- Volume 32 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Sensitivity Analysis of Ozone Simulation according to the Impact of Meteorological Nudging
기상자료동화에 따른 CMAQ 모델의 오존농도 모의 민감도 연구
Kim, Taehee;Kim, Yoo-Keun;Shon, Zang-Ho;Jeong, Ju-Hee
- Received : 2016.05.19
- Accepted : 2016.07.19
- Published : 2016.08.31
This study aimed at analyzing the sensitivity of ozone simulation in accordance with the meteorological nudging for a high nocturnal ozone episode. To demonstrate the effectiveness of nudging methods (e.g., nudging techniques and application domains), the following six experiments were designed: (1) control without nudging, (2) experiment with application of observation nudging to all domains (domain 1~4), and (3)~(6) experiments with application of grid nudging to domain 1, domain 1~2, domain 1~3 and all domains, respectively. As a result, the meteorological nudging had a direct (improvement of input data) and indirect (estimate natural emission) effect on ozone simulation. Nudging effects during the daytime were greater than those during the nighttime due to low accuracy of wind direction during the nighttime. On comparison of the nudging techniques, the experiments in which grid nudging was applied showed more improved results than the experiments in which observation nudging was applied. At this time point, the simulated concentrations were generally similar to the observed concentrations due to the increase in the nudging effect when grid nudging was applied up to the sub-domain. However, for high nocturnal ozone uptakes, the experiment in which grid nudging was applied do domain 1~3 showed better results than the other experiments. This is because, when grid nudging was applied to the high resolution domain (e.g., domain 4 with 1 km), the local characteristics were removed due to the smoothing effects of meteorological conditions.
Meteorological nudging;Ozone;CMAQ;Nudging techniques;Application domains;Grid nudging;Observation nudging;Objective analysis
- Liu, P., A.P. Tsimpidi, Y. Hu, B. Stone, A.G. Russell, and A. Nenes (2012) Differences between downscaling with spectral and grid nudging using WRF, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 12, 3601-3610. https://doi.org/10.5194/acp-12-3601-2012
- Mao, Q., L.L. Gautney, T.M. Cook, M.E. Jacobs, S.M. Smith, and J.J. Kelsoe (2006) Numerical experiment on MM5-CMAQ sensitivity to various PBL schemes, Atmospheric Environment, 40(17), 3092-3110. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2005.12.055
- National Institute of Environmental Research (NIER) (2014) Studies on the optimization method for improving the accuracy of air quality modeling, Korea, 1-556.
- Otte, T.L. (2008) The impact of nudging in the meteorological model for retrospective air quality simulations. Part Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology, 47, 1853-1867. https://doi.org/10.1175/2007JAMC1790.1
- Pielke, R.A. and M. Uliasz (1998) Use of meteorological models as input to regional and mesoscale air quality models - limitations and strengths, Atmospheric Environment, 32, 1455-1466. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1352-2310(97)00140-4
- Queen, A.N. and Y. Zhang (2008) Examining the sensitivity of MM5-CMAQ predictions to explicit microphysics schemes and horizontal grid resolutions. Part II - PM concentration and wet deposition predictions, Atmospheric Environment, 42(16), 3856-3868. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2007.12.066
- Seaman, N.L. (2000) Meteorological modeling for air-quality assessments, Atmospheric Environment, 34(12-14), 2231-2259. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1352-2310(99)00466-5
- Singh, H.B. and P.B. Zimmermann (1992) Atmospheric distribution and sources of nonmethane hydrocarbons, In: Gaseous pollutants: Characterization and cycling, 1, 177-235.
- Lamb, B., A. Guenther, D. Gay, and H. Westberg (1987) A national inventory of biogenic hydrocarbon emissions, Atmospheric Environment, 21, 1695-1705. https://doi.org/10.1016/0004-6981(87)90108-9
- Lee, D.-G., M.-H. Lee, Y.-M. Lee, C. Yoo, S.-C. Hong, K.-W. Jang, and J.-H. Hong (2013) An impact of meteoroozone predition in the Seoul metropolitan area during June, 2007, Journal of Environmental Impact Assessment, 22(6), 609-628. (in Korean with English abstract) https://doi.org/10.14249/eia.2013.22.6.609
- Yerramilli, A., V.S. Challa, V.B.R. Dodla, H.P. Dasari, J.H. Young, C. Patrick, J.M. Baham, R.L. Hughes, M.G. Hardy, and S.J. Swanier (2010) Simulation of surface ozone pollution in the central Gulf coast region using WRF/Chem model: Sensitivity to PBL and land surface physics, Advances in Meteorology, 3(1), 55-71.
- Barna, M. and B. Lamb (2000) Improving ozone modeling in regions of complex terrain using observational nudging in a prognostic meteorological model, Atmospheric Environment, 34, 4889-4906. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1352-2310(00)00231-4
- Borge, R., V. Alexandrov, J.J. Vas, J. Lumbreras, and E. Rodriguez (2008) A comprehensive sensitivity analysis of the WRF model for air quality applications over the Iberian Peninsula, Atmospheric Environment, 42, 8560-8574. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2008.08.032
- Chameides, W.L., R.W. Linsay, J. Richardson, and C.S. Kiang (1988) The role of biogenic hydrocarbons in urban photochemical smog: Atlanta as a case study, Science, 241, 1473-1475. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.3420404
- Cho, K.T., J.C. Kim, and J.H. Hong (2006) A study on the comparison of biogenic VOC (BVOC) emissions estimates by BEIS and CORINAIR methodologies, Journal of Korean Society for Atmospheric Environment, 22(2), 167-177. (in Korean with English abstract)
- Choi, H.-J., H.-W. Lee, K. Sung, and M.-J. Kim (2009) The effect of atmospheric flow field according to the - jective analysis on complex area, Journal of the Environmental Sciences, 18(3), 271-281. (in Korean with English abstract) https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2009.18.3.271
- Choi, J.W. and J.G. Lee (2015) A sensitivity study of WRF model simulations to nudging methods for a Yeongdong heavy snowfall event, Atmosphere, Korean Meteorological Society, 25(1), 99-115. (in Korean with English abstract)
- Dawson, J.P., P.J. Adams, and S.N. Pandis (2007) Sensitivity of ozone to summertime climate in the eastern USA: A modeling case study, Atmospheric Environment, 41(7), 1494-1511. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2006.10.033
- Eliasson, I., S. Thorsson, and Y. Andersson-Skold (2003) Summer nocturnal ozone maxima in Goteborg, Sweden, Atmospheric Environment, 37, 2615-2627. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1352-2310(03)00205-X
- Hanna, S.R. (1994) Mesoscale meteorological model evaluation techniques with emphasis on needs of air quality models, Mesoscale Modeling of the Atmosphere, American Meteorological Society, 25, 47-58.
- Jeong, Y.-M., H.-W. Lee, S.-H. Lee, H.-J. Choi, and W.-B. Jeon (2011) Numerical study on the impact of regional - centration over the South-Eastern part of the Korean peninsula, Journal of the Environmental Sciences, 19(12), 1431-1445. (in Korean with English abstract)
- Kim, S.B. and D.W. Byun (2005) Mass consistent on-line and off-line air quality modelng using WRF-CMAQ system, Proceeding of the 40th Meething of KOSAE, Korean Society for Atmospheric Environment, 21, 85-89.
- Kim, T., J.-H. Jeong, and Y.-K. Kim (2016) Sensitivity analysis of the WRF model according to the impact of nudging for improvement of ozone prediction, Journal of the Environmental Sciences, 25(5), 683-694. (in Korean with English abstract) https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2016.25.5.683
Supported by : 한국연구재단