- Volume 52 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Escape response of juvenile seabream with rockfish from the separating model codend in tank experiments
- KIM, Yonghae (Institute of Marine Industry, Department of Marine Production technology, College of Marine Science, Gyeongsang National University)
- Received : 2016.04.21
- Accepted : 2016.05.27
- Published : 2016.05.31
Most grid sorting has been used to sort out flatfish in shrimp fisheries, while double grid systems have been tested to separate smaller shrimp. The escape of juvenile red seabream through separating panels made with steel grids or large mesh tested for masking effects in a two-species system. Fish behavior was observed in a circulating water tank. The escape rate was 20% greater with the separating codends than with the normal codend in the single-species experiments. The rates in the two-species experiments were 30% or 20% greater than the single-species rates for the normal or separating codends, respectively. The seabream retention rates in the grid separator codend decreased as rockfish retention increased, possibly due to a threat effect. Conversely, the retention rate of both species increased concurrently in the net separator, possibly due to a masking effect. The escape rates of juvenile red seabream varied by compartment in the mesh separating codend. These results suggest that grid separating codends can be used in the field as towed fishing gear to reduce juvenile catch.
Model codend;Grid and mesh separator;Juvenile fish;Retention rate
Supported by : Korea Research Foundation
- Broadhurst MK. 2000. Modifications to reduce by-catch in prawn trawls: A review and framework for development. Rev in Fish Biol and Fisher 10, 27-60. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008936820089
- Broadhurst MK and Millar RB. 2009. Square-mesh codend circumference and selectivity. ICES J Mar Sci. 66, 566-572. (DOI:10.1093/icesjms/fsp001) https://doi.org/10.1093/icesjms/fsp001
- Chopin F and Suuronen P. 2009. The development of international guidelines on bycatch management and reduction of discards. ICES CM 2009/M:01. ICES ASC 2009, Sept. 21-25, Berlin, Germany.
- Graham KJ, Broadhurst MK and Millar RB. 2009. Effects of cod-end circumference and twine diameter on selection in south-eastern Australian fish trawls. Fish Res 95, 341-349. (DOI:10.1016/j.fishres.2008.10.001) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fishres.2008.10.001
- Grimaldo E, Larsen RB and Holst R. 2007. Exit windows as an alternative selectivity system for Barents Sea Demersal Fishery for cod and haddock. Fish Res 85, 295-305. (DOI:10.1016/j.fishres.2007.03.005) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fishres.2007.03.005
- Hannah RW and Jones SA. 2012. Evaluating the behavioral impairment of escaping fish can help measure the effectness of bycatch reduction devices. Fish Res 131, 39-44. (DOI:10.1016/j.fishres.2012.07.010) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fishres.2012.07.010
- He P and Balzano V. 2007. Reducing the catch of small shrimp in the Gulf of Maine pink shrimp fishery with a sizesorting grid device. ICES J Mar Sci 64, 1551-1557. (DOI:10.1093/icesjms/fsm098) https://doi.org/10.1093/icesjms/fsm098
- He P and Balzano V. 2011. Rope grid: A new grid design to further reduce finfish bycatch in the Gulf of Maine pink shrimp fishery. Fish Res 111, 100-107. ( DOI:10.1016/j.fishres.2011.07.001) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fishres.2011.07.001
- He P and Balzano V. 012. The effect of grid spacing on size selectivity of shrimps in a pink shrimp trawl with a dual-grid size sorting system. Fish Res 121, 81-87. (DOI:10.1016/j.fishres.2012.01.012) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fishres.2012.01.012
- Issksen B, Valdemarsen JW, Larsen RB and Karlsen L. 1992. Reduction of fish by-catch in shrimp trawl using a rigid separator grid in the aft belly. Fish Res 13, 335-352. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-7836(92)90086-9
- Jones EG, Summerbell K and O'Neill FG. 2008. The influence of towing speed and fish density on the behaviour of haddock in a trawl cod-end. Fish Res 94, 166-174. (DOI:10.1016/j.fishres.2008.06.010) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fishres.2008.06.010
- Kim YH. 2011. Effects on the escapement of juvenile bastard halibut Paralichthys olivaceus of actively stimulating devices inside a model codend. Fis Aquat Sci 14, 62-69.
