- Volume 52 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Fishing gear and method and improvement of regulation of the middle sized trawl fishery in the East Sea of Korea
동해구중형트롤어업의 어구어법 및 제도 개선에 관한 연구
- JANG, Choong-Sik (Department of Maritime Police and Production System, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- SONG, Won-Sang (Institute of Marine Industry, College of Marine Science, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- KANG, Myoung-hee (Department of Maritime Police and Production System, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- CHO, Youn-Hyoung (Institute of Marine Industry, College of Marine Science, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- KIM, Bo-Yeon (Institute of Marine Industry, College of Marine Science, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- AN, Young-Su (Department of Maritime Police and Production System, Gyeongsang National University)
- 장충식 (경상대학교 해양경찰시스템학과) ;
- 송원상 (경상대학교 해양생산공학과) ;
- 강명희 (경상대학교 해양경찰시스템학과) ;
- 조윤형 (경상대학교 해양생산공학과) ;
- 김보연 (경상대학교 해양생산공학과) ;
- 안영수 (경상대학교 해양경찰시스템학과)
- Received : 2016.05.10
- Accepted : 2016.05.31
- Published : 2016.05.31
This study attempted to help determine Korean fishery policies by proposing improvement plans after examining the current regulations, fishing vessels, fishing gear and fishing methods of the middle sized trawl fishery in the East Sea for targeting only squid. In general, the size, engine horse power, and net length of the middle sized trawlers are between 50 and 60 GT, 1,200 and 1,600 PS, and approximately 165 m with four seamed trawl nets, respectively. While a jigging vessel attracted squids using lights, the trawler approached a jigging vessel. The trawler let the jigging vessel know its decision for fishing, and then jigging vessel rolled up jigs. The net of the trawler was casted at 45 degrees between the bow and the stern of the jigging vessel. Once the trawler towed close to the stern of the jigging vessel upon its passing of the jigging vessel, the bow of the trawler turned 45 degrees left again. Then, squid aggregations were entered into the net. When the cod end was passed a light vessel, the trawler hoisted the net up to the otter board. Then the trawler turned 180 degrees. It repeated three to five times of fishing operations as the previous method. We recommend that the regulations allow nineteen side trawlers to catch like stern trawler, as well as the cooperative trawler and jigging vessel operations.
Regulation;Middle sized trawl;Jigging vessel;Light vessel
- Kim YH and Kang YJ. 1995. Population analysis of the common squid, Todarodes pacificus steenstrup in korea waters 1. Separation of population. J Korean Fish Soc 28(2), 163-173.
- Fisheries information portal. 2013, 2014, 2015. Fisheries production statistics.
- National law information center, 2015. Fishery resources management act, Act No.13495, http://law.go.kr. 11. Aug, 2015, Partial Amendment.
- NIFS. 2010, 2013. Ecology and fishing ground of fisheries resources in Korean waters. http://www.nifs.go.kr.
- Ryu KJ, Lee YW and Kim HS. 2015. A change of rigging method for purse seine gear of Korean tuna purse seine fishery in the western and Central Pacific Ocean. J Korean Soc Fish Technol, 51(1), 50-60. (DOI:10.3796/KSFT.2015.51.1.050) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2015.51.1.050
- Song HJ, Beack GW, Kim SA and Huh SH. 2006. Feeding habit of Todarodes pacificus in coastal waters of busan, Korea. J Korean Fish Soc 39(1), 42-48. http://fei.suhyup.co.kr. 2013-2015. Fisheries management research report.