- Volume 25 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Effect of Replacing Corn Meal with Barely on Fecal Microbial, Gas Emission, and Volatile Fatty Acid (VFA) Concentration in Growing Pig
옥수수를 보리로 대체 급여 시 돈분의 미생물, 가스 발생량 및 휘발성 지방산 함량에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Hoi-Yun (Department of Animal Resource Technology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Kim, Sam-Churl (Division of Applied Life Science (BK21Plus, Insti. of Agric. & Life Sci.), Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Lee, Hyuk-Jun (Division of Applied Life Science (BK21Plus, Insti. of Agric. & Life Sci.), Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Choi, In-Hag (Department of Companion Animal & Animal Resources Science, Joongbu University) ;
- Song, Young-Min (Department of Animal Resource Technology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology)
- 김회윤 (경남과학기술대학교 동물소재공학과) ;
- 김삼철 (경상대학교 응용생명과학부(BK21Plus, 농업생명과학연구원)) ;
- 이혁준 (경상대학교 응용생명과학부(BK21Plus, 농업생명과학연구원)) ;
- 최인학 (중부대학교 애완동물자원학과) ;
- 송영민 (경남과학기술대학교 동물소재공학과)
- Received : 2016.06.14
- Accepted : 2016.08.21
- Published : 2016.08.31
The objectives of this study were to evaluate the effect of replacing 40% corn meal with three different types of barley (Youngyang, Wooho, and Yuyeon) on the chemical compositions, microbial indices, gas emission, and volatile fatty acid (VFA) content in feces of growing pigs. Sixteen pigs (Landrace
Barley;Corn;Gas emission;Microbial indices;Pig manure;Volatile fatty acid
Supported by : 경남과학기술대학교
- AOAC, 2000, Official methods of analysis of AOAC International, (17th ed.), Gaithersburg, MD, USA, AOAC.
- Cho, M. K., 2008, Study on pig industry's competitiveness plan under FTA environment, MS thesis, Chungang University.
- Goering, H. K., Van Soest, P. J., 1970, Forage fiber analysis, Agricultural handbook No. 379. US Department of Agriculture, Washington, DC. 1-20.
- Kim, D. M., 2013, Evaluation on feed nutritional value of spent mushroom substrate in Korean native black pig, MS Thesis, Kangwon University Graduate School.
- Kim, J. G., Han, M. S., Kim, G. Y., Han, J. D., Jin, H. J., Shin, C. N., 1996, Study on baled silage making of selected forage crops and pasture grasses, J. Korea Grassl. Sci., 16, 87-92.
- Lee, E. Y., Lim, J. S., 2010, Current status and perspectives of livestock environment improving agents for the characteristics and control of swine manure odor, Kor. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 38, 244-254.
- Otto, E. R., Youkouama, M., Hengemule, S., Yrottier, N. L., 2003, Ammonia, volatile fatty acids, phenolics and odor offensiveness in manure from growing pigs fed diets reduced in protein concentration, J. Anim. Sci., 81, 1754-1763. https://doi.org/10.2527/2003.8171754x
- Park, T. I., Seo, J. H., Han, O. K., Kim, K. H., Oh, Y. J., Park, K. H., Choi, J. S., Park, J. C., Park, H. H., Kim, H. S., Kim, J. G., Song, T. H., Kim, W. H., Park, N. G., Jeung, J. H., Ju, J. I., Kim, S. Y., Kim, D. H., 2011, A new whole crop barley cultivar 'Younghan' with good quality, resistance to lodging and viral disease and high-yielding, Kor. J. Breed. Sci., 43, 184-189.
- SAS Institute, 2002, SAS/STAT User's Guide: Version 8.2. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC.
- Song, Y. M., Cho, J. H., Chu, G. M., Kim, H. Y., Lee, J. Y., Kim, S. C., Kim, S. C., 2014, Effects of bamboo powder supplementation on growth performance, blood metabolites and characteristic of fattening pigs and gas emission and microbial populations in pig manure, J. Environ. Sci. Intern., 23, 1429-1436. https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2014.23.8.1429
- Spoelstra, S. F., 1980, Origin of objectionable odorous compounds in piggery wastes and the possibility of applying indicator components for studying odor development, Agric. Environ., 5, 241-260. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-1131(80)90004-1
- Yun, S. K., Park, T. I., Seo, J. H., Kim, K. H., Song, T. H., Park, K. H., Han, O. K., 2009, Effect of harvest time and cultivars on forage yield and quality of whole crop barley, J. Kor. Grassl. Forage Sci., 29, 121-128. https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2009.29.2.121
- Zahn, J. A., DiSpirito, A. A., Do, Y. S., Brooks, D. E., Cooper, E. E., Hatfield, J. L., 2001, Correlation of human olfactory responses to airborne concentrations of malodorous volatile organic compounds emitted from swine effluent, J. Environ. Qual., 30, 624-1634. https://doi.org/10.2134/jeq2001.302624x