- Volume 31 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Reliability-Based Performance Assessment and Prediction of Tendon Corrosion in K-UHPC Bridges
K-UHPC 교량의 긴장재 부식에 관한 신뢰성 기반 성능 평가 및 예측
- Received : 2016.03.17
- Accepted : 2016.04.25
- Published : 2016.06.30
Tendon corrosion reliability in KICT-ultra high performance concrete (K-UHPC) bridges is assessed and predicted considering uncertainties in flexural bending capacity and corrosion occurrence. In post-tensioning bridge systems, corrosion is a one of most critical failure mechanisms due to strength reduction by it. During the entire service life, those bridges may experience lifetime corrosion deterioration initiated and propagated in tendons which are embedded not only in normal concrete but also in K-UHPC. For this reason, the time-variant corrosion performance has to be assessed. In the absence of in-depth researches associated with K-UHPC tendon corrosion, a reliability-based prediction model is developed to evaluate lifetime corrosion performance of tendon in K-UHPC bridges. In 2015, KICT built a K-UHPC pilot bridge at 168/5~168/6 milestone on Yangon-Mandalay Expressway in Myanmar, by using locally produced tendons which post-tensioned in longitudinal and lateral ways of K-UHPC girders. For an illustrative purpose, this K-UHPC bridge is used to identify the time-variant corrosion performance.
tendon corrosion;uncertainty;lifetime reliability prediction;K-UHPC bridges
- T. Cho, "Maximum Crack Width Control in Concrete Bridges Affected by Corrosion", J. Korean Soc. Saf., Vol. 21, No. 3, pp. 114-121, 2006.
- J. G. Kim, Y. W. Sohn, C. B. Lee and Y. K. Ahn, "Reliability Analysis Models for Maintenance of Bridge Structures", Korea Institute for Structural Maintenance and Inspection, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 251-261, 2004.
- H. Y. Nam, D. W. Seo, B. S. Han and S. W. Shin, "Reliability Assessment of Concrete Beams Reinforced with GFRP Bars", Korea Concrete Institute, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 185-188, 2008. https://doi.org/10.4334/JKCI.2008.20.2.185
- B. R. Ellingwood, "Risk-informed Condition Assessment of Civil Infrastructure: State of Practice and Research Issues", Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 7-18, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1080/15732470412331289341
- V. S. Nguyen, M. C. Jeong, T. S. Han and J. S. Kong, "Reliability-based Optimisation of Post-tensioned Concrete Box Girder Bridges Considering Pitting Corrosion Attack", Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 78-96, 2013.
- T. Nu, M. Win, B. S. Kim, G. T. Koh and K. Kwon, "Introduction of Korea UHPC Technology to Myanmar via Knowledge Sharing Plan with Pilot Project in 2015", East-Asia Structural Engineering and Construction (EASEC)-14, January in Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam, 2016.
- R. Woodward, "Durability of Post-tensioned Tendons on Road Bridges in the UK", Proceedings of Workshop on Durability of Post-tensioning Tendons, FIB, pp. 75-88, 2001.
- K. T. Koh, Y. H. Park, G. S. Ryu, B. W. Kim, K. H. Ahn and C. J. Park, "Development of Void Zero Grouting Technologies for Prestressed Concrete Bridges", Korea Institute of Civil Engineering and Building Technology, Report No. 2014-191, 2014.
- P. C. Hoffman and R. E. Weyers, "Predicting Critical Chloride Levels in Concrete Bridge Decks", Proceedings of ICOSSAR'93, Rotterdam, pp. 957-059, 1994.
- A. Bentur, S. Diamon and N. S. Berke, "Steel Corrosion in Concrete", Fundamental and Civil Engineering Practice, 1st Edition, London, UK, Taylor & Francis Group, 1997.
- P. S. Marsh and D. M. Frangopol, "Reinforced Concrete Bridge Deck Reliability Model Incorporating Temporal and Spatial Variations of Probabilistic Corrosion Rate Sensor Data", Reliability Engineering and System Safety, Vol. 93, pp. 394-409, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ress.2006.12.011
- J. C. Scheydt, G. Herold and H. S. Muller, "Long Term Behavior of UHPC under the Attack of Chlorides and Aggressive Waters", Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium on UHPC, Kassel, Germany, 2008.
- F. Akgul, "Lifetime System Reliability Predictioni for Multiple Structure Types in a Bridge Network", Ph. D. Thesis, University of Colorado, 2002.
- A. Sagues, R. G. Powers and H. Wang, "Mechanism of Corrosion of Steel Strands in Post Tensioned Grouted Assemblies", Corrosion 2003 Conference, ID 03312, 2003.
- KICT, "Design Guidelines for K-UHPC", Korea Institute of Civil Engineering and Building Technology, 2014.
- AASHTO, "AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Specifications: Loading & General Information", US, 2007.
- A. C. Estes and D. M. Frangopol, "RELSYS: A Computer Program for Structural System Reliability Analysis", Structural Engineering and Mechanics, Vol. 6, No. 8, pp. 901-919, 1998. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.19188.8.131.521
Supported by : 국토교통과학기술진흥원