. Smith, 2006, Corporate philanthropic practices, Journal of Corporate Finance 12, 855-877. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcorpfin.2006.02.001
- Choi, Y. Y., H. S. Lee and C. S. Hong, 2009, Corporate social responsibility and firm value, Korean Management Review 38, 407-432(In Korean).
- FKI, 2014, CSR issue paper, The Federation of Korean Industries, South Korea. (In Korean).
- Park, K. S., E. J. Lee and H. S. Jang, 2004, The impact of the presence of major stockholder on Korean corporate governance, Asian Review of Financial Research 17, 163-201.
- Shin, H. H., S. C. Lee and J. H. Jang, 2004, External monitoring subject, Asian Review of Financial Research 17, 655-682(In Korean).
- Research Institute for Social Enterprise, East Asia Institute, 2013, CSR Monitor, The 4 big dilemmas of Korea CSR in public opinion, South Korea(In Korean).