- Volume 25 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Impact of Grit Chamber Deposits on Water Quality at the Mouth of Yeocheoncheon, Ulsan
여천천 하구에 설치된 침사지내 퇴적토의 수질영향분석
- Lee, Sang-Hyeon (Planning & Administration Bureau, Ulsan Development Institute) ;
- Cho, Hong-Je (School of Civil & Environ. Engineering, University of Ulsan)
- Received : 2016.07.08
- Accepted : 2016.08.22
- Published : 2016.08.31
Transported deposit was accumulated in a grit chamber built at the mouth of Yeocheoncheon in 1987 with the intention of blocking the influx of sediment into the Ulsan-harbor. This study attempted to analyze the effects of the transported deposit on the water quality at Yeocheoncheon. Only one episode of dredging has been performed in the approximately 25 years since the grit chamber were built, leading to the formation of stagnant water in the grit chamber due to a large amount of transported deposit. The deposit has a relatively high organic content, in the range of 11.7-25.9% (mean 18.3%). It appears that the main reason for the upstream transport of water pollution from the mouth of the Yeocheoncheon is the tides. The effects of organic content and stagnant water on water quality were analyzed using WASP. Moreover, the changes in water quality arising due to the removal of the grit chamber were analyzed. Results indicated that BOD improved by 18.8-100%, while T-P improved by 90.0-617.4%, between the grit chamber and Hanbi-Gyo, which is located 1.3 km away from the grit chamber.
Grit chamber;Deposits;Water quality change;WASP (water quality analysis simulation program) model
- An, S. S., Seo, M. J., Park, N. S., Jang, K. O., 2007, The parameter estimation of wasp model for water quality prediction, J. Environ. Sci. Int., 16(5), 623-632. https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2007.16.5.623
- Cho, H. J., Lee, B. H., Kim, J. S., Lee, K. B., 2002, Prediction of quality variation caused by dredging urban river-bed, J. Korea wat. resou. assoc., 36(2), 137-148.
- Hydrologic Engineering Center, 2008a, HEC-RAS River Analysis System, Version 4.0, User's Manual.
- Joung, J. Y., 2014, Characteristic of waterborne sediments and management measures of dredged sediments, Master Thesis, Kwangun University.
- Kang, Y. J., 2010, Water quality modeling for downstream from urban areas, Suwon university.
- Lee, S. H., Kim, D. S., Lee, T. Y., 2014, Estimation of contamination level of sediments obtained from the outport of jeju harbor, J. Environ. Sci. Int., 23(6), 1111-1120. https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2014.23.6.1111
- Ministry of Construction, 1994, Standard guide Specification River Construction.
- Na, C. H., 2011, Water quality prediction after the construction of muti-functional weir in nakdong river, Master Thesis, Kyungbuk University.
- Ulsan Metropolitan City, namhu(UMCN), 2003, Fundamental planning report for river improvement works of Yeocheoncheon(change).
- Ulsan Metropolitan City, namhu(UMCN), 2006, Working design of establishment of ecological streams for Yeocheoncheon.
- Yeo, M. K., Hwang, E. H., Joung, K. H., 2012, Distribution characteristic of fluorinated compound in major river water and sediment, Anal. sci. tech., 25(3), 313-323. https://doi.org/10.5806/AST.2012.25.5.313
- Hydrologic Engineering Center, 2008b, HEC-RAS River Analysis System, Version 4.0, Hydraulic Reference Manual.