- Volume 25 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Development of Predictive Model for Annual Mean Radon Concentration for Assessment of Annual Effective dose of Radon Exposure
라돈 노출 유효선량 평가를 위한 연간 평균 라돈 농도 예측모델 개발
- Lee, Cheolmin (Department of Chemical & Biological Engineering, Seokyeong University) ;
- Kang, Daeyong (Department of Humanities and Social Medicine, Ajou University School of Medicine) ;
- Koh, Sangbaek (Department of Preventive Medicine, Wonju College of Medicine, Yonsei University) ;
- Cho, Yongseog (Korea Radon Association) ;
- Lee, Dajeong (Korea Radon Association) ;
- Lee, Sulbee (Korea Radon Association)
- 이철민 (서경대학교 화학생명공학과) ;
- 강대용 (아주대학교 의과대학 인문사회의학교실) ;
- 고상백 (연세대학교 원주의과대학 예방의학교실) ;
- 조용석 (한국 라돈 협회) ;
- 이다정 (한국 라돈 협회) ;
- 이슬비 (한국 라돈 협회)
- Received : 2016.05.23
- Accepted : 2016.08.09
- Published : 2016.08.31
This research, sponsored by the Korean Ministry of Environment in 2014, was the first epidemiological study in Korea that investigated the health impact assessment of radon exposure. Its purpose was to construct a model that calculated the annual mean cumulative radon exposure concentrations, so that reliable conclusions could be drawn from environment-control group research. Radon causes chronic lung cancer. Therefore, the long-term measurement of radon exposure concentration, over one year, is needed in order to develop a health impact assessment for radon. Hence, based on the seasonal correction model suggested by Pinel et al.(1995), a predictive model of annual mean radon concentration was developed using the year-long seasonal measurement data from the National Institute of Environmental Research, the Korea Institute of Nuclear Safety, the Hanyang University Outdoor Radon Concentration Observatory, and the results from a 3-month (one season) survey, which is the official test method for radon measurement designated by the Korean Ministry of Environment. In addition, a model for evaluating the effective annual dose for radon was developed, using dosimetric methods. The model took into account the predictive model for annual mean radon concentrations and the activity characteristics of the residents.
Seasonal correction;Radon;Assessment of the effective dose for radon exposure;Annual mean radon concentrations
Supported by : 환경부
- AGIR (Advisory Group on Ionising Radiation), 2009, Radon and Public Health. Report of the independent Advisory Group on Ionsing Radiation. Doc HPA, RCE-11, 1-204. Available at http//www.hpa.org.uk
- Daniel, K., Ranjeeta, M., Jan, M. Z., Ernest, G. L., 2005, Modeling seasonal variation in indoor radon concentrations, Journal of Exposure Analysis and Environmental Epidemiology, 15, 234-243. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.jea.7500397
- EC (European Commission), Radiation Protection Unit, 1999, Radiological protection principles concerning the natural radioactivity of building materials, Radioation Protection, 112.
- Gavin, K. G., Paul, S. P., Antony, R. D., 2005, The effects of geology and the impact of seasonal correction factors on indoor radon levels: A case study approach, Journal of Environmental Radioactivity, 84, 469-479. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvrad.2005.05.004
- Groves-Kirkby, C. J., Denman, A. R., Phillips, P. S., 2010, Crockett, R. G. M., Sinclair, J. M., Comparison of seasonal variability in European domestic radon measurements, Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences, 10, 565-569. https://doi.org/10.5194/nhess-10-565-2010
- Gunby, J. A., Darby, S. C., Miles, J. C. H., Green, B. M. R., Cox, D. R., 1993, Factors affecting indoor radon concentrations in the United Kingdom, Health Phys., 64(1), 2-12. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004032-199301000-00001
- ICRP (International Commission on Radiological Protection), 2007, Recommendation of the international commission on radiological protection, ICRP Publication 103, Ann ICRP, 37.
- Iida, T., 1985, An electrostatic radon monitor for the continuous measurement of environmental radon in atmospheric radon progeny and environmental radioactivity, Okabe. Atomic Energy Society of Japan, 66-73.
- Khan, M. S. A., Tariq, M., Rawat, R. B. S., 2014, Environmental monitoring of radon-thoron levels and their seasonal variation in some selected dwellings in and around rampur city using solid state nuclear track detector (SSNTD), Journal of Engineering Research and Applications, 4(8), 151-157.
- Kim, Y. S., Lee, C. M., Kim, K. Y., Jeon, H. J., Kim, J. C., Iida, T., 2007, Time series observations of atomospheric radon concentration in Seoul, Korea for an analysis of long-range transportation of air pollutants in the North-East Asia, Kor. J. Env. Hlth, 33(4), 283-292.
- Kurnaz, A., KucukOmeroglu, B., Cevik, U., Celebi, N., 2011, Radon level and indoor gamma doses in dewllings of Trabzon, Turkey, Applied Radiation and Isotopes, 69(10), 1544-1549.
- Lazar, I., Toth, E., Marx, G., Cziegler, I., Kotdes, G. J., 2003, Effects of residential radon on cancer incidence, J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem., 258(3), 519-524. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:JRNC.0000011745.88739.53
- Lubin, J. H., Boice, Jr, J. D., 1997, Lung cancer risk from redidential radon: Meta-analysis of eight epidemiologic studies, J. Natl. Cancer Inst., 89, 49-57. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/89.1.49
- National Research Council (NRC), 1999, Committee on health risks of exposure to radon, board on radiation effects research, Commission on Life Sciences, Health Effects of Exposure to Radon (BEIR-6). Washington, DC: National Academy Press.
- Neuberger, J. S., Gesell, T. F., 2002, Residential radon exposure and lung cancer: Risk in nonsmokers, Health Phys., 8(1), 1-18.
- Pinel, J., Fearn, T., Darby, S. C., Miles, J. C. H., 1995, Seasonal correction factors for indoor radon measurements in the United Kingdom, Radiation Protection Dosimetry, 58(2), 127-132.
- Singh, A. K., Kumar, A., Prasad, R., 2006, Distribution of radon levels in Udaipur, Asian Journial of Chemistry, 18(5), 3408-3411.
- UNSCEAR (United Nations Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation), 2000, Sources and effects of ionizing radiation, UNSCEAR 2000 Report to the General Assembly with Scientific Annexes, United Nations, New York.
- UNSCEAR (United Nations Scientific committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation), 2009, Effects of ionizing radiation, Volume II, Annex E: Sources-to-effects assessment of radon in homes and workplaces, UNSCEAR 2006 Report, New York, United Nations, Available at http//www.unscear.org
- Webb GA, 1992, Exposure to radon, Radiat. Prot. Dosim., 42(3), 191-195.
- WHO (World Health Organization), 2005, Fact sheet No. 291: Radon and Cnacer, Available at http//www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs291/en/index.html
- WHO (World Health Organization), 2009, WHO Handbook on Indoor Radon Available at http//www.whqibdoc.who.int/publications/2009/9789241547673_eng.pdf
- Indoor Radon and Lung Cancer: Estimation of Attributable Risk, Disease Burden, and Effects of Mitigation vol.59, pp.9, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3349/ymj.2018.59.9.1123
- Estimation of Seasonal Correction Factors for Indoor Radon Concentrations in Korea vol.15, pp.10, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph15102251
- Indoor radon concentration in Korea residential environments vol.25, pp.13, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-018-1531-3