- Volume 2 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Network-based Locator-Identifier Separation Scheme using DHT in SDN
SDN환경에서 DHT를 이용한 네트워크 기반 위치자-식별자 분리 기술
- Lee, Chan-Haeng (College of Information, Korea University) ;
- Min, Sung-Gi (College of Information, Korea University) ;
- Choi, Chang-Won (Division of Computer Engineering, Hanshin University)
- Received : 2016.06.23
- Published : 2016.06.30
An IP address is used as a host identifier and a locator to bind hosts and applications to their location in existing Internet. Several protocols are proposed to eliminate this binding. Most of these protocols use IPv6-based host identifiers to maintain compatibility with existing Internet, but these identifiers cannot be handled by standard IPv6 routers because such identifiers are unroutable. Therefore, host identifiers need to be usually converted to locators at hosts, and the standard IPv6 protocol should be modified to interoperate with these protocols. In this paper, we propose a network-based host identifier locator separating scheme in software-defined networking. The proposed scheme separates the underlying network into Host Identity and IP domains in order to directly forward unroutable identifiers. The Host Identity domain operates as an overlaid network over IP domain, and it makes the unroutable identifiers to be routable using distributed hash table based routing strategy. For the evaluation, we compared the proposed scheme with the previous scheme using signaling costs and packet delivery costs. The result shows that the proposed scheme is more suitable in the recent mobile-based environments.
- R. Moskowitz, P. Nikander, P. Jokela, ed., T. Henderson, Host Identity Protocol, IETF, RFC 5201, 2008.
- E. Nordmark, M. Bagnulo, shim6: Level 3 Multihoming Shim Protocol for IPv6, IETF, RFC 5533, 2009.
- D. Farinacci, V. Fuller, D. Meyer, D. Lewis, The Locator/ID Separation Protocol(LISP), IETF, RFC 6830, 2013.
- H. Luo, Y. Qin, H. Zhang, A DHT-Based Identifierto-Locator Mapping Approach for a Scalable Internet, IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, vol.20, issue 12, pp. 1790-1802, Dec. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPDS.2009.30
- ONF White Paper, Software-Defined Networking: The New Norm for Networks, https://www.opennetworking.org/images/stories/downloads/sdnresources/white-papers/wp-sdn-newnorm.pdf, Open Networking Foundation.
- S. Ratnasamy, P. Francis, M. Handley, R. Karp, S. Shenker, A scalable content-addressable network, SIGCOMM'01 , pp. 161-172, Aug. 2001.
- Open Networking Foundation, OpenFlow Switch Specification Version 1.3.0 (Wire Protocol 0x04), Jun. 2012.
- H. Kang, J. Kim, S. Koh, DHT-based Identifier-Locator Mapping Management for Mobile Oriented Future Internet, 18th Asia-Pacific Conference on Communications (APCC), pp. 786-791, Oct. 2012.
- J. Kim, H. Jung, S. Koh, Mobile Oriented Future Internet(MOFI):Architectureal Design and Implementations, ETRI Journal, vol.35, no.4 pp. 666-676, Aug. 2013. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.13.1812.0064
- P. Nikander, J. Laganier, F. Dupont, An IPv6 Prefix for Overlay Routable Cryptographic Hash Identifiers(ORCHID), IETF, RFC 4843, 2007.
- S. Deering, R. Hinden, Internet Protocol, Version 6(IPv6), IETF, RFC 2460, 1998.
- S. Thomson, T. Narten, T. Jinmei, IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration, IETF, RFC 4862, 2007.
- J. Lee, T. Chung, and S. Gundavelli, A Comparative Signaling Cost Analysis of Hierarchical Mobile IPv6 and Proxy Mobile IPv6, IEEE 19th International Symposium, Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications, pp. 1-6, Sep. 2008.