- Volume 25 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
A Case Study on the Measurement Volatile Organic Compounds and Total Hydrocarbon Concentrations in Block Paint-Shops at a Shipyard
조선소 블록 도장시설에서의 휘발성 유기화합물과 총 탄화수소 농도측정 사례
- Yang, Sung-Bong (Department of Chemistry, University of Ulsan) ;
- Yu, Mee Seon (Department of Chemistry, University of Ulsan) ;
- Woo, Kyung-Bin (Department of Chemistry, University of Ulsan)
- Received : 2016.06.27
- Accepted : 2016.07.17
- Published : 2016.08.31
In order to prepare the information needed to construct a reduction system for volatile organic compounds (VOCs) exhausted from ship-block paint-booths in a giant shipyard, VOCs in paint-shop airs were analyzed and compared to the components in paint thinners. Aromatic hydrocarbons containing eight and nine carbon atoms are known to be major VOC compounds found in shipyard paint-shops. The total hydrocarbon (THC(C7)) concentrations calibrated using toluene gas, were measured in block paint-shops with two photo-ionization detector (PID) meters, and the resulting THC(C7) data were converted to THC(C1) concentrations according to the Standard Methods for the Measurements of Air Pollution in South Korea. THC(C1) concentrations near the spray site ranged from 10 to 2,000 ppm, but they were less than 400 ppm near the walls of the paint-booth. The measurements of THC concentrations, based on the height of the monitoring sites, were related to the height of the target to which the spray paints were applied. The maximum concentrations occurred at almost the same height as the spray targets. When painted blocks had been dried-by warming with no spraying, the THC concentrations were 80~100 ppm.
THC concentration;Block paint-shop;Shipyard;Photoionization detector
Grant : 흡착, 농축 및 플라즈마 화학공정기술을 이용한 대규모 도장공정 VOC 및 HAP 저감용 하이브리드 장치 개발
Supported by : 한국환경산업기술원
- Atkinson, R., 2000, Atmospheric chemistry of VOCs and NOx, Atmospheric Environment, 34, 2063-2101. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1352-2310(99)00460-4
- Baek, S. O., Moon, Y. H., 2004, Evaluation of adsorbent sampling methods for volatile organic compounds in indoor and outdoor air, Analytical Science & Technology, 17(6), 496-513.
- Chung, J. W., Lee, M. E., Lee, H. D., 2011, Characteristics of environmental pollution related with public complaints in an industrial shipbuilding complex, Korea, Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 177, 73-84. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-010-1619-9
- Davis, M. E., Blicharz, A. P., Hart, J. E., Laden, F., Garshick, E., Smith, T. J., 2007, Occupational exposure to volatile organic compounds and aldehydes in the U. S. trucking industry, Environmental Science & Technology, 41(20), 7152-7158. https://doi.org/10.1021/es071041z
- Dong, X., Zhang, P., Zhao, Z., Wang, H., Chai, S., 2013, Design of the photo-ionization detector of total hydrocarbon, International Conference on Optoelectronics and Microelectronics (ICOM), IEEE, 98-100.
- Jung, K. Y., Kim, K. H., Im, M. S., 2006, Comparative analysis on the relative performance of total hydrocarbon (THC) analyzer: A case study on TVA-1000 vs. MicroFID, J. of the Korean Society of Environmental Analysis, 9(4), 250-254.
- Kang, S. K., 2013, A study on collection efficiency on total hydrocarbons in accordance with time changes at activated carbon collection facility, Master's Thesis, Department of safety engineering, Graduate School, University of Incheon, Incheon, Korea, 30-34.
- Kim, K. H., 2010, The analytical bias of total hydrocarbon (THC) measurements in relation to the selection of standard gas compound, Journal of Korean Society for Atmospheric Environment, 26(4), 449-452. https://doi.org/10.5572/KOSAE.2010.26.4.449
- Kim, K. H., Pal, R., 2008, Performance test of portable analyzers for total hydrocarbons (THC) through a cross-calibration against gas chromatograph, Sensors and Actuators B, 134, 832-838. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.snb.2008.06.029
- Lee, M. E., Park, E. O., Chung, J. W., 2015, Concentration distribution of volatile organic compounds in the ambient air of an industrial shipbuilding complex : A case study, Journal of Korean Society of Environmental Engineers, 37(6), 380-386. https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2015.37.6.380
- Ministry of Environment (MOE), 2015, 2013 Annual report of PRTR (pollutant release and transfer register) system of chemical substances, Korea.
- Seo, D. K., Kim, D. J., Lee, H. K., Lee, C. B., Chung, C. H., Oh, S. W., 2004, Evaluation and characterization of a NDIR exhaust gas analyzer used for THC emission measurement, Proceeding of 2004 KSAE Annual Spring Conference, The Korean Society of Automotive Engineers, 10-15.
- Suh, J. H., Sunwoo, Y., Mah, Y. I., Oh, J. J., Woo, J. H., Hong, J. H., 2009, Comparison of VOCs emission control limits between Korea and other countries, Proceeding of the 48th Meeting of KOSAE, Korean Society for Atmospheric Environment, 486-488.
- USEPA, 1991, Manual for coordination of VOC emissions testing using EPA methods 18, 25, and 25A, EPA 340/1-91-008.
- Yang, S. B., Park, J. H., Park, D. R., Yu, M. S., 2014, Final report of the study on countermeasure to reduce the fugitive emissions of hazardous air pollutants from shipyards, The Korean Environmental Sciences Society.