- Volume 31 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
AE Application for Fracture Behavior of SiC Reinforced CFRP Composites
SiC 강화 CFRP 복합재의 파괴거동에 관한 음향방출 적용
- Ryu, Yeong Rok (Department of Safety Engineering, Graduate School, Pukyong National University) ;
- Yun, Yu Seong (Department of Safety Engineering, Pukyong National University) ;
- Kwon, Oh Heon (Department of Safety Engineering, Pukyong National University)
- Received : 2016.02.17
- Accepted : 2016.04.25
- Published : 2016.06.30
Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic(CFRP) composite with a higher specific strength and rigidity is more excellent than conventional metallic materials or other organic polymer of FRP. It has been widely used in vehicles, aerospaces and high technology industries which are associated with nuclear power fields. However, CFRP laminated composite has several disadvantages as like a delamination, matrix brittleness and anisotropic fibers that are the weak points of the crack initiation. In this present work, the reinforced silicon carbide(SiC) particles were added to the interlayer of CFRP laminates in order to mitigate the physical vulnerability affecting the cracking and breaking of the matrix in the CFRP laminated composite because of excellent specific strength and thermal shock resistance characteristics of SiC. The 1wt% of SiC particles were spread into the CFRP prepreg by using a spray coating method. After that, CFRP prepregs were laminated for the specimen. Also, the twill woven type CFRP prepreg was used because it has excellent workability. Thus the mechanical and fracture behaviors of the twill woven CFRP laminated composite reinforced with SiC particles were investigated with the acoustic emission(AE) method under a fracture test. The results show that the SiC particles enhance the mechanical and fracture characteristics of the twill CFRP laminate composite.
Twill CFRP laminate composite;Silicon carbide(SiC);Acoustic emission(AE);Fracture behavior
Supported by : 부경대학교
- R. M. Jones, Mechanics of composite materials, McGrawHill, Washington, D.C., pp.2-3, 1975.
- J. L. Y. Tan, V. S. Deshipande and N. A. Fleck, "Failure Mechanisms of a Notched CFRP Laminate under Multiaxial Loading", Composite: Part A, Vol. 77, pp.56-66, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesa.2015.06.005
- D. J. Kwon, Z. J. Wang, J. J. Kim, K. W. Jang and J. M. Park, "Improvement of Mechanical and Interfacial Properties of Carbon Fiber/Epoxy Composites by Adding Nano SiC Fillers", Adgesion and Interface, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp.75-81, 2013. https://doi.org/10.17702/jai.2013.14.2.075
- S. J. Park, J. S. Oh, J. R. Lee and K. Y. Rhee, "Effect of Surface Treated SiC on Thermal Stability and Mechanical Interfacial Properties of Carbon Fiber/Epoxy Resin Composites", Composites Research, Vol. 16, No.3, pp.25-31, 2003.
- D. Liu, G. Li, B. Li, Y. Luan, H. Ling and X. Yang, " In-situ Toughened CFRP Composites by Shear-calender Orientation and Fiber Bundle Filtration of PA Microparticles at Prepreg Interlayer", Composites: Part A, Vol. 84, pp. 165-174, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesa.2016.01.015
- K. Y. Jang, H. W. Lee and J. D. Kim, "AE Source on Line Localization on Material with Unknown Acoustic Wave Propagation Velocity", KSME(A), Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 688-694, 1998.
- Y. S. Yun and O. H. Kwon, "The Evaluation of Interlaminar Fracture toughness and AE Characteristics in a Plain Woven CFRP Composite with DCB Specimen", Journal of the Korean Society of Safety, Vol. 20, No.1, pp.49-54, 2005.
- G. Nicoletto and E. Riva, "Failure Mechanism in Twill-weave Laminates:FEM Prediction vs. Experiments", Composites: Part A, Vol. 35, pp.787-795, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesa.2004.01.007
- Standard Test Method for "Tensile Properties of Polymer Matrix Composite Materials", ASTM D 3039, 2000.
- Standard Test Method for "Plane-Strain Fracture Toughness of Metallic Materials", ASTM E 399, 1997.
- T. L. Anderson, Fracture Mechanics:Fundamentals and Applications, CRC Press, Florida, 1994.
- K. Kageyama, K. Nonaka, S. Shimamura and S. Fukuda, "Fracture Toughness and Acoustic Emission of Carboncloth/poxy Composite", The Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol. 50, pp. 1260-1266, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1299/kikaia.50.1260