- Kim YH. 2015. Escape response of juvenile fish by the shaking of a codend using a cap-like canvas in tank experiments. Fish Res 161, 273-279. ( DOI:10.1016/j.fishres.2014.08.012) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fishres.2014.08.012
- Kim YH, Wardle CS and An YS. 2008. Herding and escaping responses of juvenile roundfish to square mesh window in a trawl cod end. Fish Sci 74, 1-7. (DOI:10.1111/j.1444-2906.2007.01490.x) https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1444-2906.2007.01490.x
- Kim YH and Whang DS. 2010. An actively stimulating net panel and rope array inside a model cod-end to increase juvenile red seabream escapement. Fish Res 106, 71-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fishres.2010.07.005
- Kim YH and Whang DS. 2011. Effects of the net contrast of a model cod-end on the escapement of juvenile red seabream Pagurus major. Fish Aqua Sci 14, 130-137.
- Madsen N and Valentinsson D. 2010. Use of selective devices in trawls to support recovery of the Kattegat cod stock: a review of experiments and experience. ICES J Mar Sci 67, 2042-2050. (DOI:10.1093/icesjms/fsq153) https://doi.org/10.1093/icesjms/fsq153
- Massuti E, Ordines F and Guijarro B. 2009. Efficiency of flexible sorting grids to improve size selectivity of the bottom trawl in the Balearic Islands (western Mediterranean), with comparison to a change in mesh codend geometry. J Appl Ichthyol 25, 153-161. (DOI:10.1111/j.1439-0426.2009.01225.x) https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0426.2009.01225.x
- Matsushita Y. 2000. Bycatch reduction technologies for towed fishing gears. Nip Sui Gak. 66, 261-268. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.66.261
- Matsushita Y, Fujita K, Ikegami N and Ohata S. 2004. Reaction of juvenile flounder to grid separators. ICES J Mar Sci 61, 1174-1178. (DOI:10.1016/j.icesjms.2004.06.013) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.icesjms.2004.06.013
- Ohata S, Ikegami N, Nakamura F, Fujita K and Matsushita Y. 2008. Selectivity of grid separator with horizontal bars for beam trawl fishery in Tokyo Bay. Nip Sui Gak 74, 8-13. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.74.8
- O'Neill FG, Graham N, Kynoch RJ, Ferro RST, Kunzlik PA and Fryer RJ. 2008. The effect of varying cod-end circumference, inserting a 'flexi-grid' or inserting a Bacoma type panel on the selectivity of North Sea haddock and saithe. Fish Res 94, 175-183. (DOI:10.1016/j.fishres.2008.06.007) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fishres.2008.06.007
- O'Neill FG, McKay SJ, Ward JN, Strickland A, Kynoch RJ and Zuur AF. 2003. An investigation of the relationship between sea state induced vessel motion and cod-end selection. Fish Res 60, 107-130. (DOI:10.1016/S0165-7836(02)00056-5) https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-7836(02)00056-5
- Sea Grant. 2014. Fisheries Bycatch- Global issues and creative solutions. 29th Lowell Wakerfield fisheries symposium. May 13-16, 2014. Anchorage. Alaska. USA. Program and Abstracts. 106.
- Tokac A, Ozbilgin H and Tosunoglu Z. 2004. Effect of PA and PE material on codend selectivity in Turkish bottom trawl. Fish Res 67, 317-327. (DOI:10.1016/j.fishres.2003.10.001) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fishres.2003.10.001
- Wardle CS. 1993. Fish behaviour and fishing gear. In: Behaviour of Teleost Fishes. 2nd ed. Pitcher TJ, editor. Chapman & Hall, London, UK, 609-644.