- Volume 25 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
A Study on Temporal-Spatial Water Exchange Characteristics in Gamak Bay using a Method for Calculating Residence Time and Flushing Time
체류시간과 교체시간 계산을 통한 가막만의 시·공간적 해수교환 특성 연구
- Kim, Jin Ho (Marine Environment Research Division, National Institute of Fisheries Science) ;
- Lee, Won Chan (Marine Environment Research Division, National Institute of Fisheries Science) ;
- Hong, Sok Jin (Marine Environment Research Division, National Institute of Fisheries Science) ;
- Park, Jung Hyun (Marine Environment Research Division, National Institute of Fisheries Science) ;
- Kim, Chung Sook (Marine Environment Research Division, National Institute of Fisheries Science) ;
- Jung, Woo Sung (Marine Environment Research Division, National Institute of Fisheries Science) ;
- Kim, Dong-Myung (Department of Ecological Engineering, Pukyong National University)
- 김진호 (국립수산과학원 어장환경과) ;
- 이원찬 (국립수산과학원 어장환경과) ;
- 홍석진 (국립수산과학원 어장환경과) ;
- 박정현 (국립수산과학원 어장환경과) ;
- 김청숙 (국립수산과학원 어장환경과) ;
- 정우성 (국립수산과학원 어장환경과) ;
- 김동명 (부경대학교 생태공학과)
- Received : 2016.05.11
- Accepted : 2016.06.28
- Published : 2016.08.31
The concepts of residence time and flushing time can be used to explain the exchange and transport of water or materials in a coastal sea. The application of these transport time scales are widespread in biological, hydrological, and geochemical studies. The water quality of the system crucially depends on the residence time and flushing time of a particle in the system. In this study, the residence and flushing time in Gamak Bay were calculated using the numerical model, EFDC, which includes a particle tracking module. The average residence time was 55 days in the inner bay, and the flushing time for Gamak Bay was about 44.8 days, according to the simulation. This means that it takes about 2 months for land and aquaculture generated particles to be transported out of Gamak Bay, which can lead to substances accumulating in the bay. These results show the relationships between the transport time scale and physical the properties of the embayment. The findings of this study will improves understanding of the water and material transport processes in Gamak Bay and will be important when assessing the potential impact of coastal development on water quality conditions.
Residence time;Flushing time;Gamak bay;Water exchange
Supported by : 국립수산과학원
- Abdelrhman, M. A., 2005, Simplified modeling of flushing and residence time in 42 embayments in New England, USA, with spacial attention to Greenwich Bay, Rhode Island, Estuarine Coastal Shelf Sci., 62(1-2), 339-351. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2004.09.021
- Cavalvante, G. H., Kjerfve, B., Feary, D. A., 2012, Examination of residence time and its relevance to water quality within a coastal mega-structure: The Palm Jumeirah Lagoon, J. Hydrol., 468-469, 111-119. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2012.08.027
- Choi, K. W., Lee, J. H. W., 2004, Numerical determination of flushing time for stratified water bodies, J. Mar. Syst., 50(3-4), 263-281. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmarsys.2004.04.005
- Craig, P. M., 2009, Implementation of a Lagrangian particle tracking sub-model for the environmental fluid dynamics code, Dynamic Solutions-International, LLC, Knoxville, TN, USA.
- Guo, Q., Lordi, G., 2000, Method for quantifying freshwater input and flushing time in estuaries, J. Environ. Eng., 126(7), 675-683. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9372(2000)126:7(675)
- Hamrick, J. M., 1992, A three-dimensional environmental fluid dynamics computer code: Theorectical and computational aspects, The College of William and Mary, VIMS, Special report 317.
