- Volume 52 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Frequency responses of anchovy schools in the South Sea of South Korea in spring and winter
춘계와 동계에 남해안 멸치어군의 주파수 반응 특성
- PARK, Junseong (Department of Maritime Police and Production System / The institute of Marine Industry, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- SEO, Young-Il (Coastal Water Fisheries Resources Research Division, National Institute of Fisheries Science) ;
- JANG, Choong-Sik (Department of Maritime Police and Production System / The institute of Marine Industry, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- PARK, Byung-Soo (Department of Maritime Police and Production System / The institute of Marine Industry, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- PARK, Sang-Sik (Department of Maritime Police and Production System / The institute of Marine Industry, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- AN, Young-Su (Department of Maritime Police and Production System / The institute of Marine Industry, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- PARK, Junsu (Department of Maritime Police and Production System, Gyeongsang National University / Southeast Fisheries Research Institute, National Institute of Fisheries Science) ;
- KANG, Myounghee (Department of Maritime Police and Production System / The institute of Marine Industry, Gyeongsang National University)
- 박준성 (경상대학교 해양경찰시스템학과 / 해양산업연구소) ;
- 서영일 (국립수산과학원 연근해자원과) ;
- 장충식 (경상대학교 해양경찰시스템학과 / 해양산업연구소) ;
- 박병수 (경상대학교 해양경찰시스템학과 / 해양산업연구소) ;
- 박상식 (경상대학교 해양경찰시스템학과 / 해양산업연구소) ;
- 안영수 (경상대학교 해양경찰시스템학과 / 해양산업연구소) ;
- 박준수 (경상대학교 해양경찰시스템학과 / 국립수산과학원 남동해연구소) ;
- 강명희 (경상대학교 해양경찰시스템학과 / 해양산업연구소)
- Received : 2016.03.17
- Accepted : 2016.05.20
- Published : 2016.05.31
Acoustic surveys using a scientific echosounder and trawl surveys were concurrently carried out in between Geoje and Tongyeong of the South Sea by season. The anchovy schools were identified by trawling in each station and used for frequency response analysis. Frequency responses of anchovy schools by season and species composition ratio were examined using multi-frequencies (18, 38, 70, 120 and 200 kHz). The frequency response r(f), is one of the acoustic characteristics which means the volume back-scattering strength ratio between a reference frequency and other frequencies. In spring, the r(f) of anchovy schools decreased with increased frequency, with the exception of 120kHz. While, in winter, the r(f) continuously decreased inversely proportional to the increase in frequency. Frequency response of anchovy schools presented a distinctive difference between spring and winter, however it did not different in spife of different species composition ratios in schools.
Frequency response;Multi-frequency;Anchovy;South Sea
Supported by : 국립수산과학원
- Benoit-Bird KJ. 2009. The effects of scattering-layer composition, animal size, and numerical density on the frequency response of volume backscatter. ICES J Mar Sci: Journal du Conseil 66(3), 582-593. (DOI:10.1093/icesjms/fsp013) https://doi.org/10.1093/icesjms/fsp013
- Berger L, Poncelet C and Trenkel VM. 2009. A method for reducing uncertainty in estimates of fish-school frequency response using data from multifrequency and multibeam echosounders. ICES J Mar Sci: Journal du Conseil, fsp 113, 7. (DOI:10.1093/icesjms/fsp113) https://doi.org/10.1093/icesjms/fsp113
- Cha BY, Kim DK and Seo SH. 2007. Species and abundance variation of fish by a gill net in coastal waters of southern sea, Korea, 2006. Koeran J Ichthyol 19(3), 210-224.
- Cha SS. 1990. Age and growth of anchovy (Engraulis japonica) juvenile in the coastal waters of Chonnam, Korea. Korean J Fish Aquat Sci 23, 385-393.
- Choo HS and Kim DS. 1998. The effect of variations in the Tsushima warm currents on the egg and larval transport of anchovy in the Southern Sea of Korea. Korean J Fish Aquat Sci 31, 226-244.
- Foote KG, Knudsen HP and Vestnes G. 1987. Calibration of acoustic instruments for fish density estimation: a practical guide. ICES Cooperative research report, 69.
