- Volume 31 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Disaster Management R&D of the US and Japan
미국과 일본의 사례를 통해서 본 재난 분야 정부 R&D의 특징
- Lee, Juyoung (Technology & Regulation Research Center, Science and Technology Policy Institute) ;
- Choi, Sumin (Center for Strategic Foresight, Science and Technology Policy Institute)
- Received : 2016.04.14
- Accepted : 2016.05.12
- Published : 2016.06.30
Through two case studies on the United States and Japan, this research aims to identify the characteristics of disaster management research and thereby provides policy implications for Korea. This paper analyzed government-funded disaster management R&D for each country: the National Science Foundation awarded projects from 2005 to 2015 for the United States, and Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research from 2011 to 2015 managed by the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science for Japan. As a result, four following implications were drawn. 1) pursuit of R&SD(Research & Solution Development) instead of R&D, 2) shift from prevention to life-cycle management, 3) necessity of multidisciplinary research, and 4) emphasis on post-disaster investigation.
R&D;disaster management;hazard mitigation;National Science Foundation;Japan Society for the Promotion of Science
Supported by : 재난안전기술개발사업단
- T. Im, "Government Competitiveness 2015", Moonwoosa, Seoul, p. 237, 2015.
- J. S. Lee and D. M. Choi, "A Study on the Improvement of Chemical Accident Response System in View of the National Disaster Management System", Transactions of Korean Institute of Fire Science and Engineering, Vol. 29, No.5, pp. 73-78, 2015.
- D. K. Kim and J. M. Park, "A Study on the Failure in Building Disaster Management Governance and Weakened Disaster Resilience After the Hebei Spirit''s Oil Spill Incident: Focusing on the Understanding and Responses Among Related Doers", ECO, Vol. 16, No.1, pp. 7-43, 2012.
- KISTEP, 2014 "Technology Level Evaluation", MSIP, 2015.
- MSIP, "Government R&D Investment Direction and Standard 2015", NSTC, 2014.
- MSIP, "Government R&D Investment Direction and Standard 2016", NSTC, 2015.
- MSIP, "Government R&D Investment Direction and Standard 2017(draft)", NSTC, 2016.
- Y. H. Lee, "Disaster Management, Disaster Governance, and Disaster Citizenship", Economy and Society, Vol. 104, WN, pp. 56-80, 2014.
- M. B.A. van Asselta and O. Renn, "Risk Governance", Journal of Risk Research, Vol. 14. No. 4, pp. 431-449, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1080/13669877.2011.553730
- S. Hilgartner, "Overflow and Containment in the Aftermath of Disaster", Social Studies of Science, Vol. 37. No. 1, pp. 153-158. https://doi.org/10.1177/0306312706069439
- B. Ulrich, translated by M. Ritter, "Risk Society : Towards a New Modernity", Sage Publications, London; Thousand Oaks, Calif., 1992.
- Relevant Ministries, "The Second Disaster and Safety Management Technology Development Plan", NSTC, 2012.
- National Science Foundation, "Awards Advanced Search", Available: http://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/advancedSearch.jsp [Accessed Nov. 2, 2015]
- National Science Foundation, "About the National Science Foundation", Available: http://www.nsf.gov/about/ [Accessed Apr. 4, 2016]
- Database of Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research, Available: https://kaken.nii.ac.jp/ [Accessed, Nov. 3, 2015]
- Japan Society for the Promotion of Science, "About Us", Available: https://www.jsps.go.jp/aboutus/index.html [Accessed, Apr. 5, 2016]
- OECD, "Demand-side Innovation Policies", OECD Publishing, 2011.
- MSIP, "Open Call Citizen Research Program To Solve Social Issues 2015", 2015.
- J. H. Yoon and Y. B. Lee, "Demand of R&D for Preventing Disaster & Safety Accidents", Journal of the Korea Society of Disaster Information, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp. 467-474, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15683/kosdi.2015.11.4.467
- S. H. Choi, "Neural Network Model for Prediction of Damage Cost from Storm and Flood", Journal of Korea Information Science Society: Software and Applications, Vol. 38, No. 3, pp. 115-123, 2011.
- K. J. Jung, "A Study on the Improvements of Disaster and Safety R&D Policy System by the Establishment of MPSS", KISTEP Issue Paper 2014-14, KISTEP, 2014.