- Volume 52 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Changes in fishing characteristics and distributions of Korean tuna purse seine fishery by oceanographic conditions in the Pacific Ocean
태평양 수역 우리나라 다랑어선망어업의 조업 특성 및 해양환경에 따른 어장 변동
- LEE, Mi-Kyung (Distant Water Fisheries Resources Research Division, National Institute of Fisheries Science) ;
- LEE, Sung-Il (Distant Water Fisheries Resources Research Division, National Institute of Fisheries Science) ;
- LEE, Chun-Woo (Division of Marine Production System Management, Pukyong National University) ;
- KIM, Zang-Geun (Distant Water Fisheries Resources Research Division, National Institute of Fisheries Science) ;
- KU, Jeong-Eun (Distant Water Fisheries Resources Research Division, National Institute of Fisheries Science)
- 이미경 (국립수산과학원 원양자원과) ;
- 이성일 (국립수산과학원 원양자원과) ;
- 이춘우 (부경대학교 해양생산시스템관리학부) ;
- 김장근 (국립수산과학원 원양자원과) ;
- 구정은 (국립수산과학원 원양자원과)
- Received : 2016.05.18
- Accepted : 2016.05.31
- Published : 2016.05.31
Fishing characteristics of Korean tuna purse seine fishery in the Pacific Ocean were investigated using logbook data compiled from captain onboard and the statistical data from 1980 to 2014. Changes in fishing ground and correlation between marine environmental factors and fishing patterns were investigated using Oceanographic index. The proportion of unassociated set was higher than that of associated set. The catch proportion of yellowfin was higher in the unassociated set, while that of skipjack and bigeye was higher in the associated set. Due to vessels, fishing gears and Korean captains' high-level of skills in fishing technology optimized for the unassociated set and preference of large fishes, especially large yellowfin tuna, it showed unique fishing characteristics focusing on the unassociated set. As for fishing distributions of Korean tuna purse seine fishery and impacts of oceanographic conditions on the fishery, the main fishing ground was concentrated on the area of
Tuna purse seine fishery;Pacific Ocean;Unassociated set;Fishing characteristic;distribution
Grant : 원양어업 자원평가 및 관리 연구
Supported by : 국립수산과학원
- An DH, Moon DY, Koh JR, Cho KD and Kim DS. 2003. Effect of El Nino event on the distribution of Korean tuna purse seine fishery in the western central Pacific Ocean. J Korean Soc Fish Res 6(1), 32-40.
- Bayliff W.H. 1998. Growth of skipjack, Katsuwonus pelamis, and yellowfin, Thunnus albacares, tunas in the eastern Pacific Ocean, as estimated from tagging data. Inter-American Tropical Tuna Commission, Bulletin, 19(4). 307-385.
- Bromhead D, Foster J, Attard R, Findlay J and Kalish J. 2003. A review of the impact of fishing aggregating devices (FADs) on tuna fisheries, Final report to the Fisheries Resources Research Fund. Bureau of Rural Science, Canberra, Australia.
- Hyun JS, Lee BG, Kim HS and Yae YH. 1992. Development of Tuna Purse Seine fishery in Korea and Countries Concerned. Korean Soc Fish Mar Sci Edu 4(1), 30-46.
- Itano D, Fukofuka S and Brogan D. 2004. The development, design and recent status of anchored and drifting FADs in the WCPO. 17th Meeting of the Standing Committee on Tuna and Billfish. Working paper INF-FTWG-3.
- Kumasi B, Usu T, Baje L and Kumoru L. 2010. Preliminary analsys of length frequency for FAD associated catch in the archipelagic waters of Papua New Guinea from port sampling data. WCPFC-SC6-2010/FT-IP-06.
- Lee MK, Lee SI, Kim ZG, Ku JE, Park HW and Yoon SC. 2015. The fishing characteristics of Korean tuna purse seine fishery in the Pacific Ocean. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 51(3), 414-423. (DOI:10.3796/KSFT.2015.51.3.414) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2015.51.3.414
- Lee SI, Kim ZG, Shon HS, Yoo JT, Kim MJ, Lee DW, Kim DN and Moon DY. 2011. Pilot research on species composition of Korean purse catch at cannery. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 47, 390-402. (DOI:10.3796/KSFT.2011.47.4.390) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2011.47.4.390
- Lehodey P. 2000. Impacts of the El Nino Southern Oscillation on tuna populations and fisheries in the tropical Pacific Ocean. Secretariat of the Pacific Community No. RG-1.
- Lehodey P, Bertignac, M, Hampton, J, Lewis A and Picaut J. 1997. El Nino Southern Oscillation and tuna in the western Pacific. Nature. 389(6652), 715-718. https://doi.org/10.1038/39575
- Leroy B, Phillips JS, Nicol S, Pilling GM, Harley S, Bromhead D, Hoyle S, Caillot S, Allain V and Hampton J. 2013. A critique of the ecosystem impacts of drifting and anchored FADs use by purse-seine tuna fisheries in the western and central Pacific Ocean, Aquat Living Resour 26, 49-61. https://doi.org/10.1051/alr/2012033
- Matsumoto WM, Skillman RA and Dizon AE. 1984. Synopsis of biological data on skipjack tuna, Katsuwonus pelamis. FAO Fisheries synopsis no. 136, NOAA Technical Report NMFS Circular 451, 20-21.
- Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries (MOF). 2015. Report on statistical research of Distant Water fisheries in 2015. 16-35.
- Miyake M. Guillotreau P, Sun C-H and Ishimura G. 2010. Recent developments in the tuna industry: stocks, fisheries, management, processing, trade and markets. FAO Fisheries and Aquaculture Technical Paper. 543, 5-9.
- Moon DY, Lee JU and Kim JB. 1996. On the Log-Associated School Fishery of Korean tuna purse seiners. J. Korean Fish Soc 29(2), 197-207.
- Moon DY, Yang WS, Kim SS, Koh JR and Kim EJ. 2005. Characteristics of the Korean tuna purse seine fisheryj in the western and central Pacific Ocean. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 41(4), 263-270. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2005.41.4.263
- NOAA. National Water Service Center(http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/data/indices).
- Park SW. 1984. On the tuna schools associated with the drift objects or animals in the western equatorial Pacific waters. Bull Korean Fish Soc 17(1), 47-54.
- Park YC, Lee JW, Kim JB and Moon DY. 1998. Fishing grounds and fishing efficiency by using of helicopter for the Korean tuna purse seine fishery in the western tropical Pacific Ocean. J Korean Soc Fish Res 1(1), 59-66.
- Ryu KJ, Lee YW and Kim HS. 2015. A change of rigging method for purse seine gear of Korean tuna purse seine fishery in the western and central Pacific Ocean. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 51(1), 50-60. (DOI:10.3796/KSFT.2015.51.1.050) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2015.51.1.050
- Schaefer KM. 1998. Reproductive biology of yellowfin tuna (Thunnus albacares) in the eastern Pacific Ocean. Inter-American Tropical Tuna Commission, Bull 21(5), 205-221.
- UCAR. Climata Data Guide(http://climatedataguide.ucar.edu/climate-data/multivariate-enso-index).
- Williams P and Terawasi P. 2015. Overview of tuna fisheries in the western and central Pacific Ocean, including economic conditions-2014. WPCFC SC11-2015/GNWP-1 rev.1.