- Han KH and Oh YS. 2007. Fluctuation in abundance and species composition of fishes by bottom otter trawl in coastal waters of Geumodo, Yeosu. J Kor Soc Fish Technol 43, 251-260. (DOI:10.3796/ksft.2007.43.4.251) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2007.43.4.251
- Jech JM and Horne JK. 2001. Effects of in situ target spatial distributions on acoustic density estimates. ICES J Mar Sci 58, 123-136. (DOI:10.1006/jmsc.2000.0996) https://doi.org/10.1006/jmsc.2000.0996
- Kaltenberg AM and Benoit-bird KJ. 2013. Intra-patch clustering in mysid swarms revealed through multifrequency acoustics. ICES J Mar Sci 70(4), 883-891. (DOI:10.1093/icesjms/fst034) https://doi.org/10.1093/icesjms/fst034
- Kang M, Furusawa M and Miyashita K. 2002. Effective and accurate use of difference in mean volume backscattering strength to identify fish and plankton. ICES J Mar Sci 59, 794-804. (DOI:10.1006/jmsc.2002.1229) https://doi.org/10.1006/jmsc.2002.1229
- Kim JG, Choi YM, Hwang GS and Yoon GD. 1998. Study on the acoustic behaviour pattern of fish school and species identification 1. Shoal behaviour pattern of anchovy (Engraulis japonicus) in Korean waters and species identification test. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 34, 52-61.
- Kim MS, Kim DS, Kim MS and Lee JG. 2010. A variation of fishes catched by the bottom trawl in the boundary zone between Busan and Tsushima. J Fish Mar Sci Edu 22, 341-353.
- Kim SH and Pang IC. 2005. Distribution and characteristic of transport mechanism of eggs and larvae of anchovy, Engraulis japonica, in the southwestern sea of Korea in July and November, 2001. Korean J Fish Aquat Sci 38, 331-341.
- Ko JC, Seo YI, Kim HY, Lee SK, Cha HK and Kim JI. 2010. Distribution characteristics of eggs and larvae of the anchovy Engraulis japonica in the Yeosu and Tongyeong coastal waters of Korea. Korean J Ichthyol 22, 256-266.
- Ko JC, Yoo JT and Rho HK. 2007. Environmental factors and the distribution of eggs and larvae of the anchovy (Engraulis japonica) in the coastal waters of Jeju Island. Korean J Fish Aquat Sci 40, 394-410. (DOI:10.5657/kfas.2007.40.6.394) https://doi.org/10.5657/kfas.2007.40.6.394
- Korneliussen RJ and Ona E. 2003. Synthetic echograms generated from the relative frequency response. ICES J Mar Sci 60, 636-640. (DOI:10.1016/s1054-3139(03)00035-3) https://doi.org/10.1016/S1054-3139(03)00035-3
- Lee CI and Kim HJ. 2007. Effect of temperature on anchovy catch and laver production in the eastern part of the South Sea of Korea. J Envrion Sci 16(8), 897-906.
- Lee JB, Oh TY, Yeon I, Kim BY, Shin HO, Hwang BK, Lee KH and Lee YW. 2012. Estimation of demersal fish biomass using hydroacoustic and catch data in the marine ranching area (MRA) of Jeju. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 48, 128-136. (DOI:10.3796/ksft.2012.48.2.128) https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2012.48.2.128
- Pedersen G, Korneliussen RJ and Ona E. 2004. The relative frequency response, as derived from individually separated targets on cod, saithe and Norway pout. ICES CM documents 2004/R:16.
- Seo YJ and Kim DS. 1999. Distribution of anchovy school catched by the lift net and environmental factors in the Kamak Bay. 1. Relation between distribution of anchovy school and temperature and salinity. Bull Korean Soc Fish Tech 35(3), 267-276.
- Shelton PA, Armstrong MJ and Roel BA. 1993. An overview of the application of the daily egg production method in the assessment and management of anchovy in the Southeast Atlantic. Bull Mar Sci 53, 778-794.
- Shin HH, Hwang DJ and Kim YJ. 2002. Studies on the distribution of fisheries resources by bottom trawling in the Yellow Sea. J Korean Soc Fish Technol 38, 129-139. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2002.38.2.129
- Statistics Korea. 2015. Fishery Production Survey. Statistical data base.