- Volume 36 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Detection of Foodborne Pathogens and Mycotoxins in Eggs and Chicken Feeds from Farms to Retail Markets
- Lee, Minhwa ;
- Seo, Dong Joo ;
- Jeon, Su Been ;
- Ok, Hyun Ee ;
- Jung, Hyelee ;
- Choi, Changsun ;
- Chun, Hyang Sook
- Received : 2016.04.30
- Accepted : 2016.06.26
- Published : 2016.08.31
Contamination by foodborne pathogens and mycotoxins was examined in 475 eggs and 20 feed samples collected from three egg layer farms, three egg-processing units, and five retail markets in Korea. Microbial contamination with Salmonella species, Escherichia coli, and Arcobacter species was examined by bacterial culture and multiplex polymerase chain reaction (PCR). The contamination levels of aflatoxins, ochratoxins, and zearalenone in eggs and chicken feeds were simultaneously analyzed with high-performance liquid chromatography coupled with fluorescence detection after the post-derivatization. While E. coli was isolated from 9.1% of eggs, Salmonella species were not isolated. Arcobacter species were detected in 0.8% of eggs collected from egg layers by PCR only. While aflatoxins, ochratoxins, and zearalenone were found in 100%, 100%, and 85% of chicken feeds, their contamination levels were below the maximum acceptable levels (1.86, 2.24, and 147.53 μg/kg, respectively). However, no eggs were contaminated with aflatoxins, ochratoxins, or zearalenone. Therefore, the risk of contamination by mycotoxins and microbes in eggs and chicken feeds is considered negligible and unlikely to pose a threat to human health.
- Amirkhizi, B., Arefhosseini, S. R., Ansarina, M., and Nemati, M. (2015) Aflatoxin B1 in eggs and chicken livers by dispersive liquid-liquid microextraction and HPLC. Food Addit. Contam. Part B 8, 245-249.
- Greco, M. V., Franchi, M. L., Golba, S. L. R., Pardo, A. G., and Pose, G. N. (2014) Mycotoxins and mycotoxigenic fungi in poultry feed for food-producing animals. Sci. World J. 14, 1-9.
- Danicke, S., Ueberschar, K. H., Halle, I., Matthes, S., Valenta, H., and Flachowsky, G. (2002) Effect of addition of a detoxifying agent to laying hen diets containing uncontaminated or Fusarium toxin-contaminated maize on performance of hens and on carryover of zearalenone. Poult. Sci. 81, 1671-1680. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/81.11.1671
- Douidah, L., De Zutter, L., Bare, J., and Houf, K. (2014) Towards a typing strategy for Arcobacter species isolated from humans and animals and assessment of the in vitro genomic stability. Foodborne Pathog. Dis.11, 272-280. https://doi.org/10.1089/fpd.2013.1661
- European Commission (EC) (2006) Directive 2002/32/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 7 May 2002 on undesirable substances in animal feed.
- Greig, J. D. and Ravel, A. (2009) Analysis of foodborne outbreak data reported internationally for source attribution. Int. J. Food Microbiol.130, 77-87. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2008.12.031
- Health Canada (2000) Risk assessment model for Salmonella Enteritidis. Unpublished Health Canada Document.
- Herzallah, S. M. (2009) Determination of aflatoxins in eggs, milk, meat and meat products using HPLC fluorescent and UV detectors. Food Chem.114, 1141-1146. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2008.10.077
- Iqbal, S. Z, Nisar, S., Asi, M. R., and Jinap, S. (2014) Natural incidence of aflatoxins, ochratoxin A and zearalenone in chicken meat and eggs. Food Control 43, 98-103. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2014.02.046
- Jang, H.-S., Jo, H.-J., Lee, K.-E., and Lee, C. (2007a) Survey of the presence of aflatoxins in compound feeds and feed ingredients. Korean J. Fd Hyg. Safety 22, 346-352.
- Lee, H. W., Hong, C. H., and Jung, B. Y. (2007) Characteristics of Salmonella spp. isolated from poultry carcasses. Korean J. Vet. Serv. 30, 339-351.
- Jang, H.-S., Kim, D.-H., Lee, K.-E., and Lee, C. (2007b) Survey of the presence of ochratoxin A in compound feeds and feed ingredients distributed in Korea. Korean J. Fd Hyg. Safety 22, 353-358.
- Jia, R., Ma, Q., Fan, Y., Ji, C., Zhang, J., Liu, T., and Zhao, L. (2016) The toxic effects of combined aflatoxins and zearalenone in naturally contaminated diets on laying performance, egg quality and mycotoxins residues in eggs of layers and the protective effect of Bacillus subtilis biodegradation product. Food Chem. Toxicol. 90, 142-150. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2016.02.010
- Kim, Y. J., Song, B. R., Lim, J. S., Heo, E. J., Park, H. J., Wee, S. H., Oh, S. M., and Moon, J. S. (2013) First report on isolation of Salmonella Enteritidis from eggs at grocery stores in Korea. Korean J. Food Sci. An. 33, 239-243. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2013.33.2.239
- Lee, M. H. Cheon, D. S., Choi, S., Lee, B. H., Jung, J. Y., and Choi, C. (2010) Prevalence of Arcobacter species isolated from retail meats in Korea. J. Food Prot. 73, 1313-1316. https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X-73.7.1313
- Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (MAFRA) (2010) Control of livestock and fish feed act. (No. 10219).
- Ok, H. E., Chung, S. H., Lee, N., and Chun, H. S. (2015) Simple high-performance liquid chromatography method for the simultaneous analysis of aflatoxins, ochratoxin A, and zearalenone in dried and ground red pepper. J. Food Prot. 78, 1226-1231. https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X.JFP-14-451
- Thirumala-devi, K., Mayo, M. A., Reddy, G., and Reddy, D. V. R. (2002) Occurrence of aflatoxin and ochratoxin A in Indian poultry feeds. J. Food Prot. 65, 1338-1340. https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X-65.8.1338
- USDA-FSIS (1998) Salmonella Enteritidis Risk Assessment. Shell Eggs and Egg Products. Final Report. Prepared for FSIS by the Salmonella Enteritidis Risk Assessment Team. 268 pp. Available from: www.fsis.usda.gov/ophs/risk/contents.htm. Accessed [7 January 2016].
- World Health Organization (WHO) (2002) Risk assessment of Salmonella in eggs and broiler chickens. World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland.
Grant : BK21플러스
Supported by : 중앙대학교