- Kang, H. J., Chough, S. K., 1982, Gamagyang Bay, southern coast of Korea: Sedimentation on a tide-dominated rocky embayment, Mar. Geol., 48(3-4), 197-214. https://doi.org/10.1016/0025-3227(82)90097-4
- Kang, H., Kim, J. G., 2006, The estimation of environmental capacity in the Gamak bay using an eco-hydrodynamic model, J. Env. Sci. intern., 15(10), 951-960. https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2006.15.10.951
- Kargi, F., Uygur, A., 2004, Hydraulic residence time effects in biological nutrient removal using five-step sequencing batch reactor, Enzyme Microb. Technol., 35(2-3), 167-172. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enzmictec.2004.04.013
- Kenov, I. A., Garcia, A. C., Neves, R., 2012, Residence time of water in the Mondego estuary (Portugal), Estuarine, Coastal Shelf Sci., 106, 13-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2012.04.008
- Kim, D. M., 2005, Ecological modeling for estimation of a transport and distribution of COD in Kamak Bay, J. Env. Sci. intern., 14(9), 835-842. https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2005.14.9.835
- Kim, J. B., Lee, S. Y., Yoo, J., Choi, Y. H., Jung, C. S., Lee, P. Y., 2006, The characteristics of oxygen deficient water mass in Gamak Bay, J. Korean Soc. Mar. Environ. Energy, 9(4), 216-224.
- Lee, M. O., Kim, B. K., Park, S. J., Kim, J. K., 2005, Some physical characteristics of Gamak bay observed in October and November of year 2004, J. Korean Soc. Mar. Environ. Energy, 8(4), 165-173.
- Lee, K. H., Cho, K. D., 1990, Distributions of the temperature and salinity in Kamak Bay, Kor. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci., 23, 25-39.
- Lee, D. S., Kim, Y. S., Jung, S. Y., Kang, C. K., Lee, W. J., 2008, Environmental characteristics and distributions of marine bacteria in the surface sediments of Kamak Bay in winter and summer, J. Env. Sci. intern., 17(7), 755-765. https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2008.17.7.755
- MOF, 2013, A study on improvement of a system of production stage health control for extermination of poor fishery products, 375.
- Monsen, N. E., Cloern, J. E., Lucas, L. V., Monismith, S. G., 2002, A comment on the use of flushing time, residence time, and age as transport time scales, Limnol. Oceanogr., 47(5), 1545-1553. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.2002.47.5.1545
- Noh, I. H., Yoon, Y. H., Kim, D. I., Park, J. S., 2006, The spatio-temporal distribution of organic matter on the surface sediment and its origin in Gamak Bay, Korea, J. Korean Soc. Mar. Environ. Energy, 9(1), 1-13.
- Park, S. E., Hong, S. J., Lee, W. C., 2009, Calculating average residence time distribution using a particle tracking model, J. Ocean Eng. Tech., 23(2), 47-52.
- Park, S. E., Lee, W. C., Hong, S. J., Kim, H. C., Kim, J. H., 2011, Variation in residence time of pollutants over a tidal cycle in Masan Bay, J. Korean Soc. Mar. Environ. Energy, 14(4), 249-256. https://doi.org/10.7846/JKOSMEE.2011.14.4.249
- Wan, Y., Qiu, C., Doering, P., Ashton, M., Sun, D., Coly, T., 2013, Modeling residnece time with a three-dimensional hydrodynamic model: Likage with chlorophyll a in a subtropical estuary, Ecol. Modell., 268, 93-102. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2013.08.008
- Yoo, S. C., Suh, S. W., Lee, H. Y., 2012, Impacts on residence time and water quality of the Saemangeum reservoir caused by inner development, J. Korean Soc. Mar. Environ. Energy, 15(3), 186-197. https://doi.org/10.7846/JKOSMEE.2012.15.3.186
- Yoon, S. P., Jung, R. H., Kim, Y. J., Kim, S. S., Lee, J. S., Park, J. S., Lee, W. C., Choi, W. J., 2007, Characteristics of benthic environment and polychaete communities of Gamak Bay, Korea, J. Korean Soc. Oceanogr., 12(4), 287